Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Afridavit, does it need to be sworn?

Afridavit, does it need to be sworn?

Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Afridavit, does it need to be sworn?

hi all you nice people!

I have had loads of help since joining this site about lots of migration issues.
A while back i posted about parental consent from absent parents. I was given some really useful help, someone (sorry i can't remember the name!) sent me a transcript of the format of what to write for an affidafit, which then is taken to a solicitors with absent parents details on and absent parent signs it in the presence of a solicitor. i was just wondering if the Affidafit has to be sworn by a solicitor before it is signed, i know i could ring my solicitor but she charges me £20.00! regards
ellen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Hi Ellen1

As far as I know, it has to be signed in front of the solicitor- this is what my other half had to do with his and also his first boss who is no longer in business.

I could be wrong!

Hope this helps?!?

Good luck with everything.

Cheers
Poppy
Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Afridavit, does it need to be sworn?

Originally posted by ellen1
hi all you nice people!

I have had loads of help since joining this site about lots of migration issues.
A while back i posted about parental consent from absent parents. I was given some really useful help, someone (sorry i can't remember the name!) sent me a transcript of the format of what to write for an affidafit, which then is taken to a solicitors with absent parents details on and absent parent signs it in the presence of a solicitor. i was just wondering if the Affidafit has to be sworn by a solicitor before it is signed, i know i could ring my solicitor but she charges me £20.00! regards
ellen
Ellen,

Standard fee for a "swear" (affidavit or statutory declaration) is £5 plus £2 for any exhibits. I s'pose if you've asked your solicitor to check the content she could justifiably charge more....

Where are you? If you're anywhere near Southampton/ Fareham I'll do it for you for free! (I'm a solicitor)

Nicola
Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the advice and the offer nicola, but alas i am in Nottinghamshire!

so with out sounding too stupid, does this mean the letter of consent has to be sworn, or can my ex just sighn it front of my solicitor?

thanks for help

regards ellen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice and the offer nicola, but alas i am in Nottinghamshire!

so with out sounding too stupid, does this mean the letter of consent has to be sworn, or can my ex just sighn it front of my solicitor?

thanks for help

regards ellen
To be honest Ellen, if you're going to get your solicitor to witness it, she'll probably charge just the same as if it's a swear. Depends on the wording of the document as to whether it is a swear - what words have you get at the beginning? Are you anywhere near a County Court - they normally do swears for free.

Nicola
Old Jun 11th 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

hi Nicola

thanks for your help, i have sent you an e-mail with the transcript of the letter i was given by another postie who said they used it.

thanks again

ellen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

hi Nicola

thanks for your help, i have sent you an e-mail with the transcript of the letter i was given by another postie who said they used it.

thanks again

ellen

That postie was me!!

I just took the letter to solicitors and the other party did a little speech - basically reading out that he had no objections to his Son emigrating. Then he signed in front of the solicitor who witnessed it.

It cost £5 and I got 2 certified copies just in case, which were £2 each. Definately get copies or 2 originals as DIMIA mislaid my letter for a while and I had to send another.

Good luck with it all.

Tina
Old Jun 11th 2003, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Ellen,
By the way our visa has been approved now so the wording on the Affadavit was accepted by them.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:45 pm
Badge

bloody hell sounds expensive

every time I swear I have to put 20p in the swearbox at work!

badgers

Old Jun 12th 2003, 7:28 pm
earlswood

Ellen1,

Got all of our docs certified today and our solicitors and he confirmed that the absent parent must sign the affidafit in his presence.

Earlswood

Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

lau and mart is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just got all our stuff together for visa application. Our agent has advised us that the absent parent needs to sign a letter saying that he has no problems with his children emigrating to Australia on a PERMEMENT basis. Basically I wrote the letter stating this and the absent partner signed it in front of the solicitor - no speeches etc. the solicitor then stamped the letter to say she had witnessed it cost about £2 hope this helps. lau and mart
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

thank you all for your help,
my own solicitor didn't have a clue! and charges me £150.00 per hr!

cheers
ellen

Old Jul 5th 2003, 1:09 pm
Wet nose wheatie

wendy collins is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a copy of a declaration from an absent parent they could email out to me?