Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

affording to live !!

affording to live !!

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough
Default affording to live !!

I have been having a look at cost of living etc and dont understand how people can afford to live in aus .. already had medicals so nearly there ...
we are looking at either Perth or Sunshine coast .. been told bricklayers will earn approx $200-250 per day les tax (alot less that we earn now) ... so 1000-1250 per week less tax less bills
approx $200 per week electric / ins etc
$150-200 per week supermarket
$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
wages come out with maybe $750.00 - $480.00 leaves $270.00 ..
how can we buy a house for this .. average house £350000 - $ 450000
had a look at what we can borrow on $1000.00 per week and tops $155.000 .. and thats without any medicals bill or clothes ..
Please can someone help .. I really am having sleepless nights as whether we are doing the right thing or not !!!!!!!
We have a nice house good jobs ( I work 2 days a week in travel) and 1 ski holiday and 1 summer holiday per year ... do we go or stay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:22 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: affording to live !!

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
I have been having a look at cost of living etc and dont understand how people can afford to live in aus .. already had medicals so nearly there ...
we are looking at either Perth or Sunshine coast .. been told bricklayers will earn approx $200-250 per day les tax (alot less that we earn now) ... so 1000-1250 per week less tax less bills
$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
had a look at what we can borrow on $1000.00 per week and tops $155.000 .. and thats without any medicals bill or clothes ..
Please can someone help .. I really am having sleepless nights as whether we are doing the right thing or not !!!!!!!
We have a nice house good jobs ( I work 2 days a week in travel) and 1 ski holiday and 1 summer holiday per year ... do we go or stay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont know where you get your numbers from. Everyone is different but for my wife and I living in Sydney we survived on between $1,000 and $1200 per month for all living costs on top of our rent. Those costs included running a 4 wheel drive, transport costs, food, bills, clothes and entertainment for 2 people. We were being quite careful as we were saving for a house deposit, but we didn't exaclty live like paupers for that cost. We had friends there who spent double what we did each month.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:57 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
Dont know where you got these figure but think you are being over optomististic... Brickies in OZ earn about $750 pw (ave - you might g4et more but bugfet for $750) In Perth its about 650-700 $

Having saidthat I took a 70% cut in salary - Hubby took a 90% cut in salary in ordwr to do apprentoceship - and still we are saving mone6y. Dont have the 4 hols per year but dont want them either. Have bought oour owen house and could pay moprtgge off in 8 years. Would not be poss in UK even on 'full" salary./

Its all about lifestyle

One thing to consider ......... WA has salaries 10-15% below Est coast but house prices approx 40% below East coast - Do the math !!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:14 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
I hate to say this but in reality if someone generally has a good job here, nice house and a couple of holidays per year the chances are you will not be "better off". Of course, it depends what better off means to the individual...

By migrating to another country I believe that one can expect a drop in salary if not grade of employment. We are afterall, migrants in a foreign country, albeit very willing ones!

I believe that its more a lifestyle decision as mentioned above.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough

dont get me wrong I know the wages will be lower and I know the lifestyle will be better I suppose I am just looking for reassurance that we can live and not think oh we better not buy that this week we dont have the cash ..
its just the closer we get the more I am getting cold feet
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:39 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

dont get me wrong I know the wages will be lower and I know the lifestyle will be better I suppose I am just looking for reassurance that we can live and not think oh we better not buy that this week we dont have the cash ..
if you're anything like me sara, you will be thinking of reasons for NOT going...fear of the unknown etc. i am due to start a new job on monday (only 10 hours per week), but i havent worked for 4 years, so i am a tad nervous (in fact VERY nervous!!). i have also been offered 2 jobs in the past, i accepted them and then turned them down. i had to go in today to sort out my hours, they had to fit in around the kids. i had in my head that they werent going to be flexible and that i wouldnt have the job to go to, as i wouldnt be able to do it. in the back of my mind, do i really want this job?? is it going to be waste of time as were are going to aus next year? (have only told immediate family) is it fair on the little boy? (job is SEN teaching assistant to a child with aspergers).

the crux of what i am trying to say, is that you may think of any reason(s) why you shouldnt be doing what you are wanting to do!!! its the fear factor, fear of the unknown.

we too will be leaving a good life here, but if you dont try it, you wont know.

you'll be fine, you live to your means anyway. i might have to work in australia instead of hubbie, as the travel jobs seem well paid over there. (not that i want to, cant imagine him as a house husband :scared: ). but needs must, but we wont know until we get out there.

SB

ps. sorry if i sound patronising
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:49 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I guess thats the million dollar question - Its Australia and not Utopia and the visa comes with no guarantees. We've 21 days left in this country and given up work, a sucessful and very stressful business, sold the house and now sorting out the upheaval of our lives. Often we have asked ourselves why are we doing this and what do we hope to achieve. Of course we have panic moments - its the biggest change we have ever made and doubts and uncertainies are part of the process.

For us, its about living a different sort of life and we've just signed out of the UK rat race. Emigration for us is an adventure and like all adventures it will have its ups and downs. I would prefer more ups but it will bring what it brings and whatever that may be we'll enjoy it as best we're able.

When you put it all in perspective we're all on this BE in the top 1% of earners in the world. Enjoy the adventure you've begun. Its one heck of a story to tell the kids/grandkids
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: affording to live !!

$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
I am an Australian living in the UK. I earn the same amount here for a 38-hour-a-week job that I used to earn back home for a 25-hour-a-week job.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00
Don't forget the cold wet rainy windy winter days,little or no summer, the traffic chaos, rip off prices , fuel cost, work.........etc.............etc. Its not all about MONEY,it's the Oz life style.

Last edited by AndyD; Sep 2nd 2005 at 8:45 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

$50-80 per week petrol
ttl $480.00

Have you got kids? I posted an article the other day, it was pretty much ignored too much reality I think but it showed 40% of australian families claim more in welfare than they pay in tax, in other words, if you have kids, you would probably get family benefits, its not like the UK, family beneftis are about $5000 a kid, thats how families survive welfare top ups. On top of that many more families are eligible for part benefits. Most immigrants are eligible from the day they arrive, the main pitfall is most see whats available and claim the lot then end up with a whopping over repayment bill when its balanced with their taxable income at the end of the tax year.

Your petrol sounds way to low if your partners a tradesman - need big vehicle and distances, and unless you move somewhere with a bus service two cars is the norm.

Livining costs have gone crazy the last two years, petrol has gone up 30% since february, and food goes up weekly due to lack of competititon, drought and petrol increases, obviously a big factor in a big country. Your figures sound OK for a couple, low for a family. Dont forget to allow for medical costs, education and providing a pension, australais is subject to an asset test, generally its recommended you save and provide your own pension.

Its about time we did a current cost of living thread, they have been done before but even 2004 living costs would be out of date now.

I guess the answer is if you want to get on here, living on one wage is difficult you would probably need 2, just like anywhere really.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I am an Australian living in the UK. I earn the same amount here for a 38-hour-a-week job that I used to earn back home for a 25-hour-a-week job.
So you keep saying, what do you do, where, and where in OZ did you earn this great income and how long ago? You seem very homesick for OZ, why dont you just pack up and go back here.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=sara-anthony3108]
QUOTE]

This figure seems a little little high, should it be about $20pw?

WW
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=wanderingwombat]
QUOTE]

This figure seems a little little high, should it be about $20pw?

WW
As the only other costs listed were only food and petrol, the $200 etc would need to cover elec, rates, water, house insurance, car insurances, life insurance, superannuation, regos, phones, internet, medical, education, repairs, clothing etc etc etc Dont think it would go far at all
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:51 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I reckon if your a brickie and good at what you do you will be earning double what you suggest.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I know we're not actually in Oz yet, but went for a two week reccie last August and spent most of this driving around looking for brickies for my hubby to chat to.

No one we spoke to was earning that low - lowest was $500 a day, job ads in WA not that much different either. Guess it depends where and how long you work. My hubby always sniffs out the best prices, moves on when necessary, is prepared to travel and works his backside off.
I guess if you just went on a big site where you work for someone else doing just 4.5 short days a week, then you will earn less

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.