Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advise Please Re School Year For Kids

Advise Please Re School Year For Kids

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future
Default Advise Please Re School Year For Kids

Hi there, hope someone can assist with me working out which school year my children will go into.

In September in the UK my 11 year old son (April Birthday) would be going to secondary school and be in year 7. My 13 year old daughter (14 in Dec)would be starting year 9

We are moving to Perth in September and wondering which school year they will be starting in. Obviously they will only be in this year for the final term.

Also, is my son old enough to go to a high school with my daughter or are there only single sex schools in Perth.

Any advice on good schools. My daughter is well advanced in Maths and has been top in most subjects in England.

Thanks in advance and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Helen

Also, which high schools around Perth would
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:33 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise Please Re School Year For Kids

Originally Posted by HJAMES
Hi there, hope someone can assist with me working out which school year my children will go into.

In September in the UK my 11 year old son (April Birthday) would be going to secondary school and be in year 7. My 13 year old daughter (14 in Dec)would be starting year 9

We are moving to Perth in September and wondering which school year they will be starting in. Obviously they will only be in this year for the final term.

Also, is my son old enough to go to a high school with my daughter or are there only single sex schools in Perth.

Any advice on good schools. My daughter is well advanced in Maths and has been top in most subjects in England.

Thanks in advance and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Helen

Also, which high schools around Perth would
Son would be in year 6 primary,daughter year 9 high school.

Where about in Perth are coming?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ransi
Son would be in year 6 primary,daughter year 9 high school.

Where about in Perth are coming?
Does that mean then from Feb 07, my son will be in year 7 and my daugher year 10.

Not sure which part of Perth, my sister is in Morley, but depends on where hubby will work, where we live and where the good schools are.

Thanks

Helen
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:58 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean then from Feb 07, my son will be in year 7 and my daugher year 10.

Not sure which part of Perth, my sister is in Morley, but depends on where hubby will work, where we live and where the good schools are.

Thanks

Helen
Yes

No worries
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ransi
Yes

No worries
Gosh, that seems frightening. To think my daughter will be one of the youngest in her year. At the moment she is one of the oldest.

Would you say this is to her advantage because in UK she is above average.

She would be doing GSE Maths in 2 years if we were staying in England.

Are the children placed in sets in Aus just like UK

Where in Perth are you. Any reccommendations.
Thanks

Helen
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:24 am
Cheeky member

Gosh, that seems frightening. To think my daughter will be one of the youngest in her year. At the moment she is one of the oldest.

Thanks

Helen
Was the same for my son Sept birthday.

Cant really comment on your daughter but defo an advantage for my son.

Im renting in Ocean Reef,dont know where we'll end up though (expensive everywhere)...Morley would be a good base when you come,we stayed near there when we arrived
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Helen

When I went to the schools I was asked which year I wanted the kids to go in. My son who is 13 has gone into year 8 on his say so. The schools out here are very good with UK immigrants and placing kids in schools. If your kids start school and are too far ahead of the rest of the class they will put them up a year, or they will start them in the year above and if they can't cope with the work they will keep them in that year for another school year.

Don't worry about them, my son adores school here whereas in the UK he hated it.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WendyC
When I went to the schools I was asked which year I wanted the kids to go in. My son who is 13 has gone into year 8 on his say so. The schools out here are very good with UK immigrants and placing kids in schools. If your kids start school and are too far ahead of the rest of the class they will put them up a year, or they will start them in the year above and if they can't cope with the work they will keep them in that year for another school year.

Don't worry about them, my son adores school here whereas in the UK he hated it.
Thanks Wendy, thats re-assuring. I will just wait and see when we get there.

Helen