Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advise on living in Melbourne

Advise on living in Melbourne

Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on living in Melbourne

We are hoping to move to Melbourne and can't decide where to go. My husband will be working in the city and we'd like to be about 1/2 an hour away. Not that I'm prejudiced, but I would prefer to live in an Aussie/British community. We've never even been to Oz, but while my husban is sorting out the visa side of things, I;m trying to look for a good area to live for us and our 3 young kids.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi Were moving to Melbourne early next year, going over in October to validat our Visa's. I have made three trips prior to our validation trip. If I were to live nearer the city (cant afford too) then areas like Surry Hills (east melbourne), would be about half an hour away and quite green for its proximity to the city. I also like Templestowe, again this is in the east.
Most whites seem to settle east of the city, with the north and west of the city been mainly greek, italian vietnamise and Japanese. Just an observation.

Hope this helps.

65kk

Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:38 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Advise on living in Melbourne

[, I;m trying to look for a good area to live for us and our 3 young kids. [/QUOTE] Hi, we are moving over roughly about september/october and we are going to wantirna or mitcham area, its around 20 mins half hour ish travel to the city by train but you have to think about the zones for travel..1-2-3 the more zones you have to travel through its more expensive but the price of travel is so much cheaper than over here its unreal. There is a good site were you can more or less see the area,s and plan your work travel stuff on and you can get it on www.victrip.com.au .
Hope you get sorted out anyway and good luck
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, how come you have to go over to validate your visa? With us having such young children (7,2,and1) we can't ttake them all for a visit. We're just gonna go! Thanks for your info, I will check out the house prices.
Originally posted by 65 million
Hi Were moving to Melbourne early next year, going over in October to validat our Visa's. I have made three trips prior to our validation trip. If I were to live nearer the city (cant afford too) then areas like Surry Hills (east melbourne), would be about half an hour away and quite green for its proximity to the city. I also like Templestowe, again this is in the east.
Most whites seem to settle east of the city, with the north and west of the city been mainly greek, italian vietnamise and Japanese. Just an observation.

Hope this helps.

65kk

Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jo,

How did you choose where to live. Do you have family over there? It would be great to get some info from people who have already been. I live in the North west and I want to move to get a bit more sunshine, plus all the other things. I'll check out the ares you suggested. Thanks a lot.

Noodle
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:06 am

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by noodle
Hi Jo,

How did you choose where to live. Do you have family over there? It would be great to get some info from people who have already been. I live in the North west and I want to move to get a bit more sunshine, plus all the other things. I'll check out the ares you suggested. Thanks a lot.

Noodle
Hi again...yes i have family there, but they live a bit further out, in Berwick... nice area but its around an hours train drive to the city..What line of work does your husband do?mine husband works for a australian computer firm in york at the moment and thats why we are going to wantirna cos his job takes him to Doncaster, so we want to be close to work otherwise we would have gone back to Berwick or Narre warren ( were i am originally from ) good luck anyway....
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:08 am

Originally posted by noodle
Hi Jo,

How did you plus all the other things. I'll check out the ares you suggested. Thanks a lot.

Noodle
hi its me yet again.. have you looked at the housing site...www.realestate.com.au
you can get some useful things off there also..
good luck AGAIN..
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi Noodle,
Its been ten years since my wife has visited melbourne, so just want her to have another look round and re-confirm she's happy to go ahead,then ifso we go home and put the house up for sale.
regards,

65kk
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hope you'll both be very happy. Do you know people over there, or do you have family? We don't know anyone. It's all rather scary, but I don't care, I really want to go.

Noodle
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hope you'll both be very happy. Do you know people over there, or do you have family? We don't know anyone. It's all rather scary, but I don't care, I really want to go.

Noodle