Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advise on banking

Advise on banking

Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advise on banking

Hi when we move to OZ my plan was to cancel all bank accounts/ credit cards. Set up an HIFX account so the money from the sale of my house could be transfered there, and take some money in travelers cheques with us to OZ. When we get to OZ open a bank account and transferee money from HIFX to new account. But when reading some threads people have already opened up accounts for OZ from the UK and some recommend opening a Nationwide felexaccount, and i have now been told to take a credit card with me as i will need it for renting and hiring a car.

So just wondering how other Expats are going to do it or have done it, is my way wrong. Do i need to take a credit card with me if so will i be allowed to change the address to my moms when i wont be there.

Stacey xx
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on banking

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi when we move to OZ my plan was to cancel all bank accounts/ credit cards. Set up an HIFX account so the money from the sale of my house could be transfered there, and take some money in travelers cheques with us to OZ. When we get to OZ open a bank account and transferee money from HIFX to new account. But when reading some threads people have already opened up accounts for OZ from the UK and some recommend opening a Nationwide felexaccount, and i have now been told to take a credit card with me as i will need it for renting and hiring a car.

So just wondering how other Expats are going to do it or have done it, is my way wrong. Do i need to take a credit card with me if so will i be allowed to change the address to my moms when i wont be there.

Stacey xx
Keep at least one bank account and credit card. I use mine to buy presents for family back home. It also means that you're maintaining a credit history, should things not work out here.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your accounts and cards many will allow you to have an overseas address. It is useful to keep one in the UK for a while at least in case of rebates from tax etc.

We have opened an account with westpac but will keep our nationwide flexaccount (great and cheap for taking money out overseas-never get currency or travellers cheques-just go to cashpoint in airport!) here.

Will be checking our credit cards as want to keep at least one as we have good credit limit built up.

Rammygirl
Old Apr 11th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would bring a credit card with you as in our case we needed to purchase furniture and there is a daily limit on the bank card so it was useless really and although we managed to get a credit card here straight away the limit was too low. If you bank online in UK then you can just leave some money in that account and pay the credit card bill online.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your advice, going to open a Nationwide Flexaccount and enquire about there credit card.

Stacey xx
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice

Definitely get a Nationwide Flex Account, I have travelled a lot with mine and its alway good to know you are not getting charged for withdrawals everytime. I would also take a credit card for the big purchases you may have to make.