Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on travel insurance fo a year in OZ please!

advice on travel insurance fo a year in OZ please!

Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Britster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to allBritster is a name known to all
Question advice on travel insurance fo a year in OZ please!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning to spend a year in Australia from Aug this year (with a view to staying out longer if we can get sponsorship). We are both fit and healthy and in our late 20's. Not planning to do extreme sports. Could someone recommend a good (but not overly expensive) insurance company to cover us for a year please?

There is so much out there and have tried shopping around with moneysupermarket.com and a few others like that but they come up with names I haven't heard of and I'm a bit wary of booking with some cowboy company!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: advice on travel insurance fo a year in OZ please!

Often they offer really good travel insurance with you credit cards. Sometimes its part of the package.

Otherwise have you tried travel agent as often because of their buying power they could get you a good deal.

Good Luck

T
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that credit card insurance differs greatly from card to card and most are not very good at all.

Also any insurance is not likely to cover you for more than a certain amount of time out of the UK, unless it is a specific "gap" insurance type.

American Express UK offer a gap year insurance for up to 24 months and still enable you to return to the UK for holidays and be covered etc.

They have one of the best policies in the business I have found over the years with unlimited cover in many regards, generous in others and cover sports as standard which are excluded from a lot of policies such as scuba etc.

You can quote and cover online at www.americanexpress.co.uk on the insurance tab.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

I'm in a similar position. I'm going over to Adelaide on a 12 month working holiday visa at the end of December, but will be applying for a de facto relationship visa after 8 months. Therefore I'm going to be needing up to 12 months cover so will keeping a close eye on this thread.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Just been looking at some recommended insurers on gapyear.com and DownUnder Insurance (www.duinsure.com) look good. 12 months Adventurer cover (covers scuba, bungeeing, white water rafting, etc) would only cost £211 compared with the £279 that American Express want for the same level of cover. Excesses and payout limits appear to be similar too.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I know that when my mother paid for my nephew to come for a year (WHV) he had travel insurance and his ticket bought through local travel agent. Sorry I don't have details anymore but I think they booked through Thomas Cook. It can't have been that expensive as my mum wouldn't have been able to pay.

T
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

i always use this company for my insurance, for backpackers insurance gold level its £170

http://quote.insureandgo.com/Backpackers/compare.aspx

kelly