Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on taking an older cat to Oz.

Advice on taking an older cat to Oz.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:51 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Advice on taking an older cat to Oz.

Hi All,

I really need some advice from people who have taken older and/or ill pets to Australia, and how they're settled in?

We're off to Sydney at the end of November and I've just started to make arrangements for our three cats, but I'm agonising over what to do about Winston, my eldest cat, who is nearly 18 years old.

Win was diagnosed with liver disease in 2004 at which time the vet gave him six months - nearly 3 years later he's still going, although over the last six months he's started to exhibit some signs of illness but otherwise he's fine in himself - he's eating well and is still active but getting abit doddery on his feet as you'd expect given his age. I take him for check-ups every four months and our vet says that Win is in no pain or discomfort but that his liver is now severely distended. He's given up guessing how long Win might have left.

Part of me says I should have Win put to sleep before we leave for Oz - he's old, ill and the stress of travelling might just be too much for him. On the other hand, he's fine in himself and for all I know he could well have another year left. He's such a laid-back cat, I know he'll settle quickly once he's over the journey.

Dave thinks I should have him put down and that it would be selfish of me to put him through this (the cat, not Dave! ). I'm trying to think with my head, not my heart, but it's very hard to think that Win would be put to sleep before his time to go is here.

I'm taking him to the vets on Saturday to discuss with the vet but I have to make a decision by next week, as we need to apply for the Import Permits.

Any advice/guidance from people who have been through a similar thing would be appreciated.

Nicky
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on taking an older cat to Oz.

I really really sympathise and feel sick for you for what a hard decision it is. We've got four cats and two dogs to take to oz in next couple of months (visas permitting). One of ours is 15 and has been with me through everything. She's got a thyroid problem but is ok on tablets and have no real family to rehome her with. Can't even face the idea to be honest as she's been with me through everything and it feels like we'd be deserting her so we're going to chance taking her. I dread anything happening to her on the flight or in quarantine as I'd feel so guilty.

Our situtaion is different to yours though as we've had tests done on her kidneys and liver to check they're ok and touch wood, they seem ok. Our vet (sorry as I know this may upset you but you may be told the same by your vet) says that sometimes the stress and the journey can push older ones into renal failure ) and even our vet is saying to rehome her as the stress of it eg flight etc is a lot for any cat, never mind an old lady .

ON the positive side I've spoken to our animals shippers and they say they've flown older cats adn dogtainers in brisbane who say they've done the same and all ok, but with your old fellow's history it's such a hard decision. I think you've got to do what you think in your heart is right and be guided by your vet.

Please let me know what you decide and just want to let you know am th inkin gof you. x

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi All,

I really need some advice from people who have taken older and/or ill pets to Australia, and how they're settled in?

We're off to Sydney at the end of November and I've just started to make arrangements for our three cats, but I'm agonising over what to do about Winston, my eldest cat, who is nearly 18 years old.

Win was diagnosed with liver disease in 2004 at which time the vet gave him six months - nearly 3 years later he's still going, although over the last six months he's started to exhibit some signs of illness but otherwise he's fine in himself - he's eating well and is still active but getting abit doddery on his feet as you'd expect given his age. I take him for check-ups every four months and our vet says that Win is in no pain or discomfort but that his liver is now severely distended. He's given up guessing how long Win might have left.

Part of me says I should have Win put to sleep before we leave for Oz - he's old, ill and the stress of travelling might just be too much for him. On the other hand, he's fine in himself and for all I know he could well have another year left. He's such a laid-back cat, I know he'll settle quickly once he's over the journey.

Dave thinks I should have him put down and that it would be selfish of me to put him through this (the cat, not Dave! ). I'm trying to think with my head, not my heart, but it's very hard to think that Win would be put to sleep before his time to go is here.

I'm taking him to the vets on Saturday to discuss with the vet but I have to make a decision by next week, as we need to apply for the Import Permits.

Any advice/guidance from people who have been through a similar thing would be appreciated.

Nicky
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:15 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

If the cat had the choice himself l'm sure he would rather put up with the stress of a long journey then have a lethal injection.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:21 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If the cat had the choice himself l'm sure he would rather put up with the stress of a long journey then have a lethal injection.
*Sigh* There's always one, isn't there!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:31 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by liver bird
I really really sympathise and feel sick for you for what a hard decision it is. We've got four cats and two dogs to take to oz in next couple of months (visas permitting). One of ours is 15 and has been with me through everything. She's got a thyroid problem but is ok on tablets and have no real family to rehome her with. Can't even face the idea to be honest as she's been with me through everything and it feels like we'd be deserting her so we're going to chance taking her. I dread anything happening to her on the flight or in quarantine as I'd feel so guilty.

Our situtaion is different to yours though as we've had tests done on her kidneys and liver to check they're ok and touch wood, they seem ok. Our vet (sorry as I know this may upset you but you may be told the same by your vet) says that sometimes the stress and the journey can push older ones into renal failure ) and even our vet is saying to rehome her as the stress of it eg flight etc is a lot for any cat, never mind an old lady .

ON the positive side I've spoken to our animals shippers and they say they've flown older cats adn dogtainers in brisbane who say they've done the same and all ok, but with your old fellow's history it's such a hard decision. I think you've got to do what you think in your heart is right and be guided by your vet.

Please let me know what you decide and just want to let you know am th inkin gof you. x
Thanks for your kind words LB - yes, you're right about renal failure and that's my main worry for Win. I think my gut instinct is to take him but I know I'm doing a heart thing rather than a head thing! I'll talk it through with the vet and see what she says, and then try to make a decision over the weekend.

By the way, I've also got an old lady of 15 and a slightly sprightlier 8 year old!

Nicky
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

aww what a decision ..i have two adorable pussies which we brought to houston with us however maybe the journey to oz would be too much for winston..rather than have him put down could you find a home for him, maybe the vet might know of someone...doesn't sound as if winston will be with us too much longer anyway...poor winston...good luck with your decision
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:18 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Im lucky in as much as my 2 cats are in great health, 4 years old and happy chappys. my dogs present the problem...ellie is 12 in a couple of days...sure Lhasa Apsos can live to a ripe old age but..shes had a stroke, shes blind in one eye, her left hip is giving up.and she has 12 benign tumours.she has good days and some bad days...sometimes she is bouncing round like a puppy, other days she cant walk..
the vet has said the trauma of flight & quarentine will be too much for her! i have considered rehoming her, my mums offered to have her..but vet says to see what state shes month or so before i go...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:22 pm
UK migrant now in Oz

jorgon will become famous soon enough

I'm a big believer in "heart" decisions being the right ones.
This is because the heart responds to all that is humane in us.
I think you have to try, otherwise you may regret it.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

Hi All,

Nicky
I sold my house last October ready to apply for my visa, and moved my two cats just down the road. My daughter said the move would kill the older one, who had a thyroid problem and was 15. Sadly she was right and he died exactly a week after the move. My previous experience was in moving from France to the UK, and we left our cat then with our neighbours who loved him and let him sleep on their bed. He had a wonderful retirement and didn't miss us at all! We brought over the dog, who was just a puppy, and we raffled the guinea pig at the church fete! Whatever you decide seems heartbreaking, I know, but on balance I think the younger the animal, the better it copes. I hope you find an answer.

All the best
Nico
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we have two of our four moggies one fat one , one eyed big ginger who are both big mousers that I'm worried about and a neurotic siamsese (pulls her fur out when stressed) so am worried they'll be ok too. Probably more worried about them than the two kids being ok, isn't it mad? whereabout u going? we off to brisbane and dreading trying to find rental accommodation that takes so many pets. If you're going to brisbane (hopefully we should be there in oct nov) then would be nice to meet up? are you worried as well about how to keep them on your property and what they may catch/eat?

Thanks for your kind words LB - yes, you're right about renal failure and that's my main worry for Win. I think my gut instinct is to take him but I know I'm doing a heart thing rather than a head thing! I'll talk it through with the vet and see what she says, and then try to make a decision over the weekend.

By the way, I've also got an old lady of 15 and a slightly sprightlier 8 year old!

Nicky
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:16 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

My cat "Flea" (15) is arthritic and due to old injuries (caused by car ??) from time to time gets flair ups that can knock her off her feet for a few days. I wasn't going to bring her but then decided I would as felt so guilty at leaving her and thought re-homing would have been more stressful plus not many people want to take on an old cat. She is also very laid back so I knew she would settle ok after a while on the flight, just like when she goes in the car.

Anyway ... she made it fine!! infact, my cat & dog did the flight better than my OH When I went to visit them in quarantine the cat was snoozing on the top perch in her 'room' ... of course I'm all excited to see her and all she could do in typical cat style was stick her head over the edge and open one eye to see who it was, saw it was me meowed and starts to roll onto her back stretching .... 5 mins later she decides to come and say hello. She was really absolutely fine and has been out of quarantine now 3 months and its like she's lived here forever.

It is a hard descision but then I figured it was worth the risk and it paid off. Sometimes it doesn't. But I would still say go for it ..... good luck whatever you decide
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

We've got three moggies we're taking with us, one of which has kidney problems, but he's been on medication for 8 months and he's been so much better. Took him to the vets for a checkup to see if he's fit for travel as I thought we might have to have him put to sleep, but he's been given the thumbs up and he's 13 1/2. We've just had news that our permits came back and hope to find out today when they can leave the UK to go into quarantine as we leave on the 29th!

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Such a hard decision, but I would go for it with Win if the vet thinks there is a reasonably good chance.
We're taking four cats, two are 7 year olds and have done the trip before and will be ok, the two others are 13 and Archie, ginger neurotic cat, scared of his own shadow, he has no illnesses but I do worry the shock of the trip will kill him as he howls and throws up even when he goes to the vets for his vaccines!! He has never lived anywhere else. Can't leave him though.
We've just applied for permits - do you know how long they take? We wanted to get them booked into Sydney (we're off the Brisbane) end of October but are told space at Sydney is now reduced and needs early bookings. There is no way we are leaving the cats until they can leave the UK, don't want to put them through more confusion.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:18 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Read the posts by "JohnandNetta".

They had an elderly male cat who had diabetes (he needs two daily injections). They took him to Brisbane. He had initially a few bad days in quarantine, because due to the flight his diabetes was all over the place. But since he has recovered and loves life in Brisbane. Netta posted photos of him.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=322223&pp=15
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342661

Gina
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Read the posts by "JohnandNetta".

They had an elderly male cat who had diabetes (he needs two daily injections). They took him to Brisbane. He had initially a few bad days in quarantine, because due to the flight his diabetes was all over the place. But since he has recovered and loves life in Brisbane. Netta posted photos of him.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=322223&pp=15
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342661

Gina
I was just reading this thread and saw my name!!! Thanks Gina - nice to hear from you!

Here's a more recent post of the 'Beast of Balmoral' (see attached). Branston has been poorly for a large part of his life but he's a really happy chappy now! He was taken from Sydney quarantine and put straight into the quarantine animal hospital at Eastern Creek where he took a liking to the head vet. His diabetes caused everyone havoc (its a very long story!). They stabalised him at Eastern Creek then sent him back to Sydney quarantine, but within 24 hours he was back at Eastern Creek. We kept him there to avoid causing anymore unnecessary stress. He was in good condition when I picked him up from Sydney though he smelt like a pink poodle! They'd obviously given him a good bath which he would have absolutely hated. Glad I wasn't there to watch. Anyway - he sat on my lap for 16 hours all the way back to Brisbane (by car) and hardly moved at all. I couldn't bear to put him on another flight again. When we let him into the new house he settled almost immediately. He hated the heat at first - we kept finding him cooling himself down in the bath! But at the moment he has his own little storage heater and he actually walks round the house looking for sunny patches to stretch out in. Its cooled down quite a bit in Brisbane at the mo.

I totally sympathise with your dilemma. We tried for many months to get someone to look after Branston in the UK but because of his numerous illnesses and his injections we couldn't get anyone.

Its true to say that he has cost us a packet, and I know that not everyone can afford this but I really couldn't bring myself to put him to sleep. We've been here almost a year now, and I have no regrets. I still keep thinking that he probably won't live to see many more Ekkas, but he does seem entirely happy and he does snuggle up to me every single night. He is an indoor cat and extremely friendly, so quite easy to forgive.

If I was in your position I would first of all try and find a very good home in the UK. (I offered to pay food costs, vet bills, etc etc for Branston, but no-one could commit to the injections). A cat doesn't usually pine for its owner in the same way as a dog. It will soon settle in a new home as long as it is well fed, watered, and pampered. But if you can't find another home in the UK then I would consider taking your cat with you. However its a big outlay, so that's something you need to feel comfortable with.

I truly believe that if our cat has managed to survive quarantine and is here a year later - then any cat will survive. I often kept thinking to myself 'what if he survives the quarantine and dies shortly after?' How would I feel about it then? And how would I feel about all that money down the drain? Its rather a heartless thought, but it did keep going through my mind.

Anyway...the conclusion...I can honestly say that if he didn't last another day I would have no regrets at the decision we took, because he's been amazingly happy in his life in Oz so far.

So Nicky.....
Its a very personal thing....and I wish you all the best in any decision you decide to take.

Netta
Attached Thumbnails Advice on taking an older cat to Oz.-0058.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.