Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on taking computer please.

Advice on taking computer please.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:39 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Advice on taking computer please.

Hi
Does anyone have any experience of taking a computer on a flight. I have packed one which my sons use and the shippers are coming next week to take that away, but I am taking my other one in my luggage. Is there any restrictions on taking things like that? I realise I take a risk with damage etc and lose of bags with it in but I really need it for work etc when I get there. Has anyone else took one through to OZ in luggage?
Jayne
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on taking computer please.

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Hi
Does anyone have any experience of taking a computer on a flight. I have packed one which my sons use and the shippers are coming next week to take that away, but I am taking my other one in my luggage. Is there any restrictions on taking things like that? I realise I take a risk with damage etc and lose of bags with it in but I really need it for work etc when I get there. Has anyone else took one through to OZ in luggage?
Jayne

Ive thought of this myself.

The cost to pack it and ship it, I am considering selling mine and just getting a laptop.

But I wouldnt mind seeing the replies.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Hi
Jayne

i loved to hear any thoughts on this. We were thinking of taking ours.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:01 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I sent mine from Australia to England back in 1999 when I moved here....in fact I sent about 7 boxes all by air. The computer (including monitor) was bubble wrapped to within and inch of it's life. The boxes looked pretty beat about when they arrived in the UK and one box had a puncture hole in it but the computer worked fine - but I did use a LOT of bubblewrap.

This time, we are sending my OH's computer (by sea freight) and I will buy a lap top when I arrive in Australia.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:43 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I sent mine from Australia to England back in 1999 when I moved here....in fact I sent about 7 boxes all by air. The computer (including monitor) was bubble wrapped to within and inch of it's life. The boxes looked pretty beat about when they arrived in the UK and one box had a puncture hole in it but the computer worked fine - but I did use a LOT of bubblewrap.

This time, we are sending my OH's computer (by sea freight) and I will buy a lap top when I arrive in Australia.

We are only shipping 20 boxes, a leather suite and a tv. Most everything else we have sold (Ebay) or charity shopped it. The computers are both 14 months old and top of the range still, did think about getting a laptop and replacing the one but they are so good I decided against it. So the one is all boxed up and ready to go and the other I want to take on the flight. I may just bubble wrap it and hope for the best anyway.

So many choices, so little time to choose!
Jayne
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:44 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Jayne

You will find if it is a desktop they(the airline) will refuse to allow it in the passenger compartment as it will not fit in overhead lockers and you can't carry it.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching a man arguing with Emirates staff on the issue of a desktop as hand luggage - they asked how he would feel if it fell from a locker onto his head......
As for hold luggage - the risk of damamge is quite high. Mine came by air freight, but the shippers had a special wooden crate, constructed so that it could only be loaded one way up, and it was fine. Otherwise it'll cost you a lot (cos of the weight as part of your baggage allowance) and has a high risk of getting broken.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

If its an expensive computer remember to take out electrical derangement insurance whether it is going by sea or air. Ours went by sea and wouldnt work when we got here so thankfully we got the full cost off the insurance and got a new one, and thankfully I had copied the entire contents onto our laptops, and also backed up really important stuff on disc.

Some people take the hard drive out and carry this in their hand luggage, thus if the puter is fooked you have all ur info
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:48 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Jayne
I took a PC on a one hour flight from Brisbane to Sydney . They made me check it in and sign somthing to say if they break it they would not pay for a new one.

PC arrived at the other side with a big dent put it still worked.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Jayne

Take the hard drive out and carry it as hand luggage, check the rest.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:53 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I take it most folks who take laptops just take them as hand luggage?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:15 pm
its just a rabbit

dandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud of

we shipped one, and carried (a very compact) one in luggage... no problems at all... I considered carrying it in hand luggage, but chose a book and ipod instead.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:18 pm
Home in 2010.

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Take the hard drive out and carry it as hand luggage, check the rest.
I never considered doing that, would save a lot of heartache if ever it got damaged.
Thanks for that.
Jayne
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:33 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice on taking computer please.

Hi
Jayne
I build and repair PC's - so To be honest - ive decided to strip mine down bubble rap the components - hd, memory, motherboard and Flatscreen monitor and then buy a new case and re-assemble when I get there.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
Home in 2010.

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
I build and repair PC's - so To be honest - ive decided to strip mine down bubble rap the components - hd, memory, motherboard and Flatscreen monitor and then buy a new case and re-assemble when I get there.
OH is good with computers, not to the point of building them but adding memory, drives etc.
They are so much a part of our lives we couldnt do without one.

Jayne