Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:33 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Originally Posted by DIANE2
My family and I are heading out hopefully by the end of September and my husband also has a job at Westmead. We lived there for a year 2001/2002 whilst he was working at westmead and we lived in Baulkham Hills. This is about a 25 minute car journey to work and there are plenty of good schools around. My little girl is 8 and my son nearly 4 so we have looked into schools and preschools. Generally the Hills district would be a good starting point to look. Its all very daunting but it will be worth it. Would be happy to help with any other advise or last minute nerves!!!

Hi Diane,

We have been living in Sydney for almost 3 years now, we were headed for the hills area when we first came, although it is one of the cheapest areas for renting and buying property in Sydney we found it to be one of the most blandest areas compared to the north shore and eastern suberbs. Also 10 degrees hotter in the summer.

Marie
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others about living in the Hills area. There are areas which are pretty bland, with new housing estates appearing seemingly every week, but other areas, out near Dural for example are beautiful - lots of fields and bush around.

Good luck

Rudi
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:01 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milo
Hi Diane,

We have been living in Sydney for almost 3 years now, we were headed for the hills area when we first came, although it is one of the cheapest areas for renting and buying property in Sydney we found it to be one of the most blandest areas compared to the north shore and eastern suberbs. Also 10 degrees hotter in the summer.

Marie
I must admit I have to agree with you on the 'blandness' of the Hills District. Lots and lots of new houses but not a lot of character. 10 degrees hotter is a bit over the top though - 5 degrees hotter in the summer and 5 degrees colder in the winter is apparently right (and god cant I feel that 5 degrees colder now!!)
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
I agree with others about living in the Hills area. There are areas which are pretty bland, with new housing estates appearing seemingly every week, but other areas, out near Dural for example are beautiful - lots of fields and bush around.

Good luck

Rudi
I agree with you Rudi, the newer areas are not the best but there are lots of older well established areas which are really nice.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:45 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I agree with you Rudi, the newer areas are not the best but there are lots of older well established areas which are really nice.
I was in Castle Hill yesterday and although some of the houses there (actually most of the houses there!) are bloody gorgeous, it was still characterless. Very Americanised I thought. Not my cup of tea at all. Having said that a lot of people obviously do like it because there are lots and lots and lots of houses there!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I was in Castle Hill yesterday and although some of the houses there (actually most of the houses there!) are bloody gorgeous, it was still characterless. Very Americanised I thought. Not my cup of tea at all. Having said that a lot of people obviously do like it because there are lots and lots and lots of houses there!
Ofcourse there are lots of houses, it is an urban area. If you want acreage, in the greater Sydney area you'll pay for it. As for Americanised I can't agree. I have seen many parts of America and they do not resemble Castle Hill.