Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

4 go under has a spectacular aura about4 go under has a spectacular aura about4 go under has a spectacular aura about
Smile Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Hi everyone, This is the first time we have posted a thread. We are at the waiting stage of the visa process after medicals and x rays. We are hoping to be in Sydney by August. I have a job at Westmead Children's Hospital and will be going down under with my husband and two children aged 11 years and four years.
Could anyone advise on good, child friendly suburbs within commuting distance of the hospital and good schools in the area?. Is anyone else up to this stage of the process and hoping to move to Sydney in the next few months.
Any advise would be welcome. Patiently waiting for a date to go!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:32 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Originally Posted by 4 go under
Hi everyone, This is the first time we have posted a thread. We are at the waiting stage of the visa process after medicals and x rays. We are hoping to be in Sydney by August. I have a job at Westmead Children's Hospital and will be going down under with my husband and two children aged 11 years and four years.
Could anyone advise on good, child friendly suburbs within commuting distance of the hospital and good schools in the area?. Is anyone else up to this stage of the process and hoping to move to Sydney in the next few months.
Hi There,
Not sure if this site will help but there is alot of info on different areas... just type in area you are curious about in search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney

Let me know how you go, and where you decide to go within Sydney as we are heading there later this year!

:-)

Last edited by utopia; Jun 27th 2006 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:53 am
Dcampsc

by what you suggested, Parramatta is the place.

its an actual CBD (central business district), it has everything,
shopping centres, schools, university, stadiums, post offices, you name
it..

5-10 mins from Westmead Hospital

--

Posted via http://www.mymigration.net

Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

4 go under has a spectacular aura about4 go under has a spectacular aura about4 go under has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Advice on Sydney suburbs and schools

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi There,
Not sure if this site will help but there is alot of info on different areas... just type in area you are curious about in search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney

Let me know how you go, and where you decide to go within Sydney as we are heading there later this year!

Thanks for that, we have looked at several areas on wilkipedia but I guess until you are there and get a feel of the area it is diffiicult to decide. Just wondered if any one had had some really good advice. Will let you know where we decide.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dcampsc
by what you suggested, Parramatta is the place.

its an actual CBD (central business district), it has everything,
shopping centres, schools, university, stadiums, post offices, you name
it..

5-10 mins from Westmead Hospital

--

Posted via http://www.mymigration.net
Thanks for that. We remember Parramatta from the last time we were in Australia, pre: children, don't remember a lot and not sure if it is child friendly but again will not know for certain until we get there and get a feel for the place.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:18 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been disconnected from usenet and moved to the lifestyle forum.

Just a reminder, only "Immigration" topics are to be posted in the newsgroup. Topics such as the one this thread covers should be posted in the "Lifestyle" forum.

Thanks

Sue
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

You would be much better looking at areas such as Northmead, Winston Hills Baulkham Hillls etc. I would not recommend living in Parramatta or Westmead. All suburbs in the Hills District are family friendly and have excellent schools. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
You would be much better looking at areas such as Northmead, Winston Hills Baulkham Hillls etc. I would not recommend living in Parramatta or Westmead. All suburbs in the Hills District are family friendly and have excellent schools. Hope this helps.
Totally agree. Avoid Parramatta and immediate surrounding areas. The state schools in Parramatta are to be avoided.

Definitely check out the Hills district.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Totally agree. Avoid Parramatta and immediate surrounding areas. The state schools in Parramatta are to be avoided.

Agree
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

andyspud is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 4 go under
we too are moving to sydney in the next few months i have 3 boys 7,5 and 2 and also share the same concerns about where is a good area. hubby (who leaves on tuesday) has to go in to north sydney on the train, we have been told that wahroonga,turramurra,pymble and st ives are lovely with good state schools but i have no clue as to whether they are near your hospital.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Agree
Thanks everyone, at least we know some areas to definitely avoid. We have heard of the Hills although may be a little expensive. Will keep researching.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andyspud
Hi 4 go under
we too are moving to sydney in the next few months i have 3 boys 7,5 and 2 and also share the same concerns about where is a good area. hubby (who leaves on tuesday) has to go in to north sydney on the train, we have been told that wahroonga,turramurra,pymble and st ives are lovely with good state schools but i have no clue as to whether they are near your hospital.
Thanks, not heard of the areas you mentioned but will look into them. Good luck with your move
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:59 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

I agree too!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

DIANE2 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are heading out hopefully by the end of September and my husband also has a job at Westmead. We lived there for a year 2001/2002 whilst he was working at westmead and we lived in Baulkham Hills. This is about a 25 minute car journey to work and there are plenty of good schools around. My little girl is 8 and my son nearly 4 so we have looked into schools and preschools. Generally the Hills district would be a good starting point to look. Its all very daunting but it will be worth it. Would be happy to help with any other advise or last minute nerves!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

If your working at Westmead do not even consider living on the North Shore ie Pymble etc, your travel times would be awful. The Hills District is the place to be for everything you need. It is not really expensive. I'm sure you could get a reasonably priced rental while you look around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.