Advice sought!

Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice sought!

We have never set foot on Australian soil (plenty of internet/reading research) and have an open mind as to where to settle - near Sydney or near Melbourne are level favourites.... at present!
We are hoping to rent out house in UK.

Question: If we are lucky enough to get visa, do we make a validation trip before the final move? Could find money for validation trip (just!) but obviously could do with money saved from not make trip
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice sought!

hi
we thought about doing a reccie trip before we arrived here in brisbane,but decided not to,as you said,the money it would have cost us has paid for our rental for the past 6 months,and the way we looked at it was that things are always different when your on holiday,and what would be see from a hotel room for 2 or 3 weeks we decided to take the plunge and just go for it,so we arrived in a new country half way around the world not really knowing what to expect,but we took our time and had a really good look round once we got here,and found out alot more than we could have done in just a few weeks holiday,it worked for us,thats all i can say,but otheres have had reccie trips and its worked for them,i guess it dpends on how much money you have to spare
hope this helps,tracey

November11]We have never set foot on Australian soil (plenty of internet/reading research) and have an open mind as to where to settle - near Sydney or near Melbourne are level favourites.... at present!
We are hoping to rent out house in UK.

Question: If we are lucky enough to get visa, do we make a validation trip before the final move? Could find money for validation trip (just!) but obviously could do with money saved from not make trip[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a spouse visa (hubby and girls have Aussie citizenship) and we hadn't sold the house and were running out of time for me to get here so I did a quick validation trip on my own. Only did a week and stayed with some very nice but quite strange people but because of the short time treated it as a holiday . So really as a family we just came out blind. As Tracey said, it's hard to get a proper feel of living when you only here for a few weeks.

Depends on how YOU feel, if you think it would settle any doubts, do it, if you would rather save the money, don't.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Scissors

Since we decided to rent UK house instead of selling I have been tempted to miss out the validation trip

As you say, in effect we are 'saving' around £1500.

Only worry is that belongings and cat will have been shipped over. If we suddenly realised it wasn't for us then there would be hassle/cost of 're-shippnig'

I have done loads of reading and research and I don't think I am wearing rose-tinted glasses. In your opinion, can you get an idea of what it will be like from internet/tv/reading?

Sue
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Moneypen

I think there does come a time when you just have to take a leap of faith!

Sue
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:32 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

hiya

we have decided not to do a reccie as the money will be better spent when we go to set up home there.
we also have not been before just done hours/days/weeks/months of research on net and friends

good luck with your application

jan xx
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Only did a week and stayed with some very nice but quite strange people
Not as strange as the witch we had staying in the basement .
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Not as strange as the witch we had staying in the basement .
PMSL