Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on schools in perth vs england

advice on schools in perth vs england

Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future
Default advice on schools in perth vs england

hello all

we are (my wife and 2 daughters 2&4) are coming over to perth in april for a recky we are staying in joondalup.
our main concern with migrating now seems to be the level of schooling after reading several posts regarding this.
the main thing that concerns us is that people of said that the oz schools are about 1 year behind english schools but ahead in outdoor activitys and sports.
a couple of people that have come back to the uk have had to give their children intesive tuition so they can catch up with the relevent year.
this never entered our heads until we came across these posts.

thanks for the input and any relevent websites or schools we could visit when we are over there.

we know about the goverment and private schooling and is there really such a big difference between the 2

thanks
karl
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: advice on schools in perth vs england

Originally Posted by baggie
hello all

we are (my wife and 2 daughters 2&4) are coming over to perth in april for a recky we are staying in joondalup.
our main concern with migrating now seems to be the level of schooling after reading several posts regarding this.
the main thing that concerns us is that people of said that the oz schools are about 1 year behind english schools but ahead in outdoor activitys and sports.
a couple of people that have come back to the uk have had to give their children intesive tuition so they can catch up with the relevent year.
this never entered our heads until we came across these posts.

thanks for the input and any relevent websites or schools we could visit when we are over there.

we know about the goverment and private schooling and is there really such a big difference between the 2

thanks
karl
I have worked in British schools and spent a little time in Australian schools (state and private).
My overwhelming impression is that Aussie kids have one big advantage in that they have a wonderful laidback and confident attitude. Taking this into adult life is great. Getting on with folk is half the battle in todays job market.

In Britain we are very good at cramming information into kids to pass exams. I do it on a daily basis- well for the next 7 days then I am Oz- bound.
I often feel that the kids in the UK would benefit from more than these academic qualifications. My personal opinion is that the outdoor activities are as important as the academic side. Yes the education system may be a little old fashioned compared to Britain but I very much liked what I saw in the schools in Oz I have visited (primary and secondary). If a kid is motivated they will get on and do well, whether they are in Oz or Britain, and parental influnece matters a lot.
Anyway that's my personal opinion! I am happy for my daughter to go to an Aussie school.
Good luck
ALi
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: advice on schools in perth vs england

As in the UK a lot depends on the individual school & it's hard to generalise. However, it does seem that many schools here are 'behind' academically. My children were always in the top % of their classes in the UK but if they were to go back I expect that would no longer be the case. Whilst their education is important we have become a lot more relaxed about it & they are doing well in their present schools.

As a previous poster has said the whole school ethos is different and we feel our kids have benefitted from this. They receive a more rounded education. My son in year four has had dance classes, cooking, learns Italian & has heaps more sports lessons. He hated PE & games in the UK but loves it now & has even joined Little Athletics, a complete turn around.

Our daughter passed her 11+ in the UK and went to our local grammar school. Coming from a VERY academic school to her present one was a complete culture shock. Whilst we do have some concerns over her education she has become more outgoing & confident, made more friends & is a happier child.

Another point to consider is that private doesn't necessarily mean better. Our son's state school here is great and we felt there was no need to pay for him to go privately. Our daughter however (going into Year 9) does go to a private school.

There are quite a lot of us on here from the northern suburbs of Perth so ask away about schools & I'm sure we'll all try & help.

Loopy