Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removals

Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removals

Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:42 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removals

We're shortly to vacate our rental and move to our own Aussie abode. We've got approximately a 40ft container's worth to shift. Does anyone know of any good truck rental or removals deals? If we're doing it ourselves, I'll probably try for a six tonne truck, as it took three 7.5T loads for our last UK move, and we've bought as much as we've got rid of since then.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removals

Originally Posted by bal56
We're shortly to vacate our rental and move to our own Aussie abode. We've got approximately a 40ft container's worth to shift. Does anyone know of any good truck rental or removals deals? If we're doing it ourselves, I'll probably try for a six tonne truck, as it took three 7.5T loads for our last UK move, and we've bought as much as we've got rid of since then.
Hiya
Try and pay someone, we moved ourselves and it was awful! (despite having two strong mates). It may just be "up the road" in comparison to your last move, but you invariably don't organise it all as well and unestimate how long it will take.
ATB
Larissa
PS Where did you guys buy in the end? Hope you are happy in your new place.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:17 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removals

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hiya
Try and pay someone, we moved ourselves and it was awful! (despite having two strong mates). It may just be "up the road" in comparison to your last move, but you invariably don't organise it all as well and unestimate how long it will take.
ATB
Larissa
PS Where did you guys buy in the end? Hope you are happy in your new place.
Hi Larissa.
Kinross. Not far from gajiitt - and probably yourself too!

Thanks for the good wishes.

Brian
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:51 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bal56
Hi Larissa.
Kinross. Not far from gajiitt - and probably yourself too!

Thanks for the good wishes.

Brian
Hi, just thought you might want another opinion,-sorry I cant give you a reccommendation as we were in thornlie, but we thought we'd move ourselves,my friend then asked if we were completely mad. We thought it over and thought about all the heavy lugging,arguing and potential for getting a serious back injury and decided to bite the bullet.Frankly now, I cant imagine what possessed us to even consider moving ourselves! - we have always done our own work but,we came here for an easier time of it,and to think of moving ourselves with 2 bored kids (9+10) in the heat of the day,no way mate! by the way we had veryshort notice of moving and could only get a local company who had a name designed to be at the front of the list of movers (if you know what I mmmmmean) and this alone concerned me,however beggars cant be choosers. I have to say they were great, friendly,efficient and reasonably priced! move ourselves or get removals? no contest! hope your move goes well.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:46 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removal

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi, just thought you might want another opinion,-sorry I cant give you a reccommendation as we were in thornlie.....I have to say they were great, friendly,efficient and reasonably priced! move ourselves or get removals? no contest! hope your move goes well.
Well c`mon then and give us their details

We need to organise a removalist for the beginning of feb, so if anyone has any recommendations.....

We`re moving from Beckenham to Thornlie.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:50 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice required on moving in Perth - DIY with Truck Rental v Professional Removal

I, personally would do it myself. Enlist the help of a couple of mates, hire a van and save a fortune along the way as well!!

Spose it all boils down to this equation; How much do you want to pay V's How much work you want to do!

Dont know if they have such a thing in Perth, but hows about meeting yorself half way and hiring a 'man with a van'? Cheaper than removals and less work for yourselves....
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:07 am
Alive and boinging!

Thanks for the advice folks.
We're doing much as Sqeezzii did and are using a reasonably priced local guy ... I'll let you know who if they do a good job.
The last DIY UK move was extremely stressful for me and my FIL - a not insignificant element of the stress being my wife constantly asking why we were doing it ourselves (and the temperature was cool, not 30+ as is predicted for next week!).
The consensus from ringing for quotes is that to move a 40 foot container's worth will take 4-5 hours if local, and if we pre-pack the goods, dismantle beds etc. Rates seem to range from less than $100/hr for local guys to $200/hr+ for the bigger boys. (Time is measured from leaving depot to returning to depot - another advantage of using local guys?).
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:12 am
Alive and boinging!

The other info that I didn't add is that to rent a truck would probably cost $200/day for something larger than the locally available 3 tonners (these are appprox $120/day). Add to this cost the travel time and cost to reach Welshpool or Kewdale to fetch a larger truck, and the difference between 4-5 hrs at $100/hr and $200, or possibly $400 if we can't shift everything in a single day, and the decision's a no brainer!?