Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ADVICE REQUIRED - ME & KIDS STAYING IN PERTH, HUBBY GOING BACK TO SELL BUSINESS!!

ADVICE REQUIRED - ME & KIDS STAYING IN PERTH, HUBBY GOING BACK TO SELL BUSINESS!!

Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:43 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice
Question ADVICE REQUIRED - ME & KIDS STAYING IN PERTH, HUBBY GOING BACK TO SELL BUSINESS!!

The people buying our restaurant have announced this morning that the finances are going to take 2/3 months to come through (don't ask!) The only thing is we have to validate by 16th March.

Because return flights for five of us is an expense we simply can't afford (or thought we would have to do!) we have decided that we will all fly out - Me, Andy, Jack (9yrs), Tom & Henry (8yrs) and only Andy will come back to finish off the sale.

Because we are both in catering we thought we would concentrate on Perth city to start with and we can always move on if we wanted to. So I am going to be sorting everything out: schools, car, accommodation, etc..... Am I mad?? Can it be done? Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Feeling brave at the moment but feel I might fold nearer the time. Let me know of any advice. Thankyou!

Jayne
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:21 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE REQUIRED - ME & KIDS STAYING IN PERTH, HUBBY GOING BACK TO SELL BUSINESS!!

Oh you poor lamb - that IS a mamouth task. We've just done it with the two of us and three kids and at times we've all wanted/attempted to murder each other.

It can be done, of course it can. But it won't be easy doing it alone. Kids are hard work at the best of times, let alone when you're emotional, knackered and a long way from a friendly face!

We're in Secret Harbour (about an hours drive south of Perth) if you need any support......

Good luck - you mad woman
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:58 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE REQUIRED - ME & KIDS STAYING IN PERTH, HUBBY GOING BACK TO SELL BUSINESS!!

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
The people buying our restaurant have announced this morning that the finances are going to take 2/3 months to come through (don't ask!) The only thing is we have to validate by 16th March.

Because return flights for five of us is an expense we simply can't afford (or thought we would have to do!) we have decided that we will all fly out - Me, Andy, Jack (9yrs), Tom & Henry (8yrs) and only Andy will come back to finish off the sale.

Because we are both in catering we thought we would concentrate on Perth city to start with and we can always move on if we wanted to. So I am going to be sorting everything out: schools, car, accommodation, etc..... Am I mad?? Can it be done? Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Feeling brave at the moment but feel I might fold nearer the time. Let me know of any advice. Thankyou!

Jayne
I totally understand why you're doing it, but woman, you need a medal for such bravery. Is there no one in the UK who could act on your behalf (e.g. a sibling or friend whom you could make a power of attorney or something) so that you can all be together in Perth?

Hope it all goes well for you.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

You'll be fine, I'm sure! You've just got to stay in 'brave' mode . Our situation is similar to yours, when we arrive in Perth in March my hubby has to go straight to work in Sydney for a few weeks . I'm hoping that the good luck fairies will be working hard for me . Hopefully there'll be loads of friendly Aussies that'll help out when I get completely lost! Are you looking to stay in the City or one of the suburbs close by?

Sometimes it feels overwhelming when I think of all I'll have to do in an unfamiliar place, but I've just talked myself into believing it'll be fine :scared: .

I've no advice to give as I've not done it yet, but just stay positive and I'm sure you'll do great. Just think of the feeling of achievement when it's all done.
TJ
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:00 pm
Scottish and a Mum

Scottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant future

Of course you can do it!!! You know why??? Cause you're a woman!

Never never ask a man to multi task!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:07 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

If you fo a search on "The banana diaries " you will find the postings of a lovely woman who experienced something similar - her husband was at home selling the house and sorting out work I think.
Good luck -it will be hard but you'll have loads to distract you and I'm sure the wonderful Perthites will supoort you thru' it.
Gillian
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:32 pm

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by sme
If you fo a search on "The banana diaries " you will find the postings of a lovely woman who experienced something similar - her husband was at home selling the house and sorting out work I think.
Good luck -it will be hard but you'll have loads to distract you and I'm sure the wonderful Perthites will supoort you thru' it.
Gillian
Does anyone know of any schools in Perth city??

Jayne
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know of any schools in Perth city??

Jayne
I've had a look in the Street directory and it doesn't look like there are any schools in the CBD. Closest would probably be Subiaco/Jolimont - there's definitely schools there. I'll try to find the education w/site link.
TJ

Here's the link with the schools info (takes a while to load)
http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolp...rictEntry=Swan

Last edited by The Johnstons; Feb 8th 2006 at 7:53 pm. Reason: added link
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Could I make a suggestion from someone who has already sold a business in the UK with plans to migrate ? If they want to buy your business thats excellent news but there would be nothing to stop you exchanging contracts now with a completion date say in 3 months time. That way they would have to pay a deposit which they would loose if they fail to complete (same as a house) and stop some serious heartache and major financial blow I suspect were they to pull out at the last min. Heavens forbid but you are at the mercy of the buyers if they know you are already half way around the world and getting a bit desperate.

Business is business and they might just take advantage of that...

Just an idea. Im sure you have things covered
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:17 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Jayne

You'll be fine.......us women can multi task......the kids are at an age where they can be bribed to behave lol its amazing what a....Be Good all Day and I'll get u a McD's will do!!!!!! Get them into school as soon as you can then that will give you time in the day to get stuff sorted. GO FOR IT GURL!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
I've had a look in the Street directory and it doesn't look like there are any schools in the CBD. Closest would probably be Subiaco/Jolimont - there's definitely schools there. I'll try to find the education w/site link.
TJ

Here's the link with the schools info (takes a while to load)
http://www2.eddept.wa.edu.au/schoolp...rictEntry=Swan
Thank you TJ! x

Jayne