Advice required

Old May 7th 2017, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice required

Hi, new to this part of the BE forums.

My wife and I have recently started discussing a move to Australia, previously looked at NZ.

Our problem is that some information we can find for Australia is either extremely vague of contradictory.

I am a Biomedical Scientist (Medical laboratory scientist), Masters degree with management experience. My wife is a veterinary surgeon with >10 years experience with some background in orthopedics.

We currently earn around around $160,000 PA. We know from visiting that the cost of living is significantly more in Australia, however, the salary information we can find for our respective roles is very confusing.

For myself some sources quote $60,000 which is a significant drop from UK( and under the figures I can find for average Australian salary), vet salary is quoted around $80,000.

Can anyone confirm these salary estimates are accurate and are these salaries enough to allow for a reasonable standard of living?

Thanks!
Old May 8th 2017, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
Hi, new to this part of the BE forums.

My wife and I have recently started discussing a move to Australia, previously looked at NZ.

Our problem is that some information we can find for Australia is either extremely vague of contradictory.

I am a Biomedical Scientist (Medical laboratory scientist), Masters degree with management experience. My wife is a veterinary surgeon with >10 years experience with some background in orthopedics.

We currently earn around around $160,000 PA. We know from visiting that the cost of living is significantly more in Australia, however, the salary information we can find for our respective roles is very confusing.

For myself some sources quote $60,000 which is a significant drop from UK( and under the figures I can find for average Australian salary), vet salary is quoted around $80,000.

Can anyone confirm these salary estimates are accurate and are these salaries enough to allow for a reasonable standard of living?

Thanks!
Where did you get $160,000 PA from if you don't live in Australia?

If you did a currency conversion, that would be a fatal mistake.

Firstly currencies fluctuate.

Secondly, things are costed differently especially from location to location, just like anywhere else in the world. Same for salaries. What you earn in Hobart is different to Sydney and the cost of big ticket items, like housing, is different in both locations.

No point confirming these salaries until you leave the currency conversion at the door.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You need to make sure one of your professions is on the SOL or CSOL. If it's not, you can't migrate on a permanent residence visa. The Government defines these professions on the SOL and CSOL, yours must match very closely. Vet surgeon has to be vet surgeon as defined on the SOL, not just a job title match on company HR letterhead. So you not only have to make sure that something like vet surgeon is on there (which I think it is?) but also that what immi says a vet surgeon does, is what your wife actually does too.

Second step is to undergo a skills assessment for your profession - if it's negative, you can't migrate on a permanent residence visa. This step is also not a formality.

A lot of people think that their profession is on the skills list only to find out that it's not, or that they can't pass the skills assessment.

Salaries vary from location to location and employer to employer, sometimes by a significant amount. You can easily live off of $140,000 a year but also it depends on your lifestyle choices. You won't have a 3-bedroom apartment in the Sydney CBD on that but you can certainly find something decent in outer suburbs. I do not find Australia to be more expensive than the UK though some things can be.

One other note - just because a profession is on the shortage list does not mean there is an actual shortage. You would be well advised as you are chasing up salary information to also find out actual hiring conditions. The impact is also that you need to have a significant chunk of savings on arrival so that you don't run out of money before you have jobs lined up.
Old May 8th 2017, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The starting point is border.gov.au and look at the 189 and 190 visas. First check the occupation lists to see if either of your occupations are on it. Only one of them needs to be.
The lists known as SOL and CSOL have been abandoned and there is now only one list. But, most of the occuptions are part of what is now known as the short term list. These occupations are not eligible for permanent visas.
If one of your occupations is available, then you need to check you can pass the skills assessment for it. If so, then check the other criteria such as age. Then calculate your points - you get points for things such age, qualifications, experience and English language. Though to get points for English you need to take an exam such as ILETS
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info folks, apologies for the late return, we now have an addition the family on the way which has taken my attention for a while.

Did a bit more reading re currency difference, certainly seems like a mistake to compare apples with oranges.

Both our roles are currently on the MLTSSL, my wife can transfer straight across with her registration but looks like I might have to sit a skills assessment with the Australian IMS. So, assuming that went OK then it seems we would be going for a 189.

Also had a look on various job sites and there certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of positions available, for the moment.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
Thanks for the info folks, apologies for the late return, we now have an addition the family on the way which has taken my attention for a while.

Did a bit more reading re currency difference, certainly seems like a mistake to compare apples with oranges.

Both our roles are currently on the MLTSSL, my wife can transfer straight across with her registration but looks like I might have to sit a skills assessment with the Australian IMS. So, assuming that went OK then it seems we would be going for a 189.

Also had a look on various job sites and there certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of positions available, for the moment.
Just checking that you're aware that only one of you needs to meet the skills requirement for a 189 - their partner is added to their visa.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just checking that you're aware that only one of you needs to meet the skills requirement for a 189 - their partner is added to their visa.
Ah, that's very helpful, thank you.

Having had a further look we would both score the same based on age, qualifications etc although I think that she's more likely to score 20 for the English language tests than I am!