Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on renting out our house in the UK

Advice on renting out our house in the UK

Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Advice on renting out our house in the UK

Hi All

We have had the house on the market for around 8 weeks now and getting fed up with waiting for it to sell as we wanted to be coming out by end of Oct

We had hoped it would sell quite quickly being optimistic people but now we are having to rethink about what happens if it doesn't sell by Christmas. Really looking for advice about renting out our property. Would appreciate views on fors and againsts for renting out.- Apart from the obvious ones we have no idea about tax implications, rental agent charges and rental periods etc so any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are now thinking of having Christmas here and renting out from end of January.

Many thanks

Carla
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on renting out our house in the UK

We choose to rent out for various reasons, mainly financial also just in case we decide to move back at some point.

The best advice was to forget about it being our home and start to think about it being a business. I didn't like the idea of people living in my house and "spoiling" it for me if we did decide to move back but we have decided if we do we will redecorate it and make it ours again.

We use an agent to manage it and we don't have to worry about a thing. We had one set of people in that constantly complained and I had maintenance bills every month (once to change a lightbulb that was stuck apparently) and we had frozen pipe damage last winter, the agent has had everything repaired at a very reasonable price, certainly less than I believe I would have managed.

We have another couple in now for about three months and there has been no extra repair bills. We had a couple of months with no tenant and it is good idea to factor that in. The first tenants took 6 month lease and this couple have taken a 12 month lease.

We have a very low mortgage interest rate so I am expecting quite a high income tax bill, even though we are barely positive cashflow each month, the rent less fees just about covers the mortgage interest and capital repayment.

If we did decide to sell up, I cannot see how we would ever make a profit so CGT not really an issue.

I am very happy with our decision to rent the house out.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 10th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice BS. I'm guessing that we have to tell the mortgage company that we will be renting it out if we decide to? If this is the case can they change the mortgage product we currently have? We have a good deal with them at the moment and wouldn't want this to change.

Hope it is still going well for you out there.

Carla
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsE
Thanks for the advice BS. I'm guessing that we have to tell the mortgage company that we will be renting it out if we decide to? If this is the case can they change the mortgage product we currently have? We have a good deal with them at the moment and wouldn't want this to change.

Carla
You should tell mortgage company, but perhaps you could "forget" say you had no idea you needed to do anything if it ever comes to light. But make sure you don't forget to change the insurance...

We also had a good deal and I did not want to change it. I spoke to the bank and said we were going overseas temporarily and they said we could stay as we are for two years. At the end of the two years, I am aiming to have the mortgage paid off or at least substantially paid down and if there is anything left we will just have to change over.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 10th 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You should tell mortgage company, but perhaps you could "forget" say you had no idea you needed to do anything if it ever comes to light. But make sure you don't forget to change the insurance...

We also had a good deal and I did not want to change it. I spoke to the bank and said we were going overseas temporarily and they said we could stay as we are for two years. At the end of the two years, I am aiming to have the mortgage paid off or at least substantially paid down and if there is anything left we will just have to change over.
I like your way of thinking I know what you mean about other people in "your" house too - we have got expensive oak flooring in most of our downstairs and have decorated so nicely too - really don't want somebody in there who won't look after it But as you say - have to think of it as a business
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:00 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Carla
Some banks do not allow you to rent out your mortgaged property (called buy to let) and you may be forced to change the product. We were with First Direct and 6 years ago they were ok, but I know in the past few years (we have sold it now) whenever I mentioned on the phone that it was a rental property, they said, "That's not allowed" and I had to produce a letter stating that I had been granted permission.

Use the advanced search at the top.... you'll find lots of info.... I posted this in the past:-

You have to complete a NR1 form http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl1.pdf
Without this form being submitted the agent looking after the property has to deduct the tax from the rental received.

NR1 Guidance notes.... http://www.sabbaticalhomes.co.uk/non...s_notes_bw.pdf

I had Landlord insurance.... strongly recommend as if your tenant looses their job, becomes ill and cannot pay the rent, the insurance will pay until you get a new tenant. http://www.letsure.co.uk/

Benefits of Letsure's Rent & Legal Protection

Letsure provides a product with high levels of cover at a competitive price. The key benefits are shown below:

100% of your monthly rental income for up to 12 months or until vacant possession is achieved whichever happens sooner.
75% of your monthly rental income for up to 2 months after vacant possession has been achieved whilst you are trying to relet the property.
Covers monthly rents up to £5,000 (higher amounts may be available on request)
Provides a legal service that will seek to evict your tenant for non-payment of rent.
Provides up to £60,000 of legal cover to defend a legal action brought against you by a tenant and to remove squatters.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:10 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Some banks do not allow you to rent out your mortgaged property (called buy to let) and you may be forced to change the product. We were with First Direct and 6 years ago they were ok, but I know in the past few years (we have sold it now) whenever I mentioned on the phone that it was a rental property, they said, "That's not allowed" and I had to produce a letter stating that I had been granted permission.

Use the advanced search at the top.... you'll find lots of info.... I posted this in the past:-

Without this form being submitted the agent looking after the property has to deduct the tax from the rental received.

I had Landlord insurance.... strongly recommend as if your tenant looses their job, becomes ill and cannot pay the rent, the insurance will pay until you get a new tenant. http://www.letsure.co.uk/

Letsure provides a product with high levels of cover at a competitive price. The key benefits are shown below:

100% of your monthly rental income for up to 12 months or until vacant possession is achieved whichever happens sooner.
75% of your monthly rental income for up to 2 months after vacant possession has been achieved whilst you are trying to relet the property.
Provides a legal service that will seek to evict your tenant for non-payment of rent.
Provides up to £60,000 of legal cover to defend a legal action brought against you by a tenant and to remove squatters.
Are you on commission from Letsure?!!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is not what it says.

I personally would not bother with this type of insurance.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

We have had the house on the market for around 8 weeks now and getting fed up with waiting for it to sell
If you have not had any interest, the reason may be that the house is priced above its true value.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me with all that info - will have a read thru all those sites.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have not had any interest, the reason may be that the house is priced above its true value.
We had interest initially - about 7 or 8 viewers then the summer hols came along and it all went quiet. The feedback didn't involve any moans about it being overpriced - in fact 2 lots really liked it but hadn't sold theirs yet.

The estate agent said the lack of viewers was due to the summer hols. Now the children have been back at school a week we are wondering whether we need to reduce the price as it hasn't picked up. We personally thought that the agent had overpriced it but chose to go with it to see what response we would get. We will be reducing the price this week.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is not what it says.

I personally would not bother with this type of insurance.
Thanks BS
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BS
We also lived in Hampshire and moved over here 3 1/2 years ago, albeit on a Temp Visa so slightly different circumstances. We obviously wanted to keep our house to derisk the move in case we had to go back and to cover the mortgage, which is doesn't but again keeping the house was important to us.
As Bermuda Shorts mentioned, let go of it as a 'home' and put it in the 'income' pot. If we ever had to go back to ours we always knew we would do a complete redecoration overhaul and bring it 'back' to us again.
Definatly get an Agent, ours charges 10% of the rent. We did NR1 so do not pay tax on the income. We have Landlords Insurance and Mortgage Company approval to let. I also have an extra insurance to cover the cooker, dishwasher, Boiler and ALL plumbing...just in case!
We may now be looking to stay Permanently and if so will sell the house, we are making a loss on the mortgage vs rent so it would not be economically viable to keep it and any profit we make could go towards a deposit on a house here...which are bloody expensive!!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

We had interest initially - about 7 or 8 viewers then the summer hols came along and it all went quiet. The feedback didn't involve any moans about it being overpriced - in fact 2 lots really liked it but hadn't sold theirs yet.

The estate agent said the lack of viewers was due to the summer hols. Now the children have been back at school a week we are wondering whether we need to reduce the price as it hasn't picked up. We personally thought that the agent had overpriced it but chose to go with it to see what response we would get. We will be reducing the price this week.
7 or 8 viewers and no offer would indicate there is either something wrong with the price or the house.You've now lost your main chance at selling it.

You get the vast majority of viewers through in the first few weeks, now you're at the mercy of people who via the use of Property bee and Zoopla will be able to see that you've reduced your sale price after being on the market for 8 weeks, if they have any sense they'll chase your sale price even lower as it's obvious your desperate to sell.

Estate agents in my experience do eff all to sell the house and will feed you a load of claptrap, summer hols, cold weather, hot weather, wrong month, close to Xmas etc etc, always a reason for no viewers. You fell for the one who gave you the highest price to get your business, now it will sit on the market.

do your own research via Zoopla and rightmove to establish what your house is worth, in my experience that will be just as good as what anyone else does, then price it to sell considering

a. house prices fell 1.3% last month alone according to Halifax
b. the state of the world economy
c. from mid november onwards people are thinking about Xmas, not buying a house