Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Renting

Advice on Renting

Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

rrae1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Renting

I am looking to move to Australia in the very near future, I have a job offer for the Melbourne area and am looking for info on the best place to rent?

I am ideally looking for a furnished rent that allows pets as the dog will be joining us after its been through quarentine.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Renting

That is a very broad question, "Melbourne area" is quite a big place . I am not living there, nbut so others can assist you a bit better might be worth adding a couple more details such as where work is and what budget you have.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for somewhere that isnt to far to travel back and forth from the city. I know someone who is living out in traralgon
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rrae1986
Thanks for the reply, I am looking for somewhere that isnt to far to travel back and forth from the city. I know someone who is living out in traralgon
Traralgon and not far to the city are not compatible. Traralgon is a regional town 160 kms (100 mi) out of Melbourne CBD. Your answer does not help narrow it down.
As suggested by BS, tell us where you will be working, what your budget is, how big/small a place you want and whether you want to be near the beach, the city or the hills?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

I've been told the offices are in Melbourne (city) that's as much as I know. I don't really have a preference as to living near to beach or hills etc. as close to the city as possible. I would be looking for a 3 bedroom for about $400 a week max
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rrae1986
I've been told the offices are in Melbourne (city) that's as much as I know. I don't really have a preference as to living near to beach or hills etc. as close to the city as possible. I would be looking for a 3 bedroom for about $400 a week max
That's better
For your budget, you would most likely have to go about 40 minutes out by train. There are some great areas within that commute, a d of course some not so great. Rentals are scarcer in the good areas but if you are willing to forego a garden, you could get a unit (usually a newer style house on subdivided land) for that sort of rent in the area where I live (Eltham - Greensborough)

Anything closer to the city will be dearer or smaller. $400/week will not get you much in the inner suburbs.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:29 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
That's better
For your budget, you would most likely have to go about 40 minutes out by train. There are some great areas within that commute, a d of course some not so great. Rentals are scarcer in the good areas but if you are willing to forego a garden, you could get a unit (usually a newer style house on subdivided land) for that sort of rent in the area where I live (Eltham - Greensborough)

Anything closer to the city will be dearer or smaller. $400/week will not get you much in the inner suburbs.
the western suburbs aren't as pretty but they are cheaper, there are a lot of refineries etc there

never settle on somewhere without seeing it first, get a short term rental and hunt for what you want then.