Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for renters

Advice for renters

Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for renters

HI, I only post on here to hopefully give good advice.
When looking for a rental property take care to find a house that is easy to maintain. That would be my primary concern if I was doing it again. We went for the lovely house with spa and landscaped gardens. You will be busy when you arrive and you will suddenly realise that the garden is a jungle and needs the garden equivalent of emergency surgery. Also you will not want to do it.
Best wishes, Karen.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:11 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Advice for renters

Originally Posted by Muzzman
When looking for a rental property take care to find a house that is easy to maintain. That would be my primary concern if I was doing it again. We went for the lovely house with spa and landscaped gardens. You will be busy when you arrive and you will suddenly realise that the garden is a jungle and needs the garden equivalent of emergency surgery. Also you will not want to do it.
Best wishes, Karen.

Would totally agree with you. Our garden (rental) takes 3 hours to mow the grass when it is growing!!!

Bring your mower if you can too as the one they provided is c**p!!!

Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Muzzman
Best wishes, Karen.
and for the love of god, don't pick one with white carpets :scared: - what the hell were we thinking
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:15 am
scoobydoo

Also, make sure you look at the property in daylight. We didn't. We were very stupid. Didn't see that the blinds were knackered, the garden was huger than we thought, and it was littered with old rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Shellfish
and for the love of god, don't pick one with white carpets :scared: - what the hell were we thinking
I guess you were thinking: "That looks Nice"

We tiled ours. No maintanence, no replacing, no expensive cleaning.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure there is a covered outdoor area plus somewhere covered to park. Take photos and detail every (even minor) defect (inside and out - even the lawn!), submit to agent and get a signed copy. Avoid renting near an alleyway... a pain at night for noise. If you have critters, buy mortein bombs. Try to get a 3 month rental incase you get stuck in a $hit hole like us!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

More to the point, what the hell were the owners thinking
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:39 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Make sure there is a covered outdoor area plus somewhere covered to park. Take photos and detail every (even minor) defect (inside and out - even the lawn!), submit to agent and get a signed copy. Avoid renting near an alleyway... a pain at night for noise. If you have critters, buy mortein bombs. Try to get a 3 month rental incase you get stuck in a $hit hole like us!
EEK! Larissa!!! Is it really that bad??? Thought you got rid of all your unwanted guests??
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

teagg is an unknown quantity at this point

All brilliant advice... but can I get some more... we're in a new rental and DD has possetted (well burped up) some delights (ie not milk, but not solid either). I've had a go with bicarbonate of soda - and then a dry carpet cleaning powder from here in Aus... there is still a lighter/v slight orange tinge to this carpet :scared: (it's a brown/grey/fawn funky modern, minimalist sodding bloddy colour ) .... any advice?
My mother's comment was that she always sat us on a sheet or towel etc when we were children... (clunk once the horse is over the hill)....
thanks
G
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teagg
All brilliant advice... but can I get some more... we're in a new rental and DD has possetted (well burped up) some delights (ie not milk, but not solid either). I've had a go with bicarbonate of soda - and then a dry carpet cleaning powder from here in Aus... there is still a lighter/v slight orange tinge to this carpet :scared: (it's a brown/grey/fawn funky modern, minimalist sodding bloddy colour ) .... any advice?
My mother's comment was that she always sat us on a sheet or towel etc when we were children... (clunk once the horse is over the hill)....
thanks
G
Hi Teagg
I've tried the "Preen" spray which is great, rub it in really well and it *may* shift!
I would also follow mum's advice as it's easier to explain one stain, but a bit harder if your littlun does the same in several areas. One idea which sounded good to me was to buy a metre of curtain material from spotlight, the type which has a plasticy lining to block out light.
ATB Larissa

PS Petra- yes, I saw 3 the other day (but had left the laundry door open and haven't seen anymore ) and have 3 more bombs waiting to go!
Hope you're doing well
ATB
Larissa
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:43 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Our landscaping isnt done yet!(brand new built house ) supposed to be sometime this week! but outside is an absolute ant haven cant leave doors open as they come marching in by the hundreds!!

Donna.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
More to the point, what the hell were the owners thinking
It's true, I am at the point where I think that it''s their problem now
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:30 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madsad
Our landscaping isnt done yet!(brand new built house ) supposed to be sometime this week! but outside is an absolute ant haven cant leave doors open as they come marching in by the hundreds!!

Donna.

Hi Donna
Get the real estate agent u r renting from (or whoever) to get the house sprayed for the ants etc...this should be done as a matter of course and they r liable to pay for it...........we are with Harcourts they are superb....anything I have asked them to do has been done within a few days......we have been here 6 months now and the spider population is multiplying again so its time to get hoose sprayed again will fone tomorro and someone will be here by end of week......remember we are paying the rent so keep on top of the beggars and get them to work for their bloody comission.....one other thing....never pay what they r askin for the rent....haggle as u would for a house....ours was originally $295 a week but i asked neighbours and knew house had been empty for 3 months so i offered $250 they sed $260 deal
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We must have been lucky with our rental, as it is fab!!!

We have redecorated throughout (with owners permission), and as Mick is a painter/decorator didnt take him 5 minutes!!
We have 4 large bedrooms, lounge, dining room, family room, snooker room, bloody everything!! Oh and a lovely pool. Owner was also fine about us getting Lampard........for those that dont know Lampard is Tobys Boxer puppy, whom if you hadnt guessed is a fantic chelsea supporter!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Rental property with white or cream carpets is generally a sign that the landlord is shrewd, and wants to keep your bond, as they are a bitch to keep clean and they know this!

I lived in a rented high rise in Sydney and almost every apartment had white carpets. I opted for an apartment with a wooden floor. My friends in their lovely, soft, cumfy carpeted apartment lost their bond :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.