Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for relocating on low to no budget...

Advice for relocating on low to no budget...

Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

E_Daniels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for relocating on low to no budget...

I'm relocating to Sydney most likely, within 6 months.

I have a job to go to, but NO IDEA as to how to sort out living arrangements etc...

I'm getting no financial assistance with my relocation, so any tips, hints advice or actual help with a place to stay temporarily whilst I get settled would be appreciated.

I'd love to make new friends before I get there, so feel free to reach out and get to know me
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for relocating on low to no budget...

How long have you been in Brisbane?
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:13 am
Just Joined

3 or so years. Very recently divorced, which left me below the poverty line and with very few reasons to stay in brissy.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not 100% sure I understand what you are looking for.

You are working so I guess you need to save up during the next six months before you move down and then maybe stay in youth hostel for a couple of weeks whilst you look for an affordable unit.

How you go about this is probably much the same as how you went about it in Brisbane, look on internet, go along to open houses etc.

When you get here there is a regular Thursday night meet up in the CBD, you will see it in the meet up section. I have not been along myself but sounds like they are a nice friendly bunch.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Just looking for basic moving advice.

Have job to go to, I just have no money to pay for accommodation for the first month etc... I earn very little in Brisbane... My ex wife had all the money, position and did all the moving details first time around.

Links, recommendations and the usual other basic advice is what I'm looking for to be honest. I will indeed, go to get-togethers to make new acquaintances when I do get there
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:51 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E_Daniels
Just looking for basic moving advice.

Have job to go to, I just have no money to pay for accommodation for the first month etc... I earn very little in Brisbane... My ex wife had all the money, position and did all the moving details first time around.

Links, recommendations and the usual other basic advice is what I'm looking for to be honest. I will indeed, go to get-togethers to make new acquaintances when I do get there
Sydney is a bit of a rough uncaring city, and it's expensive. Accommodation costs can be prohibitive and rental is in short supply.

I would be careful of moving here without backup funds. Not wanting to put a dampener on your plans, just advising caution.

Good luck.

Ross
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sydney is a bit of a rough uncaring city, and it's expensive. Accommodation costs can be prohibitive and rental is in short supply.

I would be careful of moving here without backup funds. Not wanting to put a dampener on your plans, just advising caution.

Good luck.

Ross
Cheers for that Ross... I've almost no funds in reality.

Going to see if there's any way people I'm going to be working with can help me on a temporary basis whilst I get settled.

Last edited by E_Daniels; Nov 27th 2011 at 8:54 pm. Reason: Accidentally posted without finishing original post
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest way to do it is probably to rent a room in a house-share.

Check www.gumtree.com you should be able to find a decent room for 150-200 a week without too much problem.

Also a good way to meet new people, but make sure you try and find a house with people of similar age/situation that you feel you can get on with.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:47 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The cheapest way to do it is probably to rent a room in a house-share.

Check www.gumtree.com you should be able to find a decent room for 150-200 a week without too much problem.

Also a good way to meet new people, but make sure you try and find a house with people of similar age/situation that you feel you can get on with.
Good idea, and Bermuda has a good idea with hostels too. There are quite a lot of cheap backpackers accommodation in Sydney, where you could stay for a while. I live in the city, and will take a look at prices later today.

Good luck with the move,and don't feel alone. you aren't the first guy to land in your position. The Antichrist threw me out with nothing then emptied my bank accounts. I lived on a borrowed army camp bed for months. A lot of guys will know the same story.....
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Ex's eh? They like leaving us in the S***...

I've a few friends looking into things for me. I'll manage it, even if I have to sell my car when I get there.

Cheers people
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
A lot of guys will know the same story.....
And a lot of women will know the story as well. Especially those who have no choice but to leave abusive spouses with nothing but the clothes on their backs.