Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on reducing Jet lag

Advice on reducing Jet lag

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on reducing Jet lag

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
We've done 4 trips to Aus before, and we've generally never suffered too much. Certainly never had any of the symptoms list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag#Symptoms

But then I'm pretty good with sleep and can go without a nights sleeps if needs be. I can't sleep on a plane anyway and I love watching all the films. The Mrs on the other hand is terrible and needs her 10 hours 'beauty sleep' or she's stuffed. In fact she's asleep on the sofa now because we had friends round until gone midnight.

The worst I find is my bladder control! No matter how quickly I get my sleeping patterns in line, I'm still getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak, which then disrupts my sleeping pattern. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to force your bladders body clock to chance though?
Self catheterisation?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:26 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:38 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Flying out at the end of the month.
Stopping in bangkok for a 2 hour transfer.

Having never flew anything like this distance, i'm not sure what the best strategy is to reduce jet lag on arrival.

Flight Sets off from Heathrow at 21:50 arriving in Sydney 06:25

Therefore what advice could you give to me in terms of when to sleep and when to try and stay awake as long as you can ?

We also have a 4 year old with us

Thanks for the help

Stu
My friend has just had a visit to the uk from oz and they have three children aged 7, 4 and 18 months. She has made the trip a few times and really struggled with the jet lag but this time she took the advice of a friend and bought sleeping pills for her and her husband and gave the children anti histermine. She was horrified at the thought of doing it but she said that she had to admit it was the best flight they have ever done.
Unfortunately, being a very nosey person, I've got no chance of sleeping with or without sleeping pills
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ittakesages
My friend has just had a visit to the uk from oz and they have three children aged 7, 4 and 18 months. She has made the trip a few times and really struggled with the jet lag but this time she took the advice of a friend and bought sleeping pills for her and her husband and gave the children anti histermine. She was horrified at the thought of doing it but she said that she had to admit it was the best flight they have ever done.
Unfortunately, being a very nosey person, I've got no chance of sleeping with or without sleeping pills
You have to be careful with kids and phenergan (antihistamine) - if you dont know what impact it has on kids then dont use it. It used to absolutely hype one of my boys up no end so instead of sleeping he would be bouncing off the walls! It is OTC though if you want to go down that route and are prepared to try it first.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Sounds silly but don't wear a watch, don't refer to the time back in th UK, focus on the time where you are.

This worked a treat. We did not suffer at all. Arrived early hours of the morning and slept until about 10.30. The first few days we slept in in the mornings but thats it....no other problems both ways.

By the way I can't sleep on planes so just read a lot and watched films etc.

Cx
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
We've done 4 trips to Aus before, and we've generally never suffered too much. Certainly never had any of the symptoms list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag#Symptoms

But then I'm pretty good with sleep and can go without a nights sleeps if needs be. I can't sleep on a plane anyway and I love watching all the films. The Mrs on the other hand is terrible and needs her 10 hours 'beauty sleep' or she's stuffed. In fact she's asleep on the sofa now because we had friends round until gone midnight.

The worst I find is my bladder control! No matter how quickly I get my sleeping patterns in line, I'm still getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak, which then disrupts my sleeping pattern. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to force your bladders body clock to chance though?
You're one of the "fortunate souls" then <g>

The article is interesting and brings up the point about polar flights: jetlag via say Alaska is horrendous! Depending on the time of year you might take off from London in the morning, fly North until the sun sets behind you then, near the pole the sun rises but soon after, due to the meridians passing quickly, sets again before rising again as you fly SouthWest over Alaska. You land at breakfast time the same day and can't remember your own name!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Better to need the loo than not need it because you're dehydrated. I do try to drink a lot of water on planes (and drink about 3l a day normally) but I still think maybe my jetlag dizziness is due to dehydration.

moneypen, you bring up a point me and the mister were discussing yesterday. Currently we only take 9 days including travelling to do our annual rellie visit from Singapore (he only gets 15 days a year and we like a few hols). We're not going to manage that if we move to Oz, are we? Is 2 weeks really doable? We stay in 3 different locations from one end of England to the other. We've yet to find out how many days holiday he'd get.

Actually it's probably irrelevant 'cos we won't be able to afford holidays if we move to Oz.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
moneypen, you bring up a point me and the mister were discussing yesterday. Currently we only take 9 days including travelling to do our annual rellie visit from Singapore (he only gets 15 days a year and we like a few hols). We're not going to manage that if we move to Oz, are we? Is 2 weeks really doable? We stay in 3 different locations from one end of England to the other. We've yet to find out how many days holiday he'd get.

Actually it's probably irrelevant 'cos we won't be able to afford holidays if we move to Oz.
Simple answer? Don't know All my family and friends are in Herts. Hubby's mum and step dad are down in Dorset so most of the time we'll be in Herts with a few days down south. Lots of friends in other places but if they want to see us they'll have to come to us. Hubby isn't coming with us because if he takes time off he won't get paid and he doesn't want to anyway. We're doing two weeks because of the school hols and I really don't want to be there any longer than that