Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice plse from brisbanite cat lovers

Advice plse from brisbanite cat lovers

Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Advice plse from brisbanite cat lovers

Plse can anyone give me some advice. Suddenly very concerned as a lot of rental properties state either no pets or outdoor only pets. I have 3 well behaved cats, who only scratch their posts and toys, but they are house cats. I e-mailed an LJ Hooker branch and they said their properties are outdoor pets only. I figured someone must have house cats who needed to rent for a period prior to buying. 4 weeks quarantine is one thing, but a cattery for the period of time that we will need to look for a property to buy is out the question. All advice appreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice plse from brisbanite cat lovers

Originally Posted by logan
Plse can anyone give me some advice. Suddenly very concerned as a lot of rental properties state either no pets or outdoor only pets. I have 3 well behaved cats, who only scratch their posts and toys, but they are house cats. I e-mailed an LJ Hooker branch and they said their properties are outdoor pets only. I figured someone must have house cats who needed to rent for a period prior to buying. 4 weeks quarantine is one thing, but a cattery for the period of time that we will need to look for a property to buy is out the question. All advice appreciated.
I live in a town house complex in Brisbane where most of the houses are rental and quite a few people have small pets.

At the moment in Brisbane there are loads of vacant rental properties.You have to pay a bond (about 4 weeks rent in advance) and sign a statement on the property's condition at the start of the lease which you don't get back unless the the condition is the same at the end of the lease.

I'm sure you would be able to negotiate a lease as a lot of people are desperate to rent out their investment properties.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by logan
I've been renting for years with cats in various houses. There are plenty of houses/landlords that allow you to have indoor cats.

It seems Mr LJ hooker couldn't be bothered asking the landlords of his rentals.

Look all it means that you have less choice than someone without pets.. a lot of the homes that say "outdoor only" that is referring to dogs, a lot of landlords don't want big dogs inside their homes .. if Mr hooker would ask the landlords about cats.. you may find that a couple of them will agree to cats.

What I have found that properties that don't say anything about pets are usually negotiable, properties that say outdoor pets.. a lot of them mean dogs, and some of them do allow cats inside ( had one like this myself.. I asked , estate agent came back to me and said it's ok.. the landlord just didn't want a load of big dogs inside his house so he put outdoor pets into the advert) . you will also see some "pets maybe'.. these tend to be negotiable as well.

I just think because you emailed the estate agent from the UK..and not interested in a one particular property, that the agents just looked through their list to see if any of them had the wording "pets allowed" in their adverts without contacting any of the landlords.

All it means when you're here, and you see a rental you like - ask them if they allow cats. A lot of properties don't but a lot do..
It just means that you have less properties to choose from that's all. Don't worry about it.. I was renting with cats for around 6 years. I'd hate to give a figure of rentals which allow pets. please don't quote me on these figures.. but for say every one that allowed pets there were two/ three that didn't when I was in renting various homes. There are plenty of rentals here that do allow cats
Cheers

P.S
logan and I mentioned this before to you as you know, regarding your three cats.. Can I throw a little suggestion in - you obviously have some sort of idea where you will be going to in Brisbane, look up that councils website, download the form and apply now to have three cats . Explain your situation. you may get a licence easier than applying within. ( my main worry would be applying within and getting turned down.. test the water first)

when you get here you are actually breaking the law with all these councils in Brisbane owning three cats without a licence.you need a licence for the third ( me.. I don't care a damn, I'll fight tooth and nail and stand against laws if they are unjust .. and if I was in your situation I wouldn't bother going for a licence...But I'm just giving you the bylaws if you want to abide by this law.. you will always get that one odd old g8t , or busybody in life who will grass you up)

Just a suggestion..

good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 10th 2004 at 6:47 am.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

thank you mary1 and ceri. Makes me feel a little more reassured. My other half is arriving...any time now actually to sit a couple of exams re. his work so he's going to have a chat with a couple of agents. Good idea about applying for the licences in advance. Like the idea about keeping stuum (sp?!) even better. Hmmm will look into that and think about it.