Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice pleeeeease

Advice pleeeeease

Old Mar 10th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

sharp517 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice pleeeeease

Hi all, I am waiting to hear about relocating from the UK to Darwin to work in Child Protection as a Social Worker.... Info from existing Social Workers in Australia wanted please..

Also any advice on the following (Positive please and not simply 'Don't do it' or 'Are you nuts' lol)

Where to live in and around Darwin...thinking Palmerston (Aparently it's cheaper to rent)..??

Has anyone emigrated from the UK and taken dogs to this region? If so what are the main risks to their health....I.e. Chances of dogs encountering snakes etc.. If so what is the vet service like in Darwin.

Cost of living for me as a single guy.. Salary approx $65000 this needs to cover my rent and daily living etc....

Social life in and around Darwin (Not just the bars etc..but for Gym's and activities etc...I am 41, clean and healthy etc...

Am also hopefully bringing my Mountain bike as a means of transport, I think.....

If any other Social Workers/Health Profs reading this cold give me advice...re working in the NT I would very much appreciate it..

Kind but cold regards from Chris
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice pleeeeease

Welcome cannot help you with the work situation but Darwin is a city and has all facilities of a city, although it has an asian flavour these days. Its hot and muggy in the summer wet season and nice in the winter. Depends on the dog it would have to acclimatise. Dogs do get bitten by snakes but no more up there in Darwin than anywhere as the snakes are everywhere. Ticks are a problem and heart work in the tropics, although heart worm tends to be everywhere these days. My parents lived in the Kimberly for years and they had dogs and they never got bitten by a snake. Snakes do not like us they tend to keep out of the way as long as the grass is short, no rubbish around etc.

Only problem for me is the distance from the rest of Aus and the cost of getting anywhere else in Aus.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Petals, thanks for your reply... I guess it seems that the risks of snake is as much a concern as lettig a dog run along the pavement without a leash....I.e. there is a chance of the dog running in front of a vehicle?

I have heard that there are good dog specific parks in the towns and cities...If this is the case, I am thinking that the more the merrier...

Regards Chris
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharp517
Hi Petals, thanks for your reply... I guess it seems that the risks of snake is as much a concern as lettig a dog run along the pavement without a leash....I.e. there is a chance of the dog running in front of a vehicle?

I have heard that there are good dog specific parks in the towns and cities...If this is the case, I am thinking that the more the merrier...

Regards Chris
Have a look for posts by Geordie Mandy - she has been in Darwin a while now and has posted an awful lot about living there
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I am waiting to hear about relocating from the UK to Darwin to work in Child Protection as a Social Worker.... Info from existing Social Workers in Australia wanted please..

Also any advice on the following (Positive please and not simply 'Don't do it' or 'Are you nuts' lol)

Where to live in and around Darwin...thinking Palmerston (Aparently it's cheaper to rent)..??

Has anyone emigrated from the UK and taken dogs to this region? If so what are the main risks to their health....I.e. Chances of dogs encountering snakes etc.. If so what is the vet service like in Darwin.

Cost of living for me as a single guy.. Salary approx $65000 this needs to cover my rent and daily living etc....

Social life in and around Darwin (Not just the bars etc..but for Gym's and activities etc...I am 41, clean and healthy etc...

Am also hopefully bringing my Mountain bike as a means of transport, I think.....

If any other Social Workers/Health Profs reading this cold give me advice...re working in the NT I would very much appreciate it..

Kind but cold regards from Chris
Can't comment on most of your post but I wish you well with your move and as our illustrious super mod Pollyanna suggests you should look up Mandy as she has been in Darwin for a while. I would suggest taking pet insurance when you get here. Anti-venom for a dog is very expensive and you could kiss goodbye to a few thousand dollars if your dog is bitten.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:49 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Darwin is very hot and humid and you'd impress me greatly if you do manage to use that mountain bike regularly. Central Darwin is the nicest place to live if you can afford it - try Fanny Bay near the marina. Palmerston is a suburb and may be a bit dull for a single person. With regard to the dog be careful of paralysis ticks which can kill (the vet can sort you out with treatments and more information) and cane toads (if the dog is small they can get serious I'll from licking and eating them). Snakes are unlikely to harm a dog - I remember a number of cat deaths by carpet pythons but I suspect a dog is too big.

Social life wise there are a couple of yacht clubs we used to frequent - one at Fanny Bay and Dinah Beach. The pier has acceptable restaurants.

Darwin can be quite beautiful - the storms in the wet and the sunsets are impressive. Nearby are some lovely national parks and rivers filled with massive crocs. There's great birdwatching too in the wetlands.
It's pretty hardcore compared to the east coast - hotter, higher percentage of indigenous and I hear quite expensive now due to growth in mining there. People are generally friendly.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northernbird
Can't comment on most of your post but I wish you well with your move and as our illustrious super mod Pollyanna suggests you should look up Mandy as she has been in Darwin for a while. I would suggest taking pet insurance when you get here. Anti-venom for a dog is very expensive and you could kiss goodbye to a few thousand dollars if your dog is bitten.
Thanks, thats very informative. I think safeguarding my dogs will be my first step once they arrive. I was looking at the Palmerston area as the rental costs of what look like decent homes are around the $450 mark per week.. I am deffinately not against the idea of living in or near central Darwin for a while and I have read about goverment employees recieving subsidised housing??? Any info would be appreciated...

I have emailed Mandy and spent ages reading her posts which I find really interesting (So thanks Mandy).

Anyway, I think its a bit of a waiting game now as I am crossing my fingers waiting for interview in London.

Cheers Chris
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Darwin can be quite beautiful - the storms in the wet and the sunsets are impressive. Nearby are some lovely national parks and rivers filled with massive crocs. There's great birdwatching too in the wetlands.
It's pretty hardcore compared to the east coast - hotter, higher percentage of indigenous and I hear quite expensive now due to growth in mining there. People are generally friendly.
I do like the idea of the Yacht club.... I am originally from Chester in the U.K. the nearest thing we had to a yacht club was looking at the canal barges on the Shropshire Union Canal... lol I am imagining my friends at home in the UK when I email them saying I am off to the Yacht Club (I think they would ban me from returning home lol) Seriously, I am only pulling your leg. I appreciate your help.

I genuinly love the outdoors and wildlife too hence why I am looking at the tropical regions...think it stems back from my military days..

What are the restaurants like for eating out as a vegetarian? And shopping wise for food???

Anyway, cheers Chris
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:48 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I do like the idea of the Yacht club.... I am originally from Chester in the U.K. the nearest thing we had to a yacht club was looking at the canal barges on the Shropshire Union Canal... lol I am imagining my friends at home in the UK when I email them saying I am off to the Yacht Club (I think they would ban me from returning home lol) Seriously, I am only pulling your leg. I appreciate your help.

I genuinly love the outdoors and wildlife too hence why I am looking at the tropical regions...think it stems back from my military days..

What are the restaurants like for eating out as a vegetarian? And shopping wise for food???

Anyway, cheers Chris
Don't get the idea that the yacht clubs are posh in anyway!!! This is Darwin...

Australian standard fare is a massive slab of meat and chips. There are veggie options but pretty unimaginative and you'll probably prefer to cook yourself at home.

The job sounds rather challenging. There are a lot of well publicized issues with the communities in Darwin - good luck and I hope you enjoy it
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I understand re the Yacht club.....I was kidding.
Thanks for your reply and re the veggy thing..I think if I am asked to host barbies....then I might need to rethink lol

Cheers anyway from Chris
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris
Happy to help, Darwin has a variety of different activities on depending on what you like doing. There are loads of sports clubs. my OH plays a game of football with blokes in their 40+ age group in Fannie bay during the week just for fun.
There are plenty of other footbal clubs too that attract the older set. there are also some nice social clubs like the boat trailer club which are good to got for a meal and a drink with mates. Stunning views as well. We go to tracey Village social club occasionaly as a family.
Although you cant swim in the sea stingers and crocs are about. But there is the wave pool and various other swimming pools.
You mention biking and i love getting my bike out as there are so many bike tracks to choose from both off road and cycle paths for the more tame. Im after getting a cycle cam as i get such a buzz from the scenary around me that i want to share it with my freinds and family.
There are loads of coffee shops and im a regular at Gloria Jeans in Casuarina (the biggest shopping center). They have even now got a sumo salad for all who like to eat healthy.
I find clothes shopping to be adequate, and my hubby has no issues with the choice for himself.
Palmy i dont know as well although i do drive around the suburbs visiting clients. House prices are that little cheaper and i do have freinds who do tend to live down there. Like all livable areas there are some areas i would not go into on a dark night on my own, as they are a little rough for me liking. However there are some lovely areas that i feel quite safe visiting. Living rural is often cheaper but a commute is then a factor. Although It takes me an hour or so from where i live to get to Livingstone which is my most rural client at present providing i dont get caught in a sudden heavy down pour or stuck behind a road train.
Life really is what you make it in Darwin, health care aint fantastic but you always have the option to fly to another city to get treatment.
Im sure you will have more questions and im happy to answer them either on here or via email.
Good luck
Mandy