Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice Please - when to put house on Market?

Advice Please - when to put house on Market?

Old May 23rd 2005, 8:05 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Advice Please - when to put house on Market?

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few days and finally managed to get the courage to post . My H and I are moving to Perth in March next year, just in the process of sorting out his spouse visa as I am an Aussie/British duel citizen (but born in Oz, so really an Aussie). Question is - and I know it's a how long is a peice of string one - but when do you recommend putting the house on the market? Our thinking is September time, I am due to have a baby at the end of the November and we also know that Oct-Jan are "dead" months for selling at the best of times.

I'd be really grateful for any advice/tales or expereinces.

PS - we are in Bristol, UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Michelle
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Advice Please - when to put house on Market?

I don't know if this helps but we first put our house on the market back in October, nothing happened until January, it then took until the beginning of May before we had an offer... 2 on the same day then!! typical!..

But a lot will depend on the type of house you have, we don't have a first time buyer house, and are now at the top of a chain of 4. Most of the viewers we had loved the house but were waiting to sell themsevles, it was very fustrating..

You also need to consider where you want to be when the babies born, we moved to the house we are in now when I was 7 months pregnant, I wouldn't have wanted to do it with a new born baby, if I was you I would consider selling now, and moving to rented, then just unpacking what you need to. You will only have to give a months notice to the landlord... it might be less stressful in the longer term.. If we had sold in October, (at the time our boys were 3 years and 6 months) we were looking forward to getting rid of the house and living in rented for 6 months or so, one less hassle nearer the time..

Anyway... after all my rambling..
Good luck with what ever you decide!! it's not an easy one!!

Julie
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Michelle,
Welcome to the forum. My advise is put the house on the market now. There has been some of us here, that have been on the market 5 months plus and not a sniff. the market is dead in majority of area's, so dont delay.l If you are lucky to sell early, then go into rented. The stress to sell your house when you are nearing on leaving is too much. Sell early and enjoy your new arrival.

chris
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few days and finally managed to get the courage to post . My H and I are moving to Perth in March next year, just in the process of sorting out his spouse visa as I am an Aussie/British duel citizen (but born in Oz, so really an Aussie). Question is - and I know it's a how long is a peice of string one - but when do you recommend putting the house on the market? Our thinking is September time, I am due to have a baby at the end of the November and we also know that Oct-Jan are "dead" months for selling at the best of times.

I'd be really grateful for any advice/tales or expereinces.

PS - we are in Bristol, UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Michelle
Michelle,

personally I would say put it on the market now. Yes, that's now. Right away, today. this minute.

We put our house in Filton on the market in June last year with Connells. After a month of having noone through the door we changed to Taylors who managed to get us loads of viewings but no sensible offers so on Jan 1st we changed to Yourmove (on Gloucester Rd, Gary is VERY good) who sold our house within 3 weeks and are only charging us 1.6% whereas Taylors would not negotiate on their 1.75% fee which was one of the reasons we dumped them. We should complete the sale on friday so as you can see it has taken us nearly 12 months to be rid of our house and 4 months since we accepted a decent offer. It's not the same as it was 18 months ago where houses in Bradley Stoke were selling in less than a week, the market in Bristol has gone through the floor and you need to get the house ready and on the market before the decent months of the summer.

Which part of Bristol are you in?

oh and welcome

Steve
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:54 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Michelle,

personally I would say put it on the market now. Yes, that's now. Right away, today. this minute.

We put our house in Filton on the market in June last year with Connells. After a month of having noone through the door we changed to Taylors who managed to get us loads of viewings but no sensible offers so on Jan 1st we changed to Yourmove (on Gloucester Rd, Gary is VERY good) who sold our house within 3 weeks and are only charging us 1.6% whereas Taylors would not negotiate on their 1.75% fee which was one of the reasons we dumped them. We should complete the sale on friday so as you can see it has taken us nearly 12 months to be rid of our house and 4 months since we accepted a decent offer. It's not the same as it was 18 months ago where houses in Bradley Stoke were selling in less than a week, the market in Bristol has gone through the floor and you need to get the house ready and on the market before the decent months of the summer.

Which part of Bristol are you in?

oh and welcome

Steve
Hi steve,

I thought I replied to this but am new and have obviously pressed the wrong button!!) Well, seems we might be within shouting distance because I am also in Filton (Filton Park bit if you call it by the estate agent's name ). We have got a bit of work to do - new gutters etc as there are three (and soon to be four) houses for sale on our road at the moment so lots of competition. They've been on for months now and no signs of interest so it is looking dead, as you say. In fact they are all on with Right Move.

Renting is not a great option for us. we've floated this idea but my husband works remotely from his office and his employer won't pay to relocate his office for a few months so we will have to stay put until we move (if we have to move early it will be to moce in my my In Laws for a (very!) short time before leaving. we could keep trying with the negotiations though...

Thanks for your message. it was very helpful. Have you got a number for Gary at Right Move (I could look it up i spose...)

Thanks again

Michelle
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi steve,

I thought I replied to this but am new and have obviously pressed the wrong button!!) Well, seems we might be within shouting distance because I am also in Filton (Filton Park bit if you call it by the estate agent's name ). We have got a bit of work to do - new gutters etc as there are three (and soon to be four) houses for sale on our road at the moment so lots of competition. They've been on for months now and no signs of interest so it is looking dead, as you say. In fact they are all on with Right Move.

Renting is not a great option for us. we've floated this idea but my husband works remotely from his office and his employer won't pay to relocate his office for a few months so we will have to stay put until we move (if we have to move early it will be to moce in my my In Laws for a (very!) short time before leaving. we could keep trying with the negotiations though...

Thanks for your message. it was very helpful. Have you got a number for Gary at Right Move (I could look it up i spose...)

Thanks again

Michelle

01179236290, tell them Steve & Clare Howe recommended them.

We lived just behind Filton college which isn't quite as nice as your area. Filton park is up off the top of Gloucester road isn't it? We found that the houses there seemed to be similar in design to ours but about 10k more expensive.

You should be ok, they seem to get the right people in through the door rather than just playing the numbers game which is what we found that Taylors did. Tracey at Taylors is pretty good but we sat in on some of the showings and her staff doing the showings weren't particularly good, some were quite negative at times.

Good luck

Steve
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

I would put it on the market now, rented accommodation is always easier to get out of.

We are leaving in 5 wks and still haven't sold, I wish I had sold earlier. We put it on the market mid Feb and starting to sweat a bit now

Best of luck.