Advice please

Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough
Default Advice please

Hi all,

My mother in law is going on Holiday to oz for 2 months in August, she is wanting to be able to communicate back to the UK via text messages is this possible?
if so how?
would she need to buy an oz sim?
what region would her phone have to be?
what is the most cost effective method?

many thanks in advance, now hit me with the knowledge.
Rich
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

emmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice please

If I remember rightly I am sure all she has to do is use her mobile from over here but when texting she will have to use the english dialing code infront of the mobile number
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rich8509
Hi all,

My mother in law is going on Holiday to oz for 2 months in August, she is wanting to be able to communicate back to the UK via text messages is this possible?
if so how?

Rich
Good question. We are off to Oz in July/Aug and were wondering the same thing.
Wasn't sure that the UK sim would work over there and were thinking we'd have to get a cheap sim in Oz. If anyone else has info on this, then love to hear it. Thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:52 pm
Off to Goldy on my own!!!

sreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to allsreeby is a name known to all

Originally Posted by draper5
Good question. We are off to Oz in July/Aug and were wondering the same thing.
Wasn't sure that the UK sim would work over there and were thinking we'd have to get a cheap sim in Oz. If anyone else has info on this, then love to hear it. Thanks.
sure its the same took my mobile on hols to the phillipines,didnt have a problem texting back to u.k.just have to put +44 first
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Hi all,

if so how?

Rich
Hi Rich.

It is possible to Txt back to the U.K, depends on the phone though, most of the newer models are global, some of the older models 1-3 years are Tri Band which means they work most places globally. Oz shouldn't be a problem.

If she is pay as you go or contract she should contact the provider, T-Mobile, Orange etc as they may need her to enter a roaming code into the phone for it to pick up Oz networks.

Hope this helps.

Ivan
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Hi Rich.

It is possible to Txt back to the U.K, depends on the phone though, most of the newer models are global, some of the older models 1-3 years are Tri Band which means they work most places globally. Oz shouldn't be a problem.

If she is pay as you go or contract she should contact the provider, T-Mobile, Orange etc as they may need her to enter a roaming code into the phone for it to pick up Oz networks.

Hope this helps.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan, so she needs a tri-band phone for starters, i believe she has one of the very rare house brick models not made anymore.

cheers
Rich
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:48 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ivan, so she needs a tri-band phone for starters, i believe she has one of the very rare house brick models not made anymore.

cheers
Rich

Yeah rich as I understand it her phone would need to be tri band!

Jackie
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW

Jackie
Thanks Jackie, i'll see if i can get her a deal at the reclaimed brick yard and get her a new one.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW

Jackie
Tri-band is for the states and some other countries but Aus is on the same as UK which is Dual band so all Uk mobiles will work although it will be quite costly ( I seem to remeber £0.50 per txt )

Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jackie, i'll see if i can get her a deal at the reclaimed brick yard and get her a new one.
Absolutely. A new phone, and my advice would be to check that all the numbers have +44 entered in front (without the 0 aswell) before she goes. Experience with people who are not used to using mobiles is that they don't understand why the thing won't work, and explaining it when she's half way round the world is going to be too hard!

Re: the aussie sims, for a short holiday it may not be worth it. Do the research on the web closer to the time though - sometimes you can buy a sim for $20 with $20 credit on it, for example, which may work out cheaper depending how often she intends to text or call. Remember also that when roaming you get charged for incoming calls! Plus, to get a SIM in Australia, you need to be able to give an Aussie address. I'm not sure if a hotel counts- we've had to use our friends addresses on trips in the past.

Definetely check with service provider before leaving, and set the PIN on the voicemail. I've had problems in the past where i've thought I was set up for roaming and wasn't.

Finally, if you get a voicemail and dial the number from abroad to pick it up, it'll want a PIN, usually. Checking the setup with the service provider is worthwhile, as it'll be costly from abroad.

Good lord, that was a lot of typing! Hope it helps!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:21 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
Absolutely. A new phone, and my advice would be to check that all the numbers have +44 entered in front (without the 0 aswell) before she goes. Experience with people who are not used to using mobiles is that they don't understand why the thing won't work, and explaining it when she's half way round the world is going to be too hard!

Re: the aussie sims, for a short holiday it may not be worth it. Do the research on the web closer to the time though - sometimes you can buy a sim for $20 with $20 credit on it, for example, which may work out cheaper depending how often she intends to text or call. Remember also that when roaming you get charged for incoming calls! Plus, to get a SIM in Australia, you need to be able to give an Aussie address. I'm not sure if a hotel counts- we've had to use our friends addresses on trips in the past.

Definetely check with service provider before leaving, and set the PIN on the voicemail. I've had problems in the past where i've thought I was set up for roaming and wasn't.

Finally, if you get a voicemail and dial the number from abroad to pick it up, it'll want a PIN, usually. Checking the setup with the service provider is worthwhile, as it'll be costly from abroad.

Good lord, that was a lot of typing! Hope it helps!

Good advice that thribble, I got caught out too when I couldn't use my phone in New York! Rang service provider when I got back....they clicked a button and said, its activated now!!!!!! aggggh!

Tabby - sorry didn't realise that dual band works in Oz! thanks for the info.
Jackie