Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

an advice, please!

an advice, please!

Old Mar 4th 2003, 6:55 am
Just Joined

irina is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy an advice, please!

Can someone tell me if the date stamped on my ( future ) PR visa is connected somehow with the financial Australian year? ...
I thought I can enter Australia 1 year from medicals ( or police clearance, which is the first..)...but today I heard that I might be obliged to enter Australia until the late July..when is finished the financiar australian year...
so, if my PR visa is issued in May-June...it is possible to DIMA give me only 1 month to make a trip ( forever settle..) to Australia...?
Please let me know if there is any information about it on DIMA site ..? I am very anxious about that!

Many thanks!
irina
Old Mar 4th 2003, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe this is quite common. I had six weeks in which to validate my visa or lose it. I spoke to my immigration agent and he said there was no way around it and that some people who did not have time to take a holiday went to Oz for the day just to get the visa validated by being stamped within the time frame. You will get a letter from AH stating that you must enter Oz by a certain date and you MUST do that. Apparantly be careful when booking your flight that you don't miss out on one that gets you there even an hour after that date (obviously don't forget the time difference) as to be tardy will result in the loss of the visa.

Yeah - it was fairly expensive to take that unplanned holiday at that time but luckily as I am a college lecturer I was able to take four weeks hols. So, in answer to your question - as far as I am aware there is no way around it. I suppose you could look on it as making sure you are absolutely positive that you are going to go as when you have the visa in your hands you look at Oz through different eyes - as a place to live/settle, as opposed to a holiday destination.

Old Mar 4th 2003, 10:39 am
JSK
Just Joined

JSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: an advice, please!

Originally posted by irina
Can someone tell me if the date stamped on my ( future ) PR visa is connected somehow with the financial Australian year? ...
I thought I can enter Australia 1 year from medicals ( or police clearance, which is the first..)...but today I heard that I might be obliged to enter Australia until the late July..when is finished the financiar australian year...
so, if my PR visa is issued in May-June...it is possible to DIMA give me only 1 month to make a trip ( forever settle..) to Australia...?
Please let me know if there is any information about it on DIMA site ..? I am very anxious about that!

Many thanks!
irina
I had my medicals on 25/10/02 and according to my PR visa i must enter till 23/10/03.
So it is 1 year...
J
Old Mar 4th 2003, 10:41 am
Just Joined

irina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, grubelice and JSK!

Good luck to everybody!
irina