Advice on Perth

Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future
Default Advice on Perth

This is the first time i have written anything on here and I am after a little advice if anyone can help. I am moving to WA in May with hubby's work and his job is close to Melville, i believe! I have had a look and that seems to be close to Freemantle but I do not know anything about that side of the river. Is there anyone out there that can tell me a little about that area (freemantle - melville/applecross). I would like any advice on the suburbs around there and where are the beaches there? We have 2 young children and would like to be in a fairly central place but close enough to the beach and his work in Melville.

I hope there is someone out there that can enlighten me on these areas for living.

Thanks

Antoinette
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Perth

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
This is the first time i have written anything on here and I am after a little advice if anyone can help. I am moving to WA in May with hubby's work and his job is close to Melville, i believe! I have had a look and that seems to be close to Freemantle but I do not know anything about that side of the river. Is there anyone out there that can tell me a little about that area (freemantle - melville/applecross). I would like any advice on the suburbs around there and where are the beaches there? We have 2 young children and would like to be in a fairly central place but close enough to the beach and his work in Melville.

I hope there is someone out there that can enlighten me on these areas for living.

Thanks

Antoinette
Have you seen www.expatsinwa.tk? Full of people there or heading that way.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marco121068

Thanks, I will have a look there now. It will be nice to get some info as we have never set foot in Australia before, slightly scarey :scared:
Old Dec 30th 2005, 1:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The only advice I can give you on Perth is to get your ass over here. It's *****ing brilliant. The best place in Australia.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The only advice I can give you on Perth is to get your ass over here. It's *****ing brilliant. The best place in Australia.
How long have you been there? Where about in WA are you? We have just told all our family and now it seems so real and so scarey. 5 months will fly by and it is scarey but exciting at the same time. Is it as good and relaxed as they say it is. Did you find it easy to settle?

Antoinette
Old Dec 30th 2005, 2:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been there? Where about in WA are you? We have just told all our family and now it seems so real and so scarey. 5 months will fly by and it is scarey but exciting at the same time. Is it as good and relaxed as they say it is. Did you find it easy to settle?

Antoinette
I've been here nearly 3 months now. We are in Inglewood, which is just north of the city but we are moving to Kalamunda (bought a house) which is about 30 minutes east of the city up in the hills. I have settled in here with virtually no problems. Most people here are really helpful & friendly. The only problems I've had have been with estate agents (tossers). I know we are in a honeymoon period & hard times are probably ahead but so far so good.

Good luck with the move. You won't regret it.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Thanks

Antoinette
Hi Guys

We are heading to Perth in about 6 months time (got visas today as it happens!!!)
A site we found helpful was www.movetoperth.com
They have some excellent suburb profiles.......
Good luck with it all!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Hi Guys

We are heading to Perth in about 6 months time (got visas today as it happens!!!)
Good luck with it all!

enough with the bragging.........
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys

Good luck with it all!
Congratulations on getting your visa, what a christmas and new year you will have
Where in Perth are you going? Have you been before? We can't wait but just hoping it is easy to settle as we do not know anyone there.

Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:39 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Good luck with it all!
Congrats on the visa
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marco121068

Tried that site but nothing happened...are you sure it is right?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:45 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Antoinette

Nothing around that area is really close to beaches but not too far aswell. Also very close to the river which can be very nice if not better at times.

All depends how much money you will want to spend on buying or renting a house to which suburb may be more suitable for you.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Tried that site but nothing happened...are you sure it is right?

I've been trying for weeks to get on it but nothing's there.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've been here nearly 3 months now. We are in Inglewood, which is just north of the city but we are moving to Kalamunda (bought a house) which is about 30 minutes east of the city up in the hills. I have settled in here with virtually no problems. Most people here are really helpful & friendly. The only problems I've had have been with estate agents (tossers). I know we are in a honeymoon period & hard times are probably ahead but so far so good.

Good luck with the move. You won't regret it.
I work at Swan District hospital and live fairly near there if you would like to meet up after you've settled in pm me and I'll give you my number.
I haven't been up to the hills yet but the girls at work say it's beautiful, must go one day.
Nicola.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
I can help a little - we spent a long time looking in the areas you are interested in but then work took us north of the river.
It's a great area with some fabulous suburbs. It is mainly orientated towards the river as the sea beaches south of the river don't really begin until you get south of Fremantle - that said you can access Port and Leighton beach (just NOR) quite easily (and these are two of our favourites beaches).

Applecross is probably the most upmarket with great riverside properties. Attadale is also very nice and marginally closer to Fremantle - rentals are very affordable in Attadale - but cheaper properties can be rundown. It is also close to Point Walter which is a great riverside recreational spot (cafe/restaurant/park for kids/BBQ spots/swimming area). Similar in location (but further back from the river and closer again to Fremantle) is Bicton which we also considered- again a nice area. Ardross is another nice area heading East. Palmyra I was advised to avoid - don't know why but didn't see anything I liked there anyhow.

East Fremantle is also very nice and more affordable and you are moving into the more characteristic Fremantle area. Going east and south from Applecross, Mount Pleasant is very nice with good proximity to the river. It is also close (as is Applecross) to Canning Bridge which is a great eating area - lots of decent restaurants. South of Mount Pleasant is Booragoon which I really liked because it seemed better value for money. Also in Booragoon is Garden City shopping mall - the biggest in Perth I gather - but this has no real interest for me (apart from the excellent food court inside).
One area which can get overlooked is Winthrop (and to a lesser extent Murdoch). I really liked this area. Still only 20 mins from Fremantle (maybe less), but close to the freeway so only 10 minutes into the CBD. Also the plots in Winthrop are big and haven't been subdivided unlike those in Mount Pleasant and some other areas (be careful with subdivided plots. One of the things which we moved to Perth for was space. Some suburbs have by-laws which allow owners (and builders) to divide housing plots into two and essentially build another house in the back garden (duplex). Subdivisions can happen many times - e.g. you can have a triplex (3 houses on one plot) The most I've seen is 12!! Essentially you are living in a city apartment. If you like space or have kids, duplex/triplex living can be a nightmare.)
I also heard from a local that Winthrop was built before housing standards started to decline (and builders began installing plastic toilets etc) - cannot substantiate this myself but he has lived in the area for 40 years!!

The other thing to remember is that you can do all the reserach in the world but you can only live in the suburb you like if there is a property available! Check out www.realestate.com.au to see what availability is like.
Good luck.