Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

The Welsh Wizard & co is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Trying to get my mum out with me to Perth, the prices for a visa are crazy and the waiting periods are daft.Although she meets criteria needed.
anyone else done aged parent or contributary parent visa for their folks.
anyone found any "loop" holes, any help appreciated......... :scared:

thanks guys LORI
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Originally Posted by The Welsh Wizard & co
Trying to get my mum out with me to Perth, the prices for a visa are crazy and the waiting periods are daft.Although she meets criteria needed.

thanks guys LORI
Is a retirement visa an option?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys LORI
Lori

If she meets the criteria a parent contributory visa only takes 6 months or so.

Good luck

G
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:49 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lori,

Just completed the contributory parent process for my parents, they've just touched down in Singapore and im off to Perth Int Airport to pick them up at 2:30 this afternoon! Im sure they'll be proudly displaying there new contributory parent visa! (I know I would be if i'd of paid that amount for them ) As Grayling said it takes about 6 months to go through, all pretty straight forward. send me a PM if you have specific questions about the process, I'll try and help if I can. Rgds Steve.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys LORI
There are no loopholes. For 99% of (parent) cases, contributory parent visa is the realistic migration option, and usually it's either that or stay at home.

Anyone who can meet the financial criteria for a retirement visa should be able to afford a contributory parent one, if they meet the balance of family.

Jeremy
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:44 am
Just Joined

The Welsh Wizard & co is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Many thanks Steve for offer of help......I may take you up on it soon. Hope all goes well for your folks.
Originally Posted by steve99
Hi Lori,

Just completed the contributory parent process for my parents, they've just touched down in Singapore and im off to Perth Int Airport to pick them up at 2:30 this afternoon! Im sure they'll be proudly displaying there new contributory parent visa! (I know I would be if i'd of paid that amount for them ) As Grayling said it takes about 6 months to go through, all pretty straight forward. send me a PM if you have specific questions about the process, I'll try and help if I can. Rgds Steve.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:37 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Advice On Parent Visas !!!

Originally Posted by steve99
Hi Lori,

undefined

Hi
I have just joined as we are about to start the application process for a contributory parent visa. We are finding it difficult to get information on what the 2nd Vac payment covers. The bond and assurance of support surely go a long way to cover health costs. Anyone have any info please!
D
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmb357
undefined

Hi
I have just joined as we are about to start the application process for a contributory parent visa. We are finding it difficult to get information on what the 2nd Vac payment covers. The bond and assurance of support surely go a long way to cover health costs. Anyone have any info please!
D
The bond and assurance of support are *nothing* to do with health costs. They are to protect the Australian taxpayer against recoverable welfare payments in the first 10 years.

The 2nd VAC should be viewed as a 'one-off' non-refundable payment to cover future health costs. Actual health costs may be more or less, but the Australian government will not recover these from the applicant or the bond.

Basically it's to 'buy-in' to the Medicare system, considering that they will statistically be likely to use it later on, but unlike most Australians won't have been working in Australia (and paying taxes) previously.

Jeremy
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:53 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
The bond and assurance of support are *nothing* to do with health costs. They are to protect the Australian taxpayer against recoverable welfare payments in the first 10 years.

The 2nd VAC should be viewed as a 'one-off' non-refundable payment to cover future health costs. Actual health costs may be more or less, but the Australian government will not recover these from the applicant or the bond.

Basically it's to 'buy-in' to the Medicare system, considering that they will statistically be likely to use it later on, but unlike most Australians won't have been working in Australia (and paying taxes) previously.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy
Thanks for your reply, so does that mean have the same benefits as an Australian citizen?
D
Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by dmb357
Hi Jeremy
Thanks for your reply, so does that mean have the same benefits as an Australian citizen?
D
Yes - a (permanent) contributory parent visa holder is treated like any other permanent resident.

Full rights to work, study or live in Australia and entitlement to Medicare.

However, there is usually a 2 year wait for welfare (like any other migrant) and any recoverable welfare payments in the first *10* years are recovered from the assurer. This applies even if the person becomes an Australian citizen.

There are some extra benefits that only Australian citizens can access compared to permanent residents, but (permanent) contributory parent visa holders are entitled to apply for Australian citizenship after meeting normal residence requirements.

In applying for any welfare benefit, residence and means tests will likely apply just as they would for anyone else.

Jeremy
Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Advice On Parent Visas !!!

thanks guys LORI

Hi lori
We are in the same position, we are hoping to be in Perth in about 5 months time, but someone told us we had to be in the country for 2 years before my parents could start the process. My dad is 61 and still working as a joiner, my mum is 62 and retired. I havent really looked into that too much i thought it would be better for us to go first, but hopefully get some advice from this thread. The thought of only seeing my mum for hols for 2years i cant think about it.
keep me posted
Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by caroledouglas
Hi lori
We are in the same position, we are hoping to be in Perth in about 5 months time, but someone told us we had to be in the country for 2 years before my parents could start the process. My dad is 61 and still working as a joiner, my mum is 62 and retired. I havent really looked into that too much i thought it would be better for us to go first, but hopefully get some advice from this thread. The thought of only seeing my mum for hols for 2years i cant think about it.
keep me posted

You do have to be in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor for this visa. And you need to meet the requirements to give an Assurance of Support. The 'balance of family' test is critical for parents.

With respect, don't rely on what you're 'told' - make a point of verifying information, there's plenty to read about parent visas on the DIMIA website.

Jeremy