Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed urgently!!! What do we do?

Advice needed urgently!!! What do we do?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Default Advice needed urgently!!! What do we do?

Hi
Me and my family are emigrating this year to oz, hopefully in next couple of months, just waiting for visa to come through.

Our dilemma we have is that we would very much like to go to the Gold Coast area, pacific pines way to be more exact. But my OH is a builder (brickie) and have been informed that theres no work there AT ALL?

So what do we do? We been looking at Adelaide as there seems some hope of finding work, as my head telling me Adelaide but my heart saying Gold Coast.

We have 3 girls 12, 10 and 1, so have them to consider too.

If anyone can give me any advice on the work in both areas, please do so.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:43 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed urgently!!! What do we do?

Originally Posted by sutty77
So what do we do?
Hi, the answer is quite simple. Wait. Why not just come out here in 1 yr or 3yrs, when the timing is more favourable. That's what I'd do anyway.

Alternatively - you could just come over now, knowing that there is a high probability that your husband won't be bringing in any money.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

I dont usually give advice to complete strangers, however I will say that if a friend or relative asked me whether they should emigrate now in the current climate I would say that in my opinion it is not a good time. Of course there are circumstances that make each persons decisions different, but if I had a fairly secure job at this moment I would be staying put. By secure I mean if you feel with an educated guess that your company will stay operating even on a reduced basis and that you/hubby are likely to be one of the least likely to be laid off. I would not move out here at the moment unless at least one of the following was true;

1. You are loaded and can survive for at least six months on your savings and that not working will not significantly impact on your relationship.

2. You will be able to find work more easily than your husband if he is unable to and that your income will comfortably support the family.

3. You have both or major breadwinner has already been laid off in UK and is struggling to find work, in which case you really have nothing to lose, except for your savings which again should be enough to survive without work for a while.

4. You will be supported financially by relatives or friends already here.

I am a brickie and things are definitely slowing down here. I do not live in either the Gold Coast or Adelaide(live in Sydney)but things will get worse across the whole of OZ and I reckon in the next six months things will be very bleak here. I am sorry to sound so negative but this is just my inside opinion. The decision is of course entirely yours and I wish you all the best I am so glad I don't face this dilemna at this time.

I know you are aware of the following thread because I just noticed you had replied to it but honestly this is one of the best threads on here and I feel the OP has just about got the current climate spot on . Good luck

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=brickies
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by easty1976
I dont usually give advice to complete strangers, however I will say that if a friend or relative asked me whether they should emigrate now in the current climate I would say that in my opinion it is not a good time. Of course there are circumstances that make each persons decisions different, but if I had a fairly secure job at this moment I would be staying put. By secure I mean if you feel with an educated guess that your company will stay operating even on a reduced basis and that you/hubby are likely to be one of the least likely to be laid off. I would not move out here at the moment unless at least one of the following was true;

1. You are loaded and can survive for at least six months on your savings and that not working will not significantly impact on your relationship.

2. You will be able to find work more easily than your husband if he is unable to and that your income will comfortably support the family.

3. You have both or major breadwinner has already been laid off in UK and is struggling to find work, in which case you really have nothing to lose, except for your savings which again should be enough to survive without work for a while.

4. You will be supported financially by relatives or friends already here.

I am a brickie and things are definitely slowing down here. I do not live in either the Gold Coast or Adelaide(live in Sydney)but things will get worse across the whole of OZ and I reckon in the next six months things will be very bleak here. I am sorry to sound so negative but this is just my inside opinion. The decision is of course entirely yours and I wish you all the best I am so glad I don't face this dilemna at this time.

I know you are aware of the following thread because I just noticed you had replied to it but honestly this is one of the best threads on here and I feel the OP has just about got the current climate spot on . Good luck

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=brickies
Ditto!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

I understand the post,ie tell brickies there isnt no work,so when work does come in they have a better chance of getting it instead of a new pommie.

Dont take that the wrong way,but i do understand why people are doing tis.
But all over the world,there are people out of work,but at the same time there is work needing to be done every where in the world.

We persoanlly wont be moving to melbourne until wife has got a job fixed "before" we go,then i (plasterer) will email as many people about gaining some work,be it near the bottom of the ladder to begin with.

Maybe its time for people to have a career change?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I understand the post,ie tell brickies there isnt no work,so when work does come in they have a better chance of getting it instead of a new pommie.

Dont take that the wrong way,but i do understand why people are doing tis.
But all over the world,there are people out of work,but at the same time there is work needing to be done every where in the world.

We persoanlly wont be moving to melbourne until wife has got a job fixed "before" we go,then i (plasterer) will email as many people about gaining some work,be it near the bottom of the ladder to begin with.

Maybe its time for people to have a career change?
Don't judge everybody by your own standards mate. some people including bricklayers write posts to help others. telling people work is tight at the moment and if you come over make sure you have a secure job or plenty of back up money is sound advice.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

So you did take it the wrong way

While im here then,why not try a career change then?

I know whats it like to be sat at home waiting for the phone to ring,and its the pits!!!

I will come to aus with the view that im only 36 and have hopefully 30 years left in my working life,that double my working life now nearly.
So a career change for a few peeps wouldnt be a bad idea
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
So you did take it the wrong way

While im here then,why not try a career change then?

I know whats it like to be sat at home waiting for the phone to ring,and its the pits!!!

I will come to aus with the view that im only 36 and have hopefully 30 years left in my working life,that double my working life now nearly.
So a career change for a few peeps wouldnt be a bad idea
Saying a career change would be good is great, but if people can't even get a job in a career they have 20 years experience in how are they supposed to get one in a field they have no experience in? Certainly people with experience will get jobs over someone new to the country with none.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:59 am
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

Im not in the buiding game but my experience of getting work was similar to what others have found. It took a lot longer than the hype told me it would, but i got one in the end. I also agree with the Aussies will get the jobs first statement (even though many of them arent a patch on some of ours). I went with an agency to get work and they told me that many places do take Aussies before migrants as the migrants do not have experience of the Australia culture etc.
I also think a good CV with a lot of trumpet blowing works. When i first came i had my CV which was written as UK businesses like, with short sharp statements etc. But here at one interview the guy showed me exactly what they was looking for in a CV and mine he thought didnt reflect what i had to offer. So i rewrote it as per his recommendations and also using Aussie terminology and not long after i got my job.
Also in my opinion and talking to people around Aus, there is far more development and thus building work planned in QLD than SA, so when the building work kicks in again there will be far more up here. Other posters might disagree here of course. I work for a company that has invested heavily in the fact there is so much development of QLD going on.
But as hard as it is to take, maybe the advice of holding off on coming over is maybe the best advice to listen to. Its not a lot of fun being over here and no money coming in, then having to go back again.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Again i understand where you are coming from dorothy but, for example
I have been a plasterer for 14 years,still wet behind the ears i know
Surely australia does trainne work,as in start from the bottom on low paid and go to college or the like?
Hardly any money but,after a few years when you have completed course,you have another string to your bow?

Say i cant get a job in that feild,then i will have to completely retrain in another field,say aircon maintaince/office work etc etc
And with that you start at the very bottom of the ladder and go relearn a trade,tough call i know but what else is there to do?

Last edited by JCSUPERMOTO; Feb 1st 2009 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

The major point for me is that things will get worse in the short term. When that happens the little bit of work that is around will be very difficult to get; especially for us Pommies; like it or not people will look out for their own(as Steve has experienced). Also the employers will have the pick of a number of tradies who have years of experience here in Australia and the BIG thing is that most of the work will be filled by the people who have the most contacts here. Not saying it would be any different back in UK but just saying it how it is, its difficult to find work here in the beginning even in a booming economy, sometimes you get a job just because employers are so desperate(obviously you then prove yourself), I think it will only get harder for newbies here. I personally don't care how many pommie brickies come out here; infact the more the merrier for me personally, but I think leaving a job of any kind for a country where you have no local experience at this time is a big big risk.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Willerby_brisbane
Im not in the buiding game but my experience of getting work was similar to what others have found. It took a lot longer than the hype told me it would, but i got one in the end. I also agree with the Aussies will get the jobs first statement (even though many of them arent a patch on some of ours). I went with an agency to get work and they told me that many places do take Aussies before migrants as the migrants do not have experience of the Australia culture etc.
I also think a good CV with a lot of trumpet blowing works. When i first came i had my CV which was written as UK businesses like, with short sharp statements etc. But here at one interview the guy showed me exactly what they was looking for in a CV and mine he thought didnt reflect what i had to offer. So i rewrote it as per his recommendations and also using Aussie terminology and not long after i got my job.
Also in my opinion and talking to people around Aus, there is far more development and thus building work planned in QLD than SA, so when the building work kicks in again there will be far more up here. Other posters might disagree here of course. I work for a company that has invested heavily in the fact there is so much development of QLD going on.
But as hard as it is to take, maybe the advice of holding off on coming over is maybe the best advice to listen to. Its not a lot of fun being over here and no money coming in, then having to go back again.
Hi
Can i ask from arriving in queensland, how long did it take you to get a job?
Thanks, Mandy
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi
Can i ask from arriving in queensland, how long did it take you to get a job?
Thanks, Mandy
How quickly others got jobs a few months ago is really irrelevant at this point in time. Things have slowed down here tremendously over the past few months even to the point of mines in WA closing. Besides, everyone's circumstance is different.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:08 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

I don't want to say it but i will. WAIT...if you can.
We have been on the sunshine coast for 6months, we have been looking at work in Brissie, GC AND SC...nothing OH is a plumber, it is really hard at the moment, i think it is the recession, any other time i don't think it would be the same.
We may have to go home if nothing comes up in the next few months.....our dream will be over.
If you still have work in the UK stay there until it dries up.
Sorry i don't have any positive info for you
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by betsyboob
I don't want to say it but i will. WAIT...if you can.
We have been on the sunshine coast for 6months, we have been looking at work in Brissie, GC AND SC...nothing OH is a plumber, it is really hard at the moment, i think it is the recession, any other time i don't think it would be the same.
We may have to go home if nothing comes up in the next few months.....our dream will be over.
If you still have work in the UK stay there until it dries up.
Sorry i don't have any positive info for you
Thanks for advice.
My hubby work has dropped to 4 day week here in uk and looks set to drop again. As we have spent a fortune on getting visa, we have decided to just go for it. Will have a few funds from sale of house, so if need be will have to use them. Just wanted to know which areas are worst effected!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.