Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed please

Advice needed please

Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future
Default Advice needed please

Hi All,

We (family of 5) have our visas (138), which we obtained early this year (April).

Up until very recently we were all geared up to moving down under as soon as we could, and the choice of our destination was Melbourne.

We went for our reccie and validation trip back in July (it feels so long ago!!), we stayed with relies in a not so nice part of Melbourne then stayed with friends in Berwick.

We looked at loads of homes and land sales whilst in Berwick, and fancied the look of The Chase (were our friends are having their homes built), we were amazed at what our money would get us or should I say build, and the idea of owning a home with no mortgage!! what more could anyone ask for.

However since being back in blighty and back into our normal lifestyle, work, home, cook clean, look after kids and do the odd things on weekends (sound familiar!!) we have thought more and more about emigrating.

Yes there is still a part of us that wants to go, but leaving family and friends is harder than first thought of, putting all that aside, the other half and I have been thinking more about living near a beach somewhere, but which will not involve me spending much time travelling to and from work (IT Manager) as what to spend more quality time with family.

We liked the look of Melbourne when there, but didn't get the chance to travel anywhere else, we are now thinking about Brisbane rather than Melbourne, mainly as it is a warmer climate and loads of beaches.

So all here are my questions, to those who have been and stayed in both parts, which appeals to you the most and why?

And if we chose Brisbane, where would be a nice area which has good schools and close to the beach (sorry ocean).

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks

H
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice needed please

Originally Posted by Haktahsin
Hi All,

We (family of 5) have our visas (138), which we obtained early this year (April).

Up until very recently we were all geared up to moving down under as soon as we could, and the choice of our destination was Melbourne.

We went for our reccie and validation trip back in July (it feels so long ago!!), we stayed with relies in a not so nice part of Melbourne then stayed with friends in Berwick.

We looked at loads of homes and land sales whilst in Berwick, and fancied the look of The Chase (were our friends are having their homes built), we were amazed at what our money would get us or should I say build, and the idea of owning a home with no mortgage!! what more could anyone ask for.

However since being back in blighty and back into our normal lifestyle, work, home, cook clean, look after kids and do the odd things on weekends (sound familiar!!) we have thought more and more about emigrating.

Yes there is still a part of us that wants to go, but leaving family and friends is harder than first thought of, putting all that aside, the other half and I have been thinking more about living near a beach somewhere, but which will not involve me spending much time travelling to and from work (IT Manager) as what to spend more quality time with family.

We liked the look of Melbourne when there, but didn't get the chance to travel anywhere else, we are now thinking about Brisbane rather than Melbourne, mainly as it is a warmer climate and loads of beaches.

So all here are my questions, to those who have been and stayed in both parts, which appeals to you the most and why?

And if we chose Brisbane, where would be a nice area which has good schools and close to the beach (sorry ocean).

Thanks

H
I do not live in Brisbane but have visited and I think it is a bit of a hike fom the ocean beach to the city. I work in IT and live in Bayside in Melbourne, near the water (bay not ocean) and 25 mins into the city.

Cheers

Paul
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Thanks

H
we did a reccie in may we flew into melbourne first as we liked what we had heard of it but we only stayed there for 4 days we didnt really like it that much then we went upto brisbane which we loved if you want to be near the city and near the beach then the area i would look at would be around logans suburbs
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gina and danny
we did a reccie in may we flew into melbourne first as we liked what we had heard of it but we only stayed there for 4 days we didnt really like it that much then we went upto brisbane which we loved if you want to be near the city and near the beach then the area i would look at would be around logans suburbs

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, any particular area of Logan suburbs???

Listed on Real Estate, there are a few areas for Logan.

Cheers

H
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, any particular area of Logan suburbs???

Listed on Real Estate, there are a few areas for Logan.

Cheers

H

we really like the look of cornubia, daist hill, and shailer park, they all seemed like good areas for families and friends of ours live in shailer park and they just love it,
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me that maybe it isnt the fact you dont want to go to aus maybe more the fact you wernt struck on melbourne.
Each to their own but my choice is perth with brisbane a very close second i liked melbourne couldnt live there, dont no why! you just get a gut feeling
I lived and worked for 3 months in perth melbourne and brisbane, so i could get a good feel for each ot the places we were lucky to do this. Rented the house out, got work visa as we were under 30 and dont have any major commitments or kids to worry about. So this helped make our decision where to live a lot easier
I know everybody would love to try before they buy but somtimes there are outside influences that dont allow people to do this, so i think we are lucky in that sense
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nessyp
Sounds to me that maybe it isnt the fact you dont want to go to aus maybe more the fact you wernt struck on melbourne.
Each to their own but my choice is perth with brisbane a very close second i liked melbourne couldnt live there, dont no why! you just get a gut feeling
I lived and worked for 3 months in perth melbourne and brisbane, so i could get a good feel for each ot the places we were lucky to do this. Rented the house out, got work visa as we were under 30 and dont have any major commitments or kids to worry about. So this helped make our decision where to live a lot easier
I know everybody would love to try before they buy but somtimes there are outside influences that dont allow people to do this, so i think we are lucky in that sense

Cheers, but I must add we loved Melbourne, and so did the kids, but it was more of a holiday than a living experience, yes we know we will never know the living feeling until we have lived there.

It's just that we feel we would like to live near the beach, bay or Ocean, being Londoner's we feel it time to move away from the rat race, and not just for our sakes but more so for the kids.

I know we cannot compare, but we just came back from a long weekend in the Isle of Wight, the kids loved walking along the sandy beach, splashing around, and looking in the rock pools, time for a change, but to where is the big question!!!

EDIT, forgot to add, the reason why we are apprehensive about emigrating, is just after we lodged our application, we found out my father was diagnosed as having brain tumour (last august), which sadly he lost his battle against in July, this is also adding to our mixed feelings, especialy leaving my mother behind..

Last edited by Haktahsin; Aug 31st 2007 at 12:24 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. Maybe somtimes you have to try these things otherwise you can regret at least trying. Try and remember the reasons why you first wanted to go. At the end of the day its not for everyone and the most important thing is that you and your family are happy wherever and whatever you do good luck
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nessyp
Hi Nessyp
But I see that your living i spain now and not Oz? Why is this, and where abouts in spain do you live?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im living in spain whilst my 136 arrives. Just waiting on co at the moment, hoping to be out there by november. Im living in spain as my parents live out here (murcia) and when we finished travelling last year we went back to uk in jan and lasted 2 weeks with the weather and decided to move here until we got visa for oz so there we go