Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on this one.

Advice needed on this one.

Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:11 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice needed on this one.

Ok, heres the story so far :

August 2005 : While chatting with the brother in law, I come to the idea that moving to OZ might be a good idea. The wife agrees and we start looking into things.

October 2005 : start the procedure with a migration agent for a 163 business visa application. I would prefer a 136, but although I am a managing director of the company I work at, I dont have the qualifications or experience required to get me the points required.

Feb 2006 : fly out to Oz to look at businesses, have a couple of meetings with people, and get the feel of Australia (never been before) While out there I get a job offer. Decide to stop the 163 application, and apply for a 457.

My own business can come at a later date.

Now the problem.

Its 9 months later, and my new employer still hasn't even filled in the first set of forms required because he is always too busy (2 hours work approx)
I have totally lost interest in my work here in Holland, and I have been unable to get on with my life because we expected to get the visa quite quickly.

I have so far spent over 7k on migration bureau's, flights, police checks etc ect etc. I have spent hours researching housing, schools, etc etc and of course spent months on BE getting the required info for living in Oz.

I dont want to give up on my dream, but I am beginning to lose faith.

Last night the wife had had a couple of drinks, and suggested, f*** it, why dont we just sell up and go, and move out there, and when you are out there, you will get work anyway, and if not, we can always move back after 6 months but at least we tried !

Is this a ridiculous idea ? or is it feasable ?

I have an application for a 457 which I paid for myself, which is unused, so an employer will not have the extra cost of sponsoring, and my trade (22 years experience in the cut flower wholesale/export trade is interesting to a number of companies in Oz)

Anybody got any good advice on my dilemma ? I dont want to give up until I have looked at all the options.

Paul.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on this one.

Try finding another employer and go on your 457 visa. Then if you like it in Oz apply for your 163 visa.

Originally Posted by furkew

August 2005 : While chatting with the brother in law, I come to the idea that moving to OZ might be a good idea. The wife agrees and we start looking into things.

October 2005 : start the procedure with a migration agent for a 163 business visa application. I would prefer a 136, but although I am a managing director of the company I work at, I dont have the qualifications or experience required to get me the points required.

Feb 2006 : fly out to Oz to look at businesses, have a couple of meetings with people, and get the feel of Australia (never been before) While out there I get a job offer. Decide to stop the 163 application, and apply for a 457.

Now the problem.

Its 9 months later, and my new employer still hasn't even filled in the first set of forms required because he is always too busy (2 hours work approx)
I have totally lost interest in my work here in Holland, and I have been unable to get on with my life because we expected to get the visa quite quickly.

I have so far spent over 7k on migration bureau's, flights, police checks etc ect etc. I have spent hours researching housing, schools, etc etc and of course spent months on BE getting the required info for living in Oz.

Last night the wife had had a couple of drinks, and suggested, f*** it, why dont we just sell up and go, and move out there, and when you are out there, you will get work anyway, and if not, we can always move back after 6 months but at least we tried !

I have an application for a 457 which I paid for myself, which is unused, so an employer will not have the extra cost of sponsoring, and my trade (22 years experience in the cut flower wholesale/export trade is interesting to a number of companies in Oz)

Anybody got any good advice on my dilemma ? I dont want to give up until I have looked at all the options.

Paul.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:45 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Now the problem.

Paul.
I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I just wanted to send you some positive thoughts as you need/deserve them. As I need to spread more (K-wise ) I couldn't send you some karma.

Miranda xx
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:36 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Now the problem.

Paul.
RIGHT...! Pay attention...!

I sold my business in December 2004, lots of reasons not least of which was both my Father and Mother had terminal diagnosis at the time... Saw them both out during 2005 - very moving, if there's one thing you can do for your parents at this time, BE THERE.

Had a couple of things business wise going on that didn't happen. My wife suggested going to Oz and seeing how we get on... She had been before on a WHV and had always wanted to return, I had never been...

I looked into it and from start to flight was about 8 weeks... We didn't have a house to sell fortunately (long story), so just packed up the contents into storage, put the dogs into kennels and jumped on a plane... I had got a 1 year Tourist Visa for us both and engaged an agent, George Lombard of this 'ere parish, and Virgin flew us out on our Air Miles Upper Class all the way...

Arrived in Sydney to house sit for a relative for a month (fluke!), bought a car, spent 6 weeks travelling up to Cape Tribulation and back, got sponsorship from NSW for a 164 visa (GL's advice...) and applied for the main visa after flitting over to Auckland for a couple of days... Found a business broker who acts for the buyer, not the vendor, and engaged his services; Business Buying so far has 3 possibilities within the criteria that was set... (and in less than 2 weeks of going live) I have no doubt that there will be others as well and that one of these will lead to a deal. We have rented a house at Mona Vale on the Northern Beaches, the dogs arrived into Eastern Creek quarantine last Monday and our 40' container is due into Sydney on 2nd December...

So, you think your wife's crazy...? Well, probably... Like mine... But what the hell... I don't regret anything and would say to you that you're only here once...

Have a go mate...
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rodders39

I sold my business in December 2004, lots of reasons not least of which was both my Father and Mother had terminal diagnosis at the time... Saw them both out during 2005 - very moving, if there's one thing you can do for your parents at this time, BE THERE.

Had a couple of things business wise going on that didn't happen. My wife suggested going to Oz and seeing how we get on... She had been before on a WHV and had always wanted to return, I had never been...

I looked into it and from start to flight was about 8 weeks... We didn't have a house to sell fortunately (long story), so just packed up the contents into storage, put the dogs into kennels and jumped on a plane... I had got a 1 year Tourist Visa for us both and engaged an agent, George Lombard of this 'ere parish, and Virgin flew us out on our Air Miles Upper Class all the way...

Arrived in Sydney to house sit for a relative for a month (fluke!), bought a car, spent 6 weeks travelling up to Cape Tribulation and back, got sponsorship from NSW for a 164 visa (GL's advice...) and applied for the main visa after flitting over to Auckland for a couple of days... Found a business broker who acts for the buyer, not the vendor, and engaged his services; Business Buying so far has 3 possibilities within the criteria that was set... (and in less than 2 weeks of going live) I have no doubt that there will be others as well and that one of these will lead to a deal. We have rented a house at Mona Vale on the Northern Beaches, the dogs arrived into Eastern Creek quarantine last Monday and our 40' container is due into Sydney on 2nd December...

So, you think your wife's crazy...? Well, probably... Like mine... But what the hell... I don't regret anything and would say to you that you're only here once...

Have a go mate...

What a fantastic attitude.....................Live and let live!!!

Good on ya...................hope it all works out
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

Howdy,

you have got me intrigued so I thought I'd give my opinion...

I moved out here with the Police to South Australia in March 05 - completely different circumstances you might think - HOWEVER!!

I am now a self-employed mortgage broker contracted to a company called Money Advisers in Adelaide. It is surprisingly easy to set up a business here, although 80% of all new businesses fold within the first 5 years - fact.

I think the most important thing you need to consider is which state you'll go to - forget NSW (Sydney), or Victoria (Melbourne) and possibly Queensland (Brisbane) - these are more established states that everyone wants to go to and the market is harder to break into, there are already 100 people doing what you want to do. Look at South Australia (Adelaide) or Perth maybe although it is very remote. The other great thing about Adelaide is that they are desperate for people to immigrate here and as such it is the only city in Australia that is eligible for the Regional Sponsored Migration scheme, the other states all have to be rural for this category - check it out on DIMIA's website.

I think selling up and moving here with nothing other than hope is very risky BUT if you are that determined then I think you should go for it, I have to be honest I think, certainly in Adelaide, that you will hav no problem staying once your here. You could always use your year to find an employer to sponsor you for example, or to set up a business. I don't offer commercial financial advice although I do work with people who could help you if you come here.

I do think you should forget the guy who was going to sponsor you, clearly he is simply not that interested in you working for him, let's be honest it's not that hard is it and do you really want to work for some-one with such a slack-arse attitude?

feel free to pm me if you have any more questions, certainly from a financial point of view, or about Adelaide.

Good luck...oh and if I haven't mentioned it, I LOVE Australia, I can't think of anywhere I would rather live and I would have done anything to get here so I feel your pain right now!

Callie xxx
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:48 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Try finding another employer and go on your 457 visa. Then if you like it in Oz apply for your 163 visa.
It not easy finding an employer over the internet without a visa in hand in the flowers.

I have been in contact with a few last year, and they all said the same, when you have a visa, come and see us.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:49 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by tum
I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I just wanted to send you some positive thoughts as you need/deserve them. As I need to spread more (K-wise ) I couldn't send you some karma.

Miranda xx
Thanks Miranda.

but dont worry, i'm still sticking with it.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It not easy finding an employer over the internet without a visa in hand in the flowers.

I have been in contact with a few last year, and they all said the same, when you have a visa, come and see us.
But not impossible. I have an interview on Tuesday for the first job I applied for, who are willing to sponsor me if I get it.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:59 am
Going for a ride

Have a go mate...
Thanks for the advice Rodders. I will definitely be in touch when I have spoken with the wife. She's sober now so I dont know if she feel the same today

I do have a question for you (or anybody else that can help) If I do come over, I have two boys aged 8 & 11. I assume I can put them into school, but does anybody know the costs involved if any.

Thanks also Callie, but the problem we face compared to you guys, is that you came over on a PR visa (I'm assuming) and went from there onwards, but it also does give me ideas.

Anyone else with ideas or experience in this matter, please pipe up.

thanks guys & gals

Paul.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:30 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice Rodders.
S'Ok...

We've no kids so don't know... However wouldn't surprise me if you have to pay until you have PR...
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:24 pm
Going for a ride

S'Ok...

We've no kids so don't know... However wouldn't surprise me if you have to pay until you have PR...
I thought I would bump this one in the hope that I might get some more advice.

Just sent an email to my agent asking about 457's & 163's while living in Oz, so who knows ?

Ive pm'd you BTW Rodders.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:55 pm
Timelord

I thought I would bump this one in the hope that I might get some more advice.

Just sent an email to my agent asking about 457's & 163's while living in Oz, so who knows ?

Ive pm'd you BTW Rodders.
Cool...

By the way, we received our request for medicals yesterday - we front loaded the Police Checks...

Seems awfully quick to me, we only lodged the application on 29th September...!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:10 pm
Going for a ride

Cool...

By the way, we received our request for medicals yesterday - we front loaded the Police Checks...

Seems awfully quick to me, we only lodged the application on 29th September...!
if you are on skype, I have pm'd my skype details, do you have time to talk ?

Paul
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Its 9 months later, and my new employer still hasn't even filled in the first set of forms required because he is always too busy .
We were in the same boat after a trip over and a job offer
Waited 12 months and then thought "stuff em" went on the yellow pages for New Zealand 2nd phone call got offered a job, 10 days latter I landed in Auckland.
Been here 3 years now, had a quick shufftie on the net a few months ago applied for a job in Brisbane and as luck might have it I got it. There sponsoring me for the 457 which too less than 2 weeks to come through so I start work over there in January.

So keep going with your head down, YOU WILL get there in the end, might not be as quick as you want but it WILL happen.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.