Reload this Page >

Advice needed for IT job

Advice needed for IT job

Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

mnaylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed for IT job

hi everyone
this is my first post on here and any advice would be so gratefully received.
myself and my family are in the process of applying for our permanent residency visa to Perth and i must say we are finding it extremely frustrating!
My husband has to secure a contract of employment for 12 months after that we can be over in Perth in 2 months! so as you can imagine it is torture!
our lives are completely on hold in every way and we cannot wait to be over in Perth. My husband is a IT Systems / Network administrator.
my husband has tried every single website and is getting good feedback but every one is saying they will speak to him when we are over there!
we have considered coming for a holiday to secure work but this is a massive risk and will eat into the savings we have to come over with
if any could give us any advice on how to get a job offer or maybe you've been in this position and can shed a little light for us i would be so grateful
thank you
Old Feb 10th 2015, 4:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed for IT job

Most of us emigrated with no jobs.

Emigration is full of risks - if you're not prepared to take risks then stay where you are. There's loads of IT people here in Australia looking for work, companies have no need to employ people who live overseas.

BB
Old Feb 10th 2015, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

centennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to all

I tried on all the websites like your husband did, even with Australian Mobile number (toggle & TruPhone network) but recruiter will easily identity where you calling from and wont entertain you if you are not in the country.

I took two weeks break from work and went to Sydney in Oct'15 to get an idea about the market. I got loads of calls, 2 interviews and 1 offer which I couldn't take as employer wanted me to join immediately which I couldn't due to non-negotiable notice period.

Australian trip was very expensive costing me around £5000 including flights, but it was worth it. I already sent my wife and kids over there and I will joining them in April first week. Risk appetite depends on volume of your saving.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

mnaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi centennial
thank you so much for your advice
congratulations on your big move!
its so helpful speaking to somebody that has been threw the same kind of thing
we have defiantly been thinking of going over on holiday to try and get an idea of the job market since last year
and i think by what you've said we have to seriously consider this now
thank you again for taking the time to reply and all the best for you and your family in your new lives

hi buzzy bee
i think any body who decides to emigrate is taking a massive risk the minute they decide to pursue it
i think you maybe misunderstood the advice i was asking for
we have to have an offer of employment for 12 months to validate our visa and its proving a lot harder to secure this than we had been informed
i just wanted to know if anybody else had managed to do it in the way we are
so its defiantly not about taking risks with us
but thank you for your feedback anyway
Old Feb 10th 2015, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

centennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to all

Some tips :

1. You need to give yourself at least one month for any realistic chance of securing employment.

2. Make sure you take UK sim card with unlimited roaming internet. THREE is good as internet cost is way too high in Australia.

3. In Australia it is bit different from here, recruitment agents want to meet you face to face first before sending your CV to the client so make sure you communicate your arrival date with these agents to meet them on your first/second day.

4. Get TruPhone Simcard with Australian number to put on your CV. You can receive calls from Australia at not extra cost in UK

5. Few other things you can do for example, activate your bank account, get Australian driving license by showing British one, Medicare, tax number etc

Sorry to break this, but Perth has far less IT jobs compared to Sydney/Melbourne so you might want to expand your search to these cities.

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by mnaylor
hi centennial
thank you so much for your advice
congratulations on your big move!
its so helpful speaking to somebody that has been threw the same kind of thing
we have defiantly been thinking of going over on holiday to try and get an idea of the job market since last year
and i think by what you've said we have to seriously consider this now
thank you again for taking the time to reply and all the best for you and your family in your new lives

hi buzzy bee
i think any body who decides to emigrate is taking a massive risk the minute they decide to pursue it
i think you maybe misunderstood the advice i was asking for
we have to have an offer of employment for 12 months to validate our visa and its proving a lot harder to secure this than we had been informed
i just wanted to know if anybody else had managed to do it in the way we are
so its defiantly not about taking risks with us
but thank you for your feedback anyway
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:25 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any PR visa that requires a 12-month employment contract to 'validate'?

To validate you simply have to arrive in Australia within a year of grant (generally), you can fly home the next flight out if you want.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I don't know of any PR visa that requires a 12-month employment contract to 'validate'?
Yeah, I'm confused about that statement too. What visa subclass are we talking about here?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:46 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

From the OPs first post (although it doesn't give a sub-class) -

Originally Posted by mnaylor
Just completed my IELTS and I'm ready to submit my EOI, my job title is a schedule 2 on the WASOL. Which means I need a job offer in place before I can get my Visa.
and looking at the WA skills website it does say -

Originally Posted by http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-wa/how-to-apply-for-state-nomination

Contract of employment

If you are invited to make an application for State nomination from Western Australia you may require a contract of employment. This is a requirement for​ those who have an occupation on Schedule 2 of the WASMOL, those living in an Australian State or territory other than Western Australia and those who have a restricted preferred region.

The contract must meet all of the following conditions:

be in your nominated, or closely related occupation;

be based in Western Australia, for visa subclass 489 this must be in an area outside of Perth and surrounding areas;

be for at least one year (unless permanent);

show compensation and benefits;

have the name of the employee and the employer;

have a job description; and

be full time (a minimum of 35 hours a week).
So it does seem that indeed, the OP needs a job offer to finalise their visa application.

BB
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The OP doesn't have a visa.

They will only get a visa if they can find an employer willing to offer a 12 month employment contract.

It's got nothing to do with visa 'validation' as per the normal definition.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:38 am
Just Joined

grzesH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Question about shape of the job offer. How do you thing would it be OK to be self employed and have some kind of cooperation contract instead of regular job contract.
I am at the beginning of procedure and this job offer stage seems to be most difficult for me.
Thanks in advance.