Advice Needed

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Martyn & Michelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Advice Needed

Hi There, Can anyone help, we are currently just waiting for comfirmation of a job application, then we should be off to Adelade.

Basically we have had a weeks notice that training will start in March 05, and we haven't even done any research. Can anyone help with the following:

How is life out in Oz (Got to be better than here in the UK I think) ie the cost of living, weather, house prices

Are our UK driving licences valid over there?

All our electrical belongings ie tv, video's,dvds, fridges etc are they all useless or can the be used over there.

Has any body shipped a car from the Uk to Adelade or Austraia, I have my prized possession a Mini Cooper and I would love to export it over, can any give me any details of restrictions etc, or what I need to do.

Can anybody recommend a shipping agent.

Many thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:40 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed

Hello,

If you're at the very beginning of the process, then you might want to start with the search facility on this forum. There's been lots of threads about shipping companies, driving licences, TVs, DVDs etc. The sticky thread at the top of this forum (Useful Australia Links) will also be a good place to start. It lists lots of websites that point you in the right direction for all sorts of topics)- very, very useful.

Good luck,
GG

Originally Posted by Martyn & Michelle
Hi There, Can anyone help, we are currently just waiting for comfirmation of a job application, then we should be off to Adelade.

Basically we have had a weeks notice that training will start in March 05, and we haven't even done any research. Can anyone help with the following:

How is life out in Oz (Got to be better than here in the UK I think) ie the cost of living, weather, house prices

All our electrical belongings ie tv, video's,dvds, fridges etc are they all useless or can the be used over there.

Has any body shipped a car from the Uk to Adelade or Austraia, I have my prized possession a Mini Cooper and I would love to export it over, can any give me any details of restrictions etc, or what I need to do.

Many thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

how good are search engines ?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hiya guys welcome to the forum, i think you ll find all the info you need on here,look at the thread at the top of the page useful links for oz and you ll find out loades of info,i m still in england myself, we re hoping to go to brissy in june or july,but i can tell you that you have to take a theory driving test within 3 months of being there,but no practical.Tvs and videos i think are ok if you have the right scart leads, or some need to be adjusted to work, but fridges and freezers apparently you cant take.
If you do a search on these topics there is a lot of threads on these subjests,i m sure you ll find all you need to know, as for properties i think it depens where you live but from our research we ll get more for our money than we can in the uk,take a look at realeastate.com.au its interesting to see different areas and how the prices vary, much the same as the uk.
Hope this has been some help,please ask if you want to know anymore.
Best of luck with your search, keep in touch.

tracey. t

Many thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa are you going to get? If the company are sponsoring you only for a temporary visa (not permanent) then the following is essential reading:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Also look at http://www.immi.gov.au

Is the company going to help you with your visa?

Cost of real estate in Adelaide is cheaper than most of the UK. Climate is Mediterranean - hot, dry summers with cool,wetter winters.

start looking at http://www.sa.gov.au for information on licencing.

Australia has the same voltage as the UK. However there are specific issues with TVs, VCRs, DVDs, cordless phones and large electrical appliances (eg cookers, fridges). Sometimes such items are worth taking, sometimes not.

Most of the rest of your electrical stuff can be taken with no problems other than needing an adaptor for the plug.

Good luck. A lot of research is involved in preparing a successful move. A forum can help but you need to do most of the legwork yourself. Is your company going to pay for a relocation consultant who can give you specific advice on the above and more?

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

There is an excellent book to assist you in all matters regarding relocting to Aus called "The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia" by W.C.Hampton availbel from www.pomsdownunder.com.

I picked a copy up from an Migration Fair and think it the best printed source of information on the subject I've seen.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

For info specific to Adelaide, try
Adelaide Brits

Videos may not recieve Australlain channels, but will still be good for re-playing all recorded tapes

DVD's may be region specific, but some can be altered to becoime region free.

It's expensive to bring a car over.