Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed, 17 year old flying from Dublin to Melbourne via Abu dhabi alone e676

Advice needed, 17 year old flying from Dublin to Melbourne via Abu dhabi alone e676

Old May 1st 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed, 17 year old flying from Dublin to Melbourne via Abu dhabi alone e6

Originally Posted by Mlaroche2711
Hello, my son is flying completely alone from Dublin to Melbourne with a 3hour stopover at Abu dhabi, he wont be leaving the airport and the flights are booked with Etihad airways, the question is as a uk citizen are there any visa requirements for my son at all at Abu dhabi? For the connecting flights? Also as he is 17 and flying completely alone will Abu dhabi officials have any problem with letting him through and onto the second flight due to his age etc? The travel agent stated this wouldn't be a problem when I booked it but I guess i need to clarify it, also.. As the agent stated there wouldn't be but just to clarify.being 17 and flying alone to Australia from Dublin could there be any problems? Also if there is anybody that has flown this route or connected at Abu dhabi without leaving the airport what happens? I'm such a worry, thanks. He is a British citizen
If its any help, my son then 19 and GF flew Etihad to London with a smiliar stopover at Abu dhabi. The airport there now is a new one.

He flew Etihad again recently and said the economy class had been upgraded a bit, nice neutral decor, felt clean and comfortable.

I think at 17 too they are pretty right alone, seriously a mate of mine sent her 12 year old son to the UK alone, he was fine.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:08 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed, 17 year old flying from Dublin to Melbourne via Abu dhabi alone e6

I don't know Abu Dhabi, but I've transited through many international airports without needing visas - basically once you are in the airport it is virtually international territory as far as visas and customs are concerned.

I echo the comment by The A Team above - don't mollycoddle the lad, don't let him think there may be serious problems (which there won't be) or you will make him too nervous to travel and he won't enjoy the experience.

When I was 14 (OK, that was back in 1960) my parents drove me up to Waterloo and put me on the train to Bournemouth. From there I had to find my way to Hurn Airport, get on the car ferry to Cherbourg, and be met the other end by a French family I'd never met before - then three weeks later do the same thing in reverse all the way back to Maidstone. Believe me, a 17yo can do London-Melbourne via Abu Dhabi standing on his head!
Old May 1st 2012, 8:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I don't know Abu Dhabi, but I've transited through many international airports without needing visas - basically once you are in the airport it is virtually international territory as far as visas and customs are concerned.

I echo the comment by The A Team above - don't mollycoddle the lad, don't let him think there may be serious problems (which there won't be) or you will make him too nervous to travel and he won't enjoy the experience.

When I was 14 (OK, that was back in 1960) my parents drove me up to Waterloo and put me on the train to Bournemouth. From there I had to find my way to Hurn Airport, get on the car ferry to Cherbourg, and be met the other end by a French family I'd never met before - then three weeks later do the same thing in reverse all the way back to Maidstone. Believe me, a 17yo can do London-Melbourne via Abu Dhabi standing on his head!
Might get a bit of a headache though.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Mlaroche2711 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for their replies!