Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on moving to perth

advice on moving to perth

Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice
Default advice on moving to perth

Hi my names Lindsey I am moving over to perth Australia at the end of this month with my partner and 2 young boys 5yrs & 2months.I am looking forward to moving and the experience but at the same time i am very emotional some days! I am realy looking forward to it and the next im not, there is days that i really dont want to go! We have sold up everything to go so feel that i have to give it a go, but just dont know if i am doing the right thing, i am very close with my family in daily contact, my 5 yr old is especially close with both sets of grandparents and will miss them loads!
I would be very grateful if any one reading this could give me some advice whether it be positive or not! Or any one who may have been in the same kind of situation and how it worked for them!
Cheers Lindsey!xx
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:51 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on moving to perth

Originally Posted by roottoot1981
Hi my names Lindsey I am moving over to perth Australia at the end of this month with my partner and 2 young boys 5yrs & 2months.I am looking forward to moving and the experience but at the same time i am very emotional some days! I am realy looking forward to it and the next im not, there is days that i really dont want to go! We have sold up everything to go so feel that i have to give it a go, but just dont know if i am doing the right thing, i am very close with my family in daily contact, my 5 yr old is especially close with both sets of grandparents and will miss them loads!
I would be very grateful if any one reading this could give me some advice whether it be positive or not! Or any one who may have been in the same kind of situation and how it worked for them!
Cheers Lindsey!xx
Hi Lindsey

We go the 24 th and by God we feel the same....

We just have to ride this storm as best we can and just hope its worth it when we get tot he other side

Good luck lindsey and family

Were in Perth are you heading ?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice

We head out on the 30th from scotland, we are going to be living in osbourne park or the surrounding area as my partner has a job there!
Glad to hear that there is someone else in the same situation and havin a positive attitude to it, thats it ride the storm & if it dosent work then there is always a flight home eh?
Where are you moving from and to?
Cheers for the reply lindsey!x
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

CazYaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: advice on moving to perth

We left Aberdeen nearly 2years ago, currently in Singapore moving to Perth March'08. We have a 6year daughter. Reading you post brings back all the concerns and emotions of what we went through leaving family/friends.

Don't be hard on yourself and dont expect things to be perfect on your arrival to perth it takes time and effort to settle into life away from everyone. We setup weekly Webcams and sent lots of postcards in the first few weeks, also got daughter into morning playgroup straightaway, daily routines and new activities are a great way of helping them settle.

Its been hard for us but we are really looking forward to moving to Perth and alway ensure the any decisions we make are for the good of our family. Stay positive and never go to bed on an argument !
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:41 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lindsey!xx
Hi Lyndsey

Do your parent have a PC? Get them web cameras and you can see and talk to them every day!

Our parents do not have PC and we only get to see them occasionally when they go to my sisters house, but I would really recommend you get them set up before you leave.

My wife used to see her Mum everyday. Now they talk every day on the phone, usually for an hour or so. We use www.jajah.com for all our phone calls and I was looking today and we have saved nearly 900 GBP so far in phone calls. Check it out.

So long as you can chat daily.... see each other would be a bonus... you'll be fine, just be strong for one another.

Good luck.
Neil.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We moved over from the UK 7 months ago with a 1 year old son. I talk to my parents about 4 times/week and my wife calls her parents about the same apart from now as they have come over to Perth for a month. We have put lots of videos on youtube for family & friends to see and use a webcam on Skype to talk to parents. So far it's not been too bad but we have another baby due in April so we'll see how we cope being 1'000s of miles from any parents!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Chees to all the above who have replied to me great advise from all which i will take on board! Web cams sounds like a really gd idea especially with the baby they change so quick!x
Thanks lindsey!xx
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:49 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

we are going to be living in osbourne park or the surrounding area

No punt intended but I would go for the "surrounding areas" as Ozzy Park is mainly industrial and wholesale area..
Hubby used to work in Ozzy park, took him 30mins to drive to work peak hour from Banksia Grove. So if you can take that travelling time, you can look at anything nice further south or north. But honestly, good luck with your move, hope you'll love it here, I do, wouldn't have stayed for a nearly decade so far if I didn't!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:50 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Chees to all the above who have replied to me great advise from all which i will take on board! Web cams sounds like a really gd idea especially with the baby they change so quick!x
Thanks lindsey!xx
Hey Lindsey... almost forgot. We have just bought a new '3' mobile with built in Skype.
We get 4,000 free mins per month on a $29.00 cap plan and I believe they are $49.00 GBP in the UK on pay as you go. It's great to make and recieve Skype calls totally free for 2 hours per day.

So you could in theory buy a couple of them (one in the UK and one in Oz) and talk for 2 hours a day for free!
My wife was in the shops yesterday and we were chatting for ages on Skype and all the calls I have made between Oz and the UK have been great.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:21 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

We head out on the 30th from scotland, we are going to be living in osbourne park or the surrounding area as my partner has a job there!
Glad to hear that there is someone else in the same situation and havin a positive attitude to it, thats it ride the storm & if it dosent work then there is always a flight home eh?
Where are you moving from and to?
Cheers for the reply lindsey!x
We are from the North West and heading to Carine