Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving accross on WHV...

Advice on moving accross on WHV...

Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

jbwilliamz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving accross on WHV...

Righto, this is my plan!

Me and my girlfriend (both 25) are moving to Melbourne at the end of the month, Sept 08, on a working holiday visa.

I have been in contact with an agency in the Uk and Oz regarding engineering jobs for the both of us, I’m a cad drafter and my girlfriend a motor sport engineer.
Getting a job for myself seems to be no problem according to the agency, but my girlfriend is still looking.

Now the plan is to stay in a hotel/hostel for the first 7-10 days then find a place to rent, we just need some cheap accommodation. What would be best? Also, since we’ll have some valuables with us, laptops etc…how safe are the hostels? And where is best to find them?

The amount of money that we are going to be bringing over is going to be tight in my mind, myself around 2.5/3k and girlfriend around 1-2.5k…depending on car sale. Will this be enough to tie us over for a while?

Also, we will be looking to rent accommodation near the beac, what areas would eb best for this? So far we’ve looked at St.Kilda, Melbourne Port and Elwood? Any other areas?

Thanks,
JB
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:01 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving accross on WHV...

Your young and only have this visa for a year, why don't you just backpack for a bit and make the most of it before getting too serious? Yes that's enough money, but don't get a rental asap, travel a bit!

There's not much point making hard plans as it'll all change when you get there.

As for hostels and lappies, not great.

I was half way through your post (before looking at your profile) when I could tell by your writing style that you were Welsh...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving accross on WHV...

I would also do some traveling too and then if you find a sponsor think about renting then. This visa is not designed for you to settle, you can only work for each employer for 6 months and then have to move on.
Good luck