Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice :Flying with kids

Wikiposts

Advice :Flying with kids

Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:23 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice :Flying with kids

Again, don't worry what other passangers think you will never see them again, gifts are great, let them do what they want for one day. Give them lots of attention let them veg infront of the screen if they wan't to it's one day.

Tell your husband not to do what my friends husband did - he flew out first and then met her and their 2 yo and 2 month old (+ all the baggage/prams/ carseats that go with that) at the airport with a huge bouquet of flowers. He was so excited to see them he couldn't remember which level he parked the car on in the multi story car-park, it was a hire car and he didn't know the reg either...she was so knackered she threw the flowers in the bin and didn't speak to him for a day

LJJ
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:47 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Again, don't worry what other passangers think you will never see them again, gifts are great, let them do what they want for one day. Give them lots of attention let them veg infront of the screen if they wan't to it's one day.

Tell your husband not to do what my friends husband did - he flew out first and then met her and their 2 yo and 2 month old (+ all the baggage/prams/ carseats that go with that) at the airport with a huge bouquet of flowers. He was so excited to see them he couldn't remember which level he parked the car on in the multi story car-park, it was a hire car and he didn't know the reg either...she was so knackered she threw the flowers in the bin and didn't speak to him for a day

LJJ
By the time we see each other again, he better have something a little better than flowers, well once the kids have gone to sleep anyway
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by wargod
My husband has already emigrated and I am flying out on my own on the 16th August with Emirates. I have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Any advice or am I just mad!!

Any advice welcome.
Can't offer advice re: the kids but I can say don't worry about the other passengers. Hubby & I are childless but we never mind the noise any kids make, we always think that if we find the flight tiresome how must they feel, all cooped up and not really understanding how long it's going to be for. We've never felt p***ed off when kids have been crying/screaming etc - just sorry for the parents! I notice lots of people here are saying "sod the other passengers" and though I bet a few of you have had bad experiences, most of us without kids are pretty understanding. The last thing you want to be doing is worrying about what other people think and getting stressed. Remember most of the other passengers will be feeling for you and feeling glad they don't have to try and entertain a couple of kids for a long flight!!! By the way, hubby and I are constantly amazed at just how well behaved children are on flights, even long ones, so they might surprise you.

Anyhow, good luck and all the very best,

Jo
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

There will be 7 of us flying. Me, the missus, the kids aged, 10,8,7,4,3.

Any suggestions on economy(price) and good with a large family( ie which Airline?)

thanks

Steve
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:26 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stephen
There will be 7 of us flying. Me, the missus, the kids aged, 10,8,7,4,3.

Any suggestions on economy(price) and good with a large family( ie which Airline?)

thanks

Steve
With price just shop around, opodo , expedia , ebookers , traveljungle etc.
With regards airlines Malaysia were very good with the three of us and I believe Singapore are good to.

Martyn
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

geordiekaz will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Advice :Flying with kids

Originally Posted by wargod
My husband has already emigrated and I am flying out on my own on the 16th August with Emirates. I have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Any advice or am I just mad!!

Any advice welcome.

Best advice would be organised!!! Ring the airline and make sure you have the bulkhead seats, they have to give priority to young children and can even move people who have booked these seats who have not got children. This happened to us on our flight out in April BA/Quanta's, the extra leg room you get is fab. Don't forget to book child meals you don't automatically get them, you have to book!! (mistake we made! very unhappy kids at meal times!!!) We had books, toys, music etc. Kids watched the cartoon channels on the inflight entertainment and fell asleep watching that mostly. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as we thought it was going to be and they slept alot of the time.
Good luck
Karen