Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on extras when buying new car in Oz!

Advice on extras when buying new car in Oz!

Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Scoofy will become famous soon enough
Question Advice on extras when buying new car in Oz!

Hi all.

we just signed a contract to buy a new car, a hyundai accent... i'm very happy as it's our first car ever! However, the salesman tried to sell some extra services, but i'm not sure if this is needed here in Oz (of course he said they were crucial!), so could you please help me:

- wax layer and teflon layer, otherwise the paint starts powdering because of the sun and salt, he said
- rust buster: a little machine to be attached to the car, otherwise it rusts in no time...

As we just moved here, we would like to know if any of these things are needed... is it true the sun and salt causes so much damage so fast to cars here???

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Advice on extras when buying new car in Oz!

I got caught on that on my frst new car, then they tried it on with a used car !!

Everything they sell, normally in a special discounted package if you get all three options, is available cheaper somewhere else.

It may be good, but I "feel" otherwise.

have a read of this: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...oto=nextnewest

Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:57 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

my reply when they offered me that was - well on this XX,000$ new Car im sure youve designed it to work in aus and the paint wont peal otherwise you can keep it and I"ll go buy a car that can cope with Aus heat.... (much ooer-tugging of collar and assurances of course no its going to be fine without it).

But... DO take the tinted window option - on our lancruiser that cost 400$ as a guide - its bloody essential and well well well worth the money. Having it done at the dealer means its warranted etc and all sorted when you pick the car up. You can get it done after-market probably for less but hassle wise I just gave in and let dealer do it. Cuts out 70% of the sun - when you first get here you wonder why everyones driving round in 'pimped up' cars then you realise the tint is to convert the mobile greenhouse into something you can actually get into after an hour parked in the aussie-sun (and it stops the interior fading).
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Scoofy]Hi all.

- wax layer and teflon layer, otherwise the paint starts powdering because of the sun and salt, he said
- rust buster: a little machine to be attached to the car, otherwise it rusts in no time.

Well I'm a car sprayer and have never heard of those things. Standard salesman me thinks $$$$$$ thats all he is seeing. Try to get a full tank and if you have not already more of the car, don't pay the screen price.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:17 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
But... DO take the tinted window option - on our lancruiser that cost 400$ as a guide - its bloody essential and well well well worth the money. Having it done at the dealer means its warranted etc and all sorted when you pick the car up. You can get it done after-market probably for less but hassle wise I just gave in and let dealer do it. Cuts out 70% of the sun - when you first get here you wonder why everyones driving round in 'pimped up' cars then you realise the tint is to convert the mobile greenhouse into something you can actually get into after an hour parked in the aussie-sun (and it stops the interior fading).

Couldn't agree more. It amazes me how much heat the tinting blocks out.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:01 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoofy
...a hyundai accent...
...- wax layer and teflon layer...
...- rust buster: a little machine to be attached to the car...
Not sure about the rest of Aus, but certainly does not seem to be a big rust problem here in Qld. In the UK the big problem is the salt on the roads in winter that sprays up under your car and then freezes on so that your underside is coated with salty water for hours at a time. No salt on the roads in winter here as there is no ice (don't know if they even use it down in the snowfields). Most likely place to get salt on your car is if you drive it on the beach (or live right on the water front). I have a nearly 5 year old 4WD that we take on the beach fairly regularly - before we go on we go through a car wash that sprays the underside with an oil mix and when we come off we go through again which sprays off all the salty sand that is coating everything. I was going to get a rust buster thing when I got the car but never did - there is very little rust to be seen.

Never heard of the wax and teflon coatings so cannot comment.

As others have said - the main thing to get is tinted windows.

Also, if you care about the paintwork it might be worth getting the bonnet protector and headlight protectors (if Hyundai do them).

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought a new car and opted for the tinted windows and also the other package which apparantly keeps the paint work looking like brand new, interior should not stain and dash should not fade or crack. Probably been ripped off but thought we would see if it worked and then will know next time whether to go for it or not.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

When you buy a new car here, you pit one dealer against another and when you have the best price possible you then say that will include on roads,ie rego,stamp duty,3rd party ins.,then you ask for window tint, bonnet protectors etc also. You have to bargain hard. I've lived here for 40 years and bought a number of new cars and never paid for any of the above, plus a good few thousand of the list price. Mind you I never did the bargaining, that was always my husband or one of my sons. I was there in the intial phone conversations saying you can't ask for that as well - but it has always worked!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought a new car and ignored all the aftersales products like the plague. We did have window tint (as people have said it really is a must) but we had that included in the price when negotiating. Hubby sold new cars here for two years and he knows the retail markup on the paint/wax/spray/rust crap can be over 200%. Eg the paint wax can be marketed over $500 but costs less than $200. He used to say it was amazing the number of people who haggled like mad on car price and then went and spent silly sums on overpriced after markets products. Buy your wax yourself and a few tins of scotchguard for your seats from the local supermarket.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
When you buy a new car here, you pit one dealer against another and when you have the best price possible you then say that will include on roads,ie rego,stamp duty,3rd party ins.,then you ask for window tint, bonnet protectors etc also. You have to bargain hard. I've lived here for 40 years and bought a number of new cars and never paid for any of the above, plus a good few thousand of the list price. Mind you I never did the bargaining, that was always my husband or one of my sons. I was there in the intial phone conversations saying you can't ask for that as well - but it has always worked!
Agree. When I bought the Navara ST-X yesterday. I went armed with several quotes, knowing that I could push him a bit further. He matched my lowest price & threw in a few extras as well. I reckon I got a good deal. As for the rustproofing etc. I don't normally go for this but again the guy selling these gave me a great deal (basically he had a hangover, had had a good morning & couldn't be arsed to argue with me!). The window tinting is a must. Dealers do not make much on new cars, they work on volume. Some cars they will make a lot, others they will make nothing, as long as they are shifting them. They make more money on used cars, servicing & spares & financing.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. When I bought the Navara ST-X yesterday. I went armed with several quotes, knowing that I could push him a bit further. He matched my lowest price & threw in a few extras as well. I reckon I got a good deal. As for the rustproofing etc. I don't normally go for this but again the guy selling these gave me a great deal (basically he had a hangover, had had a good morning & couldn't be arsed to argue with me!). The window tinting is a must. Dealers do not make much on new cars, they work on volume. Some cars they will make a lot, others they will make nothing, as long as they are shifting them. They make more money on used cars, servicing & spares & financing.
What happened to your diesel golf ?

given it to your wife ?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What happened to your diesel golf ?

given it to your wife ?
Still got it. We are now a 2 car family! My wife will probably use the Navara more & I'll use the Golf to get to work.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Still got it. We are now a 2 car family! My wife will probably use the Navara more & I'll use the Golf to get to work.

Blimey thats ok, My other car is a Datsun 120Y...and it's battered to death, Bet I could get to perth in it though.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 3:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blimey thats ok, My other car is a Datsun 120Y...and it's battered to death, Bet I could get to perth in it though.

The 120Y is a good car. Datsun=Nissan. Wouldn't want to drive across the Nullabor though!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:27 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scoofy
Hi all.
Check the manufacturers warantee on paintwork, it's probably 20+ years.
- rust buster: a little machine to be attached to the car, otherwise it rusts in no time...
I was offered the same on a new Toyota. The salesman conceded they weren't necessary when asked if Toyotas had problems with rust and paintwork.