Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on dive gear...

Wikiposts

Advice on dive gear...

Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:39 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on dive gear...

Originally Posted by northerner
Might not be the right forum, but I know there's a few divers out there amongst the BE community....

We're newish divers off to Sydney (hopefully) in a couple of months and are slowly building up our kit. We've decided we now want to go the whole hog and get full kit for both of us as we know we're hooked and will be diving regularly in Oz. Also would be a complete waste not to go to the dive show in October and get it all there...

So has anybody got any recommendations?? We've already got wetsuits, masks and booties so will need;
  • Computers
  • BCs
  • regs/octopus
  • Fins

Being beginners we don't need a £400 BC etc. but also don't want cheap stuff which we will regret buying in a 6 months time. No idea about BC's, regs etc (except that Mares has been recommended), top of the list for computers are Suunto Gekko or Vyper.

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received so I can direct the credit card in the right direction at the show....

Graham
hi graham
after getting similar advice from our BE dive buddies
i`ve purchased several new pieces of kit
i recommend that you go and see Matt or Carl at Bolton area divers
tell them Steve w sent you and ask for a cash discount

http://www.boltonareadivers.co.uk/

they recently got me a suunto stinger for the right money
( not the titanium one i aint that rich ) and a ful set ( minus tanks ) of gear for my daughter
cressi regs, 5mm suit, stab and a pair of volo fins
good luck mate

regards steve
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:20 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond
Hi, just wondering, is it easy to hire all the gear for diving out there instead of buying it? We are all qualified divers (me, OH and 2 kids 11 & 12) we got qualifed earlier this year as the children can't dive unqualified in Australia until they are 14/15ish. Obviously they are still growing so buying a complete kit for them could be more of a waste of money.

What would you recommend? BTW we are heading to Brisbane October, any good dive sites round there?

Cheers
Yes you can hire it but (IMO) you can't beat using your own. Kids can dive at 12 years old in QLD. Some good sites off Brisbane and plenty of dive shops/clubs.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:29 am
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Yes you can hire it but (IMO) you can't beat using your own. Kids can dive at 12 years old in QLD. Some good sites off Brisbane and plenty of dive shops/clubs.
Thanks for that. We will buy our own then, but it will have to be when we get there now

Are you a dive master? Would really appreciate any info on Brisbane sites if you get a mo.

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:30 am
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, just wondering, is it easy to hire all the gear for diving out there instead of buying it? We are all qualified divers (me, OH and 2 kids 11 & 12) we got qualifed earlier this year as the children can't dive unqualified in Australia until they are 14/15ish. Obviously they are still growing so buying a complete kit for them could be more of a waste of money.

What would you recommend? BTW we are heading to Brisbane October, any good dive sites round there?

Cheers
If you realy enjoy diving, why not buy your gear. Just think of all the other people who have used the gear you will be hiring!!! Not everyone has a strong bladder!

I would say to avoid the dive show. Regardless of the special deals, most of the exhibitors are quite pricy. I was going to buy a new BCD at last years show. The cheapest I could find it there was £400. I got it from a shop in germany via the internet for half the price and it was delivered within two days. My advice, check out the gear that you want, then go home and research the internet. Most of the larger exhibitors still offer their show prices for a week or so after the show.

Try:
www.diveshopper.com
www.ts-heinemann.com good
www.megadivestore.com good and cheap
www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk
www.deepbluedive.co.uk good

For god sake, dont get carried away at the show! It's good for one thing, finding what you want and seeing which size you need to order. It's also good for picking up the smaller nick-nacks.
Be prepared for a lot of sales pitches from people who only want your money.
They will pick up on the fact that you are there to spend a lot of money, and they'll want you to spend it with them!!

Happy diving and shopping!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:35 am
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coolie
If you realy enjoy diving, why not buy your gear. Just think of all the other people who have used the gear you will be hiring!!! Not everyone has a strong bladder!

I would say to avoid the dive show. Regardless of the special deals, most of the exhibitors are quite pricy. I was going to buy a new BCD at last years show. The cheapest I could find it there was £400. I got it from a shop in germany via the internet for half the price and it was delivered within two days. My advice, check out the gear that you want, then go home and research the internet. Most of the larger exhibitors still offer their show prices for a week or so after the show.

Try:
www.diveshopper.com
www.ts-heinemann.com good
www.megadivestore.com good and cheap
www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk
www.deepbluedive.co.uk good

For god sake, dont get carried away at the show! It's good for one thing, finding what you want and seeing which size you need to order. It's also good for picking up the smaller nick-nacks.
Be prepared for a lot of sales pitches from people who only want your money.
They will pick up on the fact that you are there to spend a lot of money, and they'll want you to spend it with them!!

Happy diving and shopping!
I can also recomend the suunto stinger. Although suunto have released new computers (D6 and D9), i thiink the stinger is still the best value. I dont really trust a digital or a wireless pressure guage! Call me old fashioned!

The best advice anybody can give you is to go with what you feel comfortable in. Dont let money be an issue, your life depends on this equipment!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:49 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My 2 cents - fly via the US and buy all your gear there. If you stopover in LA the shop to go to is in Irvine - www.scuba.com. This will be cheaper than the UK or Oz. While you're in LA you can dive Catalina island which IMHO is one of the best dive sites in the world.

Buzzy
What?? - Better than capernwray? Surely not!!!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:16 am
Banned

Everyone has their own ideas on what's best and what works for them and everyone is different. My kit is set up for me and that's what I want, however, the only part of my kit I would wholeheartedly recomend is the stab jacket. I've tried a few different ones and for me Buddy outshines the lot. Excellent position on the surface, gets you right up out of the water - no mean feat for a jacket to do when you're a 'large chap' like myself. Great if you happen to be in a bit of rough at the surface waiting for a pick-up. Everything works, and if it doesn't, it has a lifetime guarantee. Worth 300 quid (ish) of anyones money.

http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/pr...83afaa6ede22d5
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:36 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice on dive gear...

Well obviously thats just my opinion but I can't wait to dive Catalina again! Cool water - 19 degrees at the surface with a wicked thermocline down to about 15 degrees at about 5 metres but the wildlife - garibaldis, leopard sharks, rays and massive 3m long black sea bass (endangered). The whole island is a marine park and you can shore or boat dive it. The giant kelp is incredible - like swimming through a forest!

Hope to dive it again when we come to Oz next year and this time I hope I remember my camera!

In the meantime can't wait to get the gear wet with you in November on Moreton island....

Buzzy
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

we`re off to crapenwray shortly
as my daughters finishing off her open water course

lucky arn`t i
Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
we`re off to crapenwray shortly
as my daughters finishing off her open water course

lucky arn`t i
Just be sure to get yourself a 'Double Narcosis Chilli Burger' in the cafe.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:53 pm
Worongary

Just be sure to get yourself a 'Double Narcosis Chilli Burger' in the cafe.
went for the double chesse burger and cheesey chips

o and our terri has now passed her open water
so we will be looking for some easy shore dives when we get there
Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
went for the double chesse burger and cheesey chips

o and our terri has now passed her open water
so we will be looking for some easy shore dives when we get there
You can do tangalooma Wrecks as a shore dive. Quite shallow so loads of dive time - great for a beginner

http://www.diveshow.com.au/ASNS%20Tr...Tangalooma.htm

Tell her congratulations

Last edited by 232Bar; Aug 26th 2006 at 5:49 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. We will buy our own then, but it will have to be when we get there now

Are you a dive master? Would really appreciate any info on Brisbane sites if you get a mo.

Cheers
Try and find yourself a friendly UK place that will ship via the postal system to you in Oz as it will be a lot cheaper. You also won't need to pay VAT as you're outside the EU and I understand that Australia customs rarely charge import duty on items sent by post under $1000 (its only about $200 for courier stuff so avoid that if you can). This will probably work out still lots cheaper that buying it here as they charge a fortune.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:10 am
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spottydog
Try and find yourself a friendly UK place that will ship via the postal system to you in Oz as it will be a lot cheaper. You also won't need to pay VAT as you're outside the EU and I understand that Australia customs rarely charge import duty on items sent by post under $1000 (its only about $200 for courier stuff so avoid that if you can). This will probably work out still lots cheaper that buying it here as they charge a fortune.
Thanks for that info
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:50 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
We have Buddy BCD's with auto airs, Apex regs & Suunto Computers (although had Aladdin before these) and I would recommend all of them. I used to have avanti quattro fins but found they tired my legs so not have force fins (very much a case of love them or hate them).

Last weekend the water temperature in Sydney was 16C so either a good thick wetsuit or a drysuit may also be a worthwhile purchase (I was in a drysuit and I'm going to use a hood and possibly gloves next time and the thicker undersuit is definitely coming out, our few wetsuit divers were in at least 2 layers with hoods and gloves and were sdtill pretty cold lus drysuits here start at about $2500!). Make sure you buy fins that take booties and buy booties too if you don't go for a drysuit

For a computer I would ensure you get one with Nitrox and decompression capabilities so it will cover all your diving whatever level you take it to.

I woulds suggest don't buy a compass unless you're buying an electronic one which you can calibrate (Suunto do 2 computers with electronic compasses, the D9 and a cheaper non-titanium one, I've got the D9 and love it). If Robin Hood are at the dive show try and sneak a look at their full diveshow price list for computers, I got out D9's from them when they were just out for £500 when everyone else wanted closer to £700.

Definitely don't buy tanks, they will just turn into exensive doorstops, get them from Dive Imports in perth when you've arrived ($350 for 12l fabers inc delivery, cheapest we've found in Oz).

It's also worth buying little dive bits as they are expensive to here so go for knife/net cutters, spare fin/mask straps & o-rings, gloves, hood, DSMB & Reel (very useful), lead weights & belt (if you're shipping stuff across, bit heavy to fly), torch (the little PCa lite are excellent for a BC pocket and won't break the bank). If you're feeling really extravagant go for a digital camera & housing too.

When you get to Sydney if you fancy meeting a friendly dive club come down to Moretons on Sussex Street on a Wednesday evening where Sydney Sub Aqua Club meet for a few beers we're a BSAC club with expats from around the world along with a couple of Aussies and dive regularly.
Thanks for all the info spottydog (and everyone else too!). Had a look at the website - you're not the mad looking scottish one are you LOL?

Looks like a really good club, I think someone has recommended it to me before on here. Do you accept PADI scum? We definitely want to dive regularly and joining an active club makes sense (get to meet a few people as well!).

Silly question - we're PADI qualified and were thinking about doing Rescue Diver course and go on to do whatever. Do you do these courses or is it 100% BSAC?? If it's 100% BSAC, do we need to start training from scratch as it were? Not quite sure how it all works to be honest...

Cheers again,

Graham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.