Reload this Page >

Advice On CV Format

Advice On CV Format

Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Wee Bubba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice On CV Format

gday there!

i need to do a CV before I start looking for work. i've no idea what is the best format for an Australian CV. could anybody offer me some advice please, or perhaps some useful URL's to get me started. I work in I.T. if that is relavent.

thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice On CV Format

Originally Posted by Wee Bubba
gday there!

i need to do a CV before I start looking for work. i've no idea what is the best format for an Australian CV. could anybody offer me some advice please, or perhaps some useful URL's to get me started. I work in I.T. if that is relavent.

thanks.
I have used this one to good effect before. Some of it is a little American but its pretty much all good for over here.

I think the main thing is is keep it simple and make it flow. Dont give everything away in the Resume. Leave something to tell them in the interview!!

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/a/aa040801a.htm
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:47 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

gday there!

thanks.
Once you get the format check the spelling I should know I'm a terribal spella.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Wee Bubba is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice.

do australian companies prefer a one page CV. or is a 2/3 page CV ok?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

gday there!

thanks.
Alternatively you could contact an international Recruitment Organisation, dependant on location in australia, try www.talent2.com.au, excellent informative web site, they'll help on cv and finding roles, even educate you in the market place.
If youre not in Oz yet they can start the ball rolling and source sponsorship accredited organisations.
Ivan
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:09 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the advice.

We've been told 3 pages max.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the advice.

My CV was 3 pages long the point is to keep it relevant to the job you are applying for and demonstrating why you are an ideal candidate for the position. It took me 2 weeks to get a job (Im in IT) once I started looking.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
We've been told 3 pages max.

Yup, thats what I suggest also.

Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:06 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

gday there!

thanks.
I wouldnt stress about length, just dont waffle. Keep it clear and well laid out, avoid fancy graphics, logos, large boxes, tables etc. Most resumes will be imported onto a database and all this sort of stuff just causes issues and makes this process more difficult.
Generally I would start of with Personal details followed by education, then maybe a brief paragraph giving an overview of yourself with any specific details about your working background core skills etc and maybe direction you are looking to head in.
Then go through your Employment History most current first. I prefer it in a more bullet point style rather than in a more free flowing sentences/paragraph style, but there is no right or wrong either is fine.
Finish off with the outside work type stuff, hobbies etc and then referees if you want to include them at this stage.

If your coming to Perth let me know
Steve
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steve99
Generally I would start of with Personal details followed by education, then maybe a brief paragraph giving an overview of yourself with any specific details about your working background core skills etc and maybe direction you are looking to head in.
Then go through your Employment History most current first.
Steve, you work in IT recruitment don't you? So you're probably better placed than most to give advice.
I'm sure everyone has their preferences, and what works for one might not for another, but I've found that my resume has better results when I hit with an overview and employment, before education. Even with university level education, most employers are more interested in what you've done since then. Unless of course that doesn't amount to much then perhaps education comes first.
What do you think?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:01 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Steve, you work in IT recruitment don't you? So you're probably better placed than most to give advice.
I'm sure everyone has their preferences, and what works for one might not for another, but I've found that my resume has better results when I hit with an overview and employment, before education. Even with university level education, most employers are more interested in what you've done since then. Unless of course that doesn't amount to much then perhaps education comes first.
What do you think?
Yes Im one of those completely useless good for nothing IT recruitment consultants
As you say there is no right or wrong really, the main thing is that its clearly laid out, easy to read and to the point.
As you can imagine we see all sort of bizzarre things that people have come up with to try and be different or stand out.
With regard to employment before or after education, to be honest I dont think either way is going to prevent you from getting a job.
It really is personal prefence, I dont generally look at the education in great detail but I generaly would prefer to know to what level someone is educated to before I go through all there work history, I deal a lot with contract roles so for some of the more experienced people they have a pretty long work history, im generaly interested in the total length of time theyve been working, (normally covered in the overview at the start) and the specific details of the past 3-5 years, there could be another 5 - 15 yrs+ experience that I may not even get to read, so if the education details are after this lot, potentially I could miss it.
Also with accreditations and specific qualifications I would put these under the education section, again I would rather know straight away if someone was say a CCNA or CCDP or maybe a Prince2 certified Project Manager etc

One thing I would say is no matter whats on your resume or how well you've laid it out, a CV wont automatically get you the job, how you front up at interview will govern that, how you present, communication skills, personality, fit within the business etc are also very important.

Last edited by steve99; Mar 17th 2006 at 2:03 am.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

gday there!

thanks.

What, exactly, do you do in IT? My company have offices in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and are always on the lookout for good people. Also - I forgot to double check, are you in oz already? (Where) and iof not, when do you plan to get here?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:24 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steve99
Yes Im one of those completely useless good for nothing IT recruitment consultants
As you say there is no right or wrong really, the main thing is that its clearly laid out, easy to read and to the point.
As you can imagine we see all sort of bizzarre things that people have come up with to try and be different or stand out.
With regard to employment before or after education, to be honest I dont think either way is going to prevent you from getting a job.
It really is personal prefence, I dont generally look at the education in great detail but I generaly would prefer to know to what level someone is educated to before I go through all there work history, I deal a lot with contract roles so for some of the more experienced people they have a pretty long work history, im generaly interested in the total length of time theyve been working, (normally covered in the overview at the start) and the specific details of the past 3-5 years, there could be another 5 - 15 yrs+ experience that I may not even get to read, so if the education details are after this lot, potentially I could miss it.
Also with accreditations and specific qualifications I would put these under the education section, again I would rather know straight away if someone was say a CCNA or CCDP or maybe a Prince2 certified Project Manager etc

One thing I would say is no matter whats on your resume or how well you've laid it out, a CV wont automatically get you the job, how you front up at interview will govern that, how you present, communication skills, personality, fit within the business etc are also very important.
Thanks for the reply Steve, I did come back to read it.
I'm sure you're not completely useless or good for nothing, it's just all the others