Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on clarkson high school

advice on clarkson high school

Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:17 am
Just Joined

linda g is an unknown quantity at this point
Question advice on clarkson high school

we moved to butler 6036 from scotland 5 months ago. our 14yr old son is at a local private school in the area but is unfortunately not doing well there. he has mild learning difficulties and is not coping with the workload. we feel he is not getting the help and support he needs at this school and have been to see clarkson high school but all we seem to hear is horror stories about fights and bullying.
he was bullied at school in scotland and is therefore very apprehensive about starting at clarkson. he has no friends and spends all his free time on the playstation. we are in a terrible predicament, do we keep him at a school where he is learning nothing and has no friends? or enrol him at clarkson and risk him being bullied again? any advice would really help
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:35 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default Re: advice on clarkson high school

Originally Posted by linda g
we moved to butler 6036 from scotland 5 months ago. our 14yr old son is at a local private school in the area but is unfortunately not doing well there. he has mild learning difficulties and is not coping with the workload. we feel he is not getting the help and support he needs at this school and have been to see clarkson high school but all we seem to hear is horror stories about fights and bullying.
he was bullied at school in scotland and is therefore very apprehensive about starting at clarkson. he has no friends and spends all his free time on the playstation. we are in a terrible predicament, do we keep him at a school where he is learning nothing and has no friends? or enrol him at clarkson and risk him being bullied again? any advice would really help
Aren't there other options over Clarkson?

I know it's slightly out of catchment, but wouldn't it be worth enquiying at Mindarie College or maybe as far down as Kinross (which also has quite a good name)?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda g
My daughter goes to Clarkson High and loves it. The teachers are great. Clarkson also has a special education section, so he would be able to get the attention he needs. Don't listen to the rumours about it being a bad school. It's usually parents who's children have never attended who perpetuate them.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:10 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Don't listen to the rumours about it being a bad school.
Woh there. I think any 'rumours' about a school being bad should be at least listened to.

There's often no smoke without fire. And I've heard about some blazes about Clarkson.

The OP should probably go into the school and see for herself. Possibly more than once.

The biggest concern must be the bullying. So a big, bad state school such as Clarkson should be viewed with at least some caution.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Woh there. I think any 'rumours' about a school being bad should be at least listened to.

There's often no smoke without fire. And I've heard about some blazes about Clarkson.

The OP should probably go into the school and see for herself. Possibly more than once.

The biggest concern must be the bullying. So a big, bad state school such as Clarkson should be viewed with at least some caution.
Like I said, they're usually perpetuated by parents who's children don't attend the school. Same with the suburb rumours...You know the ones. Don't live there 'cause it's filled with bogans and council houses.
At no time did I tell her not to check it out. I did tell her that my child is doing very well there and has had absolutely no problem with any of the behaviours or problems people go on about.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

euanno1 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i know that i have heard rumors about the school but the're fake and that one of my friends goes there and he loves it and does not get bullied or anything.the school is big but once u get there it will feel smaller and hopfully he will make some friends.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I'm in NSW so things may be different for you, but if you are considering state schools for a child with special needs you need to be very clear about what they will offer him. I was delighted when the local high school treated the news that my eldest was dyslexic with a very positive "no problem" attitude - however it turned out that there was no problem in their eyes because they would basically just ignore it (apart from the teacher who had a go at him in front of the class for his poor spelling that is!). Can you not talk to his current school about why you feel they are not meeting his needs? The solution for us has been a Christian school where my son feels supported by the teachers and it's just not acceptable to make fun of someone for their disabilities. Not a path I ever really thought I would end up taking (and obviously not everyone's cup of tea), but it's working for us.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

linda g is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Aren't there other options over Clarkson?

I know it's slightly out of catchment, but wouldn't it be worth enquiying at Mindarie College or maybe as far down as Kinross (which also has quite a good name)?
will look into other schools, just want him safe and happy