British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice on citizenship test. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-citizenship-test-596824/)

dobbin74 Mar 11th 2009 10:30 am

Advice on citizenship test.

my wife and I are sitting the Australia citizenship test at the end of April.

Any advice from anyone would be great.

Read the booklet but still a bit nervous about the test.

Many thanks x

tartankoala Mar 11th 2009 10:37 am

Re: Advice on citizenship test.

If you've read the booklet you'll be fine, My mate didn't even do that and she got 17/20 yesterday and even she admits that she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

dobbin74 Mar 11th 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 7366979)
If you've read the booklet you'll be fine, My mate didn't even do that and she got 17/20 yesterday and even she admits that she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I think she only just passed.

You need more than 16/20?

charlie-k Mar 11th 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by dobbin74 (Post 7366960)
my wife and I are sitting the Australia citizenship test at the end of April.

Any advice from anyone would be great.

Read the booklet but still a bit nervous about the test.

Many thanks x

Yes, there's a good 'cramming guide'
For some reason I can't cut and paste the link though :o

search: citizenship Test, post #49 by Comet555 march 6th 2009

moneypenny20 Mar 11th 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by dobbin74 (Post 7366999)
I think she only just passed.

You need more than 16/20?

Yup and you also need to get all the questions right in the Rules and requirements of being a citizen section right. Get even one wrong in that bit and you fail. Just relax, and remember to go back and check all the questions carefully once you've finished.

comet555 Mar 11th 2009 1:01 pm

I thought you only needed to get 60% right, which is only 12 out of 20. Although you have to get the 3 questions on rights and responsibilities right. So, if you got those 3 right and about 9 others to make the 12 then you should still pass.

Honestly though, nothing to worry about. I was very nervous to do the test but it was really, really easy. A lot of the questions had multiple choice answers where common sense would let you figure out which was the right one. If you've already read the book I would put it away and take it out the day or two before the test. Just read it through again to be safe, you probably don't need to but I imagine you'd feel better.

Here's the thread that charlie-k mentioned:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...tizenship+test

The cramming guide is on page 4.

hoofie2002 Mar 11th 2009 1:05 pm

Also, if you fail it, you can walk right back in again and sit it again - well, they let my wife do that [one of the mandatory pass one's wrong] and she passed it then.

comet555 Mar 11th 2009 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 7367515)
Also, if you fail it, you can walk right back in again and sit it again - well, they let my wife do that [one of the mandatory pass one's wrong] and she passed it then.

I asked them that question when I wrote it, they said no problem that I could take it again if needed while I was there. Also, they have a one page sheet that summarizes the rights and responsibilites so you can read through that again if needed.

marco121068 Mar 11th 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7367384)
and remember to go back and check all the questions carefully once you've finished.

It's not like you're going to run out of time. 45 mins is the max. time they allow - not sure what I was meant to do with the other 43 mins. Probably thought I was doing the BE Funtrivia Quiz. :lol:

Seriously though - there's plenty of time for you to go back and read the questions again and double check your answers.

dobbin74 Mar 11th 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks for all the advice you have all given me,fell a lot bettter now:thumbup:

GSNR Mar 12th 2009 12:39 am

My hubby and I did our test yesterday and both passed, he got 100%, I got one wrong. We made sure we were well prepared for the test, and never just read through the book once, but a few times. The pass mark is 60% as Comet555 has said, but you then have those 3 madatory questions.

Good luck for your test at the end of April!

dobbin74 Mar 13th 2009 7:32 am

Originally Posted by GSNR (Post 7369974)
My hubby and I did our test yesterday and both passed, he got 100%, I got one wrong. We made sure we were well prepared for the test, and never just read through the book once, but a few times. The pass mark is 60% as Comet555 has said, but you then have those 3 madatory questions.

Good luck for your test at the end of April!

Well done to you both :thumbsup: