Reload this Page >

Advice on Australian cities

Advice on Australian cities

Old Sep 14th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

frnkls83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Australian cities

Hi All

I have a great opportunity with my job to spend 1-2 years in Australia which I've decided to take, and now need to make a decision as to which city to go to.

I have the option of Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth - pretty much ruled out Perth so its between Brisbane and Melbourne.

I have read loads about the cities, but would be really interested to know what experiences people have had moving to them from the UK. I will be going as a single guy without knowing anyone, so really important to me to be able to meet people and make friends when I get there. Have heard an opinion from someone this is more difficult in Brisbane than Melbourne/Sydney?

Thanks
Frank
Old Sep 14th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on Australian cities

I knew a few single guys in a consultancy I worked for in Brissie. They didn't stay single for long - men are in short supply in Brisbane, so if that idea floats your boat... Perhaps some women from down south could give their experience on the Ozzie man shortage?? However, I think Mel/Syd would have more nightlife/clubs/bars etc.. Brisbane kinds of shuts down at 9 p.m. and Saturday night in the city is very quiet, if you are used to UK cities. Doesn't bother me as I'm an old fart with teenage kids - In fact I quite like it, my kids would be going clubbing in the UK whereas here they're into scouts, guides, hiking etc......
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frnkls83
Hi All

I have a great opportunity with my job to spend 1-2 years in Australia which I've decided to take, and now need to make a decision as to which city to go to.

I have the option of Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth - pretty much ruled out Perth so its between Brisbane and Melbourne.

I have read loads about the cities, but would be really interested to know what experiences people have had moving to them from the UK. I will be going as a single guy without knowing anyone, so really important to me to be able to meet people and make friends when I get there. Have heard an opinion from someone this is more difficult in Brisbane than Melbourne/Sydney?

Thanks
Frank
I've lived in Brisbane and now Melbourne...for about 4 years each.

I don't think you'll find any difference in the ability to make friends & meet people...that's more about you than anything to do with the cities. Initially I guess it will be largely dependent on the people you work with & how sociable they are / their personal situations - singles vs parents etc. Brisbane is a bit weird in that for a large city a lot of people seem to know each other.

Personally I am far happier in Melbourne...go to Brisbane for a climate chart...go to Melbourne for everything else!
Old Sep 15th 2012, 3:34 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've lived in Brisbane and now Melbourne...for about 4 years each.

I don't think you'll find any difference in the ability to make friends & meet people...that's more about you than anything to do with the cities. Initially I guess it will be largely dependent on the people you work with & how sociable they are / their personal situations - singles vs parents etc. Brisbane is a bit weird in that for a large city a lot of people seem to know each other.

Personally I am far happier in Melbourne...go to Brisbane for a climate chart...go to Melbourne for everything else!
Adelaide is like that, but you would expect it because it is a much smaller city.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 4:42 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

sydney not a choice?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 4:43 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in melb atm and its kinda lunatic sort of place
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I knew a few single guys in a consultancy I worked for in Brissie. They didn't stay single for long - men are in short supply in Brisbane, so if that idea floats your boat... Perhaps some women from down south could give their experience on the Ozzie man shortage?? However, I think Mel/Syd would have more nightlife/clubs/bars etc.. Brisbane kinds of shuts down at 9 p.m. and Saturday night in the city is very quiet, if you are used to UK cities. Doesn't bother me as I'm an old fart with teenage kids - In fact I quite like it, my kids would be going clubbing in the UK whereas here they're into scouts, guides, hiking etc......
Slight correction DECENT men are in short supply in Brisbane
Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
To add another opinion I don't think Brisbane shuts down at 9pm on the weekend at all if that's what you meant. Sydney and Melbourne definitely have far more but on the weekend there is still dozens of pubs/nightclubs open often to 3-5am in the morning. And there has been for decades. I would say the hours are more liberal than when I lived in the UK as more people in Brisbane go out late around 11pm and go nightclubbing where pubbing earlier in the night was more popular in the UK so more were finished earlier. I can understand people missing it if looking in the middle of the city though as they are mostly in the Valley, West End, Gabba, South Brisbane, Paddington etc and the CBD one's can be hard to spot if you don't know the city well.

To the OP I would say if you're an urban person looking to party go to Melbourne, if you are into outdoor stuff and looking for a mix of outdoor/party life then Brisbane might be better....though obviously it's just odds as you could be happy or sad in either...hard to tell...you can't visit both first ?

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 15th 2012 at 7:09 am.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Slight correction DECENT men are in short supply in Brisbane
Another correction. Decent men are short in Brisbane. I'm short.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

To add another opinion I don't think Brisbane shuts down at 9pm on the weekend at all if that's what you meant. Sydney and Melbourne definitely have far more but on the weekend there is still dozens of pubs/nightclubs open often to 3-5am in the morning. And there has been for decades. I would say the hours are more liberal than when I lived in the UK as more people in Brisbane go out late around 11pm and go nightclubbing where pubbing earlier in the night was more popular in the UK so more were finished earlier. I can understand people missing it if looking in the middle of the city though as they are mostly in the Valley, West End, Gabba, South Brisbane, Paddington etc and the CBD one's can be hard to spot if you don't know the city well.
Agree. Plenty going on. Son mid twenties is living in brisbane for a while.

Lives on 20th floor of shared city apartment, 150 a week, walks to work, no need for car, out 3/4 times a week, he only knew one other lad down there when he moved, now knows hundreds of people to socialize with.

Very into the music scene, has had several girlfriends, nothing serious as thats not what he wants, ever the single I fear Very good income, wild weekends on gold coast most months. Sports events, races, footy, nightclubs, pubs and music. The 9pm thing is the suburbs and the main street mall, look elsewhere as mentioned above.

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 15th 2012 at 10:32 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Another correction. Decent men are short in Brisbane. I'm short.
I'll give you that one, in my experience too most of the decent men in Brisbane are short!!!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank,

Congratulations on accepting the opportunity!! I agree with bcworld - the ability to make friends will depend more on you and if you are prepared to go out and look for them!!

We are living in Melbourne and love it! I've only spent a night in Brisbane so can't really compare but to be honest from what I've heard I think we would enjoy living in Brisbane too - the experience is what you make of it

Brisbane definitely has better weather so if that's a big factor for you then it could sway your decision but there is so much to do in Melbourne from bars and restaurants in the city to weekend trips to the great ocean road and wineries in the Mornington peninsula!! I do know some people who came over by themselves and would find people on gum tree to do weekend trips with, it's a bit random but great way of doing things and meeting new people!

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any Melbourne specific questions!
Good luck!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice on Australian cities

Years ago before we emigrated I wrote a couple of threads when I reccied both Brisbane and Melbourne - ended up choosing Melbourne and love it. Here's the links to the reccie threads but they are 6 years old now!

Brisbane reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Melbourne reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388

BB
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, replies have been really helpful

Still not 100% decided on which city I will go to, but feel happier now that I would enjoy either one.

I like the nightlife of London with all the bars and restaurants on offer so would appreciate that in Melbourne, also like the idea of year round sunshine in Brisbane. Maybe will end up flipping a coin!

Frank
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Years ago before we emigrated I wrote a couple of threads when I reccied both Brisbane and Melbourne - ended up choosing Melbourne and love it. Here's the links to the reccie threads but they are 6 years old now!

Brisbane reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

Melbourne reccie - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388

BB
Thanks, will have a read!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.