Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on areas in Adelaide

Advice on areas in Adelaide

Old May 25th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

karenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nice
Default Advice on areas in Adelaide

Has anyone done a house swap in Adelaide? We are a family of 4 coming over for 4 weeks at xmas and are looking to do a swap anywhere in Adelaide. We live in Formby Merseyside England and own a 4 bed period house. We will be validating our visa and it will be the first time we have been over, so most of our time will be looking for the right place to settle the following September when we emigrate properly. Any info would be appreciated and I can supply photos to anyone interested.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

karenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nice
Default Re: anyone out there from Merseyside or Cheshire in Adelaide

Hi, my name is Karen and Im emigrating with my husband Nige 45, Oscar 7 and Aaron 3 from Formby in Merseyside to Adelaide. Is there anyone in Adelaide who can give me advise on areas. Im looking at Sterling and Burnside as they seem to have village feel and good comunity, but I may be wrong. Which areas should I avoid? Any advise please.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on areas in Adelaide

Hi Karen, I am from Merseyside too (Liverpool) and have lived in Adelaide for 16 years. I can't do the house swap unfortunately but I can give you some advice on good/bad areas.

Burnside and Stirling are lovely areas but are quite upmarket and therefore pricey - I can recommend Blackwood if you would like to live in a hills location with a bit of a community feel to it. It has it's own shopping area and good public transport links.

If you would like to be near the beach, Hove, Brighton and Somerton Park are nice areas.

Places to avoid - anywhere that has the words Elizabeth, Salisbury or Para in it's name. Also best to avoid the Noarlunga area in the south; Christies Beach, Christie Downs and Hackham. Also the Port Adelaide area.

Hope this helps
Old May 26th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mersyside thanks for your avise will take a look at those areas, am very xited at coming over xmas time. Do people normally just rent a house or flat if coming over for a month, any advise would be helpful. Have you got a family and what area do you live in?
Old May 26th 2011, 8:02 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

The New estate in Noarlunga is OK, just not the rough parts (becomes apparent when you look at the houses!!)
Port Noarlunga is beautiful, but if you're planning on working in the City it's a bit far south!
The Hills are all lovely but as the previous poster said very pricey! As is Burnside (which is even more pricey!)
West Lakes is more reasonable and Henley Beach is v v v nice with a lovely community feel lots of restaurants and coffee shops.

Somerton and Brighton are also fab, but finding a decent rental is nearly impossible for less than $700 per week!

Glenelg is pretty, but very touristy.

Can't help with the swop sorry, but wish you the best of luck with the house hunt!
Also you must visit Norton Summit.... the view of the city is absolutely amazing!!!
Old May 26th 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Allypally, great advise thanks, where do you live and why did you choose there? Karen
Old May 29th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenformby
Hi Mersyside thanks for your avise will take a look at those areas, am very xited at coming over xmas time. Do people normally just rent a house or flat if coming over for a month, any advise would be helpful. Have you got a family and what area do you live in?
Hi Karen, your best bet would be to rent a holiday let or short term rental for a month, there are plenty of them in Adelaide both in the city itself and surrounding suburbs. It might be best to book one earlyish as you are coming over for Christmas which is also the main summer holidays in Australia.

I live in Flagstaff Hill which is south of the city in the Adelaide Hills.

Here is a link that may be helpful to you concerning short term rentals

http://www.adelaideshorttermrentals.com.au/
Old May 30th 2011, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what the previous posters have said about the Adelaide Hills. Stirling, Aldgate etc. are fairly pricey, but if you move a bit further out, property prices drop substantially.

We live in Nairne which is a 35 minute drive into the CBD, has a nice feel about it, and isn't as much of a suburb as Mt Barker (yet!).

If we were buying again, we'd definitely look in Nairne and Littlehampton.

Cheers

LG