Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice about Darwin would be appreciated

Advice about Darwin would be appreciated

Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Ellied71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice about Darwin would be appreciated

Hi there this is my 2nd post other than my introduction and hopefully someone can help. My OH and I have dreamt about emigrating from the UK to Australia for as long as I can remember. My OH has applied for a job in the oil and gas industry in Darwin and is doing well so far with the process. The company were advertising in the UK and are offering a relocation package. My OH's job is on the skilled migration list for 2013. Anyway have been doing lots and lots and lots of reading and to say we are terrified is an understatement. We realise that Darwin is different in many ways to other parts of the country but is it really a bad place to live and bring up children?We have two sons age 13 and 11 and I am sure you will understand that they are our main priority. We are a very open minded family and realise that everyones opinion will vary but some opinions from people living there would be fantastic. What are the schools like? We have been reading about state, catholic and private and are very confused to say the least. I wonder if we are clouded in our judgement because my hubby has tried and failed in the past to get a job in the country and now we may have the chance we may go somewhere unsuitable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about Darwin would be appreciated

Hi Ellied71

We initially moved straight from the UK to Darwin and were there for 4 years. We only moved in January and that was because hubby was relocated to melbourne.

Darwin can be a great place to bring up children! It has some great schools, many sporting opportunities and is ideally placed for fishing, camping etc.

It is a remote city though so you need to travel a long way to get anywhere else (but then you do if you live in Perth). It has everything you need - shopping centres, airport, hospitals, pubs, restaurants, loads of skate parks, outdoor bbqs, swimming pools, cinemas, touristy things, markets, national parks, and all year heat.

Hmm, yes, the heat can be a real problem for some people. During the dry season (Apr - Sept) it is beautiful. The wet season though is extremely humid and does get tiring - especially in the 'build up' in October. Contrary to popular belief though, it doesn't rain all day every day in the 'wet'. It normally rains in brief, but torrential spurts, for maybe 10-20 minutes once or twice a day - typically around 3.30pm, with a 'monsoon period' of a few days rain in January. Also, unlike the UK the rain is warm and within 10 minutes of it stopping the ground is dry and you can't tell it ever rained!

It is driving distance to National Parks. Kakadu is about 3 hours away, with Litchfield Park being only about 1.5 hours drive away. Litchfield is fabulous for swimming holes, although a lot of them close for the wet season. Katherine is also about 3 hours away and has some great hot springs - as does Daly Waters.

It can be quite expensive in Darwin - particularly house prices so make sure you take that into account when negotiating your salary package. Power bills are also quite high - especially if you use the air con a lot - which we did!

There are some good schools in Darwin. State schools are normally free - just uniforms and book packs to buy. Catholic and Private schools are fee paying. Different schools have different fees. Have a look at some of the schooling sites to compare the educational side of them. http://www.myschool.edu.au/

I personally don't feel Darwin is unsuitable. We even bought our first house there and rent it out for now. However, I know a few people who simply hate the heat, the remoteness and lack of shopping - No Myers/Aldi/Ikea etc.

Good luck x
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellied71
Hi there this is my 2nd post other than my introduction and hopefully someone can help. My OH and I have dreamt about emigrating from the UK to Australia for as long as I can remember. My OH has applied for a job in the oil and gas industry in Darwin and is doing well so far with the process. The company were advertising in the UK and are offering a relocation package. My OH's job is on the skilled migration list for 2013. Anyway have been doing lots and lots and lots of reading and to say we are terrified is an understatement. We realise that Darwin is different in many ways to other parts of the country but is it really a bad place to live and bring up children?We have two sons age 13 and 11 and I am sure you will understand that they are our main priority. We are a very open minded family and realise that everyones opinion will vary but some opinions from people living there would be fantastic. What are the schools like? We have been reading about state, catholic and private and are very confused to say the least. I wonder if we are clouded in our judgement because my hubby has tried and failed in the past to get a job in the country and now we may have the chance we may go somewhere unsuitable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to BE

Have a look for a poster called Geordie Mandy, she's written shedloads about her last few years in Darwin
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Gillian thank you that is really helpful and informative.

Pollyana thank you I have found Geordie Mandy and I am enjoying reading her posts.

Elaine
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi
We are currently living in Darwin after being 'relocated' from Brisbane.

We settled quickly into Brisbane and saw a future there- the weather was great, accessability for holidays and days out was fabulous.

Four months into Darwin and feel our Australian dream is over. The dry season hasbern short and with kids I amnot sure what we'll doin the wet. Dry season activities are great markets, festivals, bike rides, trips to litchfield, kakadu and Katherine. Wet season I think we'll hibernate. One average shopping centre two cinemas and a tenpin bowling place. good restaurants but need to fond inside ones. Ac is essential so electricity bills are steep!! We are trying to make the most of it but miss the Australian lifestyle that was Brissie. The joy of being on a 457.

Schools ok- kids go to one near the centre and I am jydt beginning to do relief work there. Some lovely people, alot who have been here years and dont really need friends and everyone on Inpex works silly hours :-(
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Meant to say - its ok but it'll be a shock- if its your only way in to oz then go for it - remember what may seem a huge salary to you may not go far - we pay $5000 pcm rent and you'll want funds to fly away for holidays as options limited locally . Best state school would be darwin middle/high or look into private/church schools. Good luck with decision feel free to pm me :-)
I am sure others will be more positive & i know a few people who came straight here from uk and love it.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Hi
We are currently living in Darwin after being 'relocated' from Brisbane.

We settled quickly into Brisbane and saw a future there- the weather was great, accessability for holidays and days out was fabulous.

Four months into Darwin and feel our Australian dream is over. The dry season hasbern short and with kids I amnot sure what we'll doin the wet. Dry season activities are great markets, festivals, bike rides, trips to litchfield, kakadu and Katherine. Wet season I think we'll hibernate. One average shopping centre two cinemas and a tenpin bowling place. good restaurants but need to fond inside ones. Ac is essential so electricity bills are steep!! We are trying to make the most of it but miss the Australian lifestyle that was Brissie. The joy of being on a 457.

Schools ok- kids go to one near the centre and I am jydt beginning to do relief work there. Some lovely people, alot who have been here years and dont really need friends and everyone on Inpex works silly hours :-(

Thanks for that.Its good to hear different opinions good, bad or somewhere in the middle. Sorry to hear though that it doesn't sound like its for you there. Will you be able to move on in the future? Hope you can make the most of it anyway!! I think if my OH is offered the job he has applied for we will definitely go for it even if it is in Darwin. Will just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Its funny though how you think you would jump at the chance to emigrate and when it does finally look like it could happen you have so many doubts. Maybe that's a sign for me that it will happen or maybe it means nothing at all. What part of Darwin are you in? We have been looking at the different suburbs and not sure where would be best for us.

Elaine
Old Sep 9th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Advice about Darwin would be appreciated

Have you had any more thoughts/luck?!

Darwin is split in three. Central darwin inc cullen bay, parap, fanny bay, stuart park and bayview. All nice areas expensive and central. The next popular area is lyons to the north a new development also nightcliff pleasant. Some people find palmerston gets you more house for your dollar though both the last two areas are 20 min out from the centre. We are in bayview - modern housing safe v middle class central but no soul !

You'll get temp accommodation which will give you time to look at schools and choose an area.

Humidity is just beginning so pleased to be getting work most days to stay in school's aircon :-)
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to say - its ok but it'll be a shock- if its your only way in to oz then go for it - remember what may seem a huge salary to you may not go far - we pay $5000 pcm rent and you'll want funds to fly away for holidays as options limited locally . Best state school would be darwin middle/high or look into private/church schools. Good luck with decision feel free to pm me :-)
I am sure others will be more positive & i know a few people who came straight here from uk and love it.
$5,000 a month for rent I thought Perth was expensive!

Can't offer any advice on Darwin, Ellie, but I do wish you all the best with your move. From what other posters have said, it sounds like you, your hubby and the kids will be just fine.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellied71
Thanks for that.Its good to hear different opinions good, bad or somewhere in the middle. Sorry to hear though that it doesn't sound like its for you there. Will you be able to move on in the future? Hope you can make the most of it anyway!! I think if my OH is offered the job he has applied for we will definitely go for it even if it is in Darwin. Will just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Its funny though how you think you would jump at the chance to emigrate and when it does finally look like it could happen you have so many doubts. Maybe that's a sign for me that it will happen or maybe it means nothing at all. What part of Darwin are you in? We have been looking at the different suburbs and not sure where would be best for us.

Elaine
Elaine, off topic but I noticed you talk about emigrating but you also are linking your move closely to a job offer. I was just wondering what visa you have? as if it is a sponsored visa then I would note that most people that get sponsored have only a temporary residency status.

Many 457 holders will go on to secure a permanent visa but it is not automatic, will not come through the passage of time, and many 457 holders will not become permanent residents.

It is just something to be aware of, I have seen too many people throw their everything into a move on a 457 visa and are left devastated when they lose their job and have to move back to the UK significantly worse off. The 457 visa is fine when the holder properly understands its purpose but when the holder thinks they have emigrated it can be a problem..

If you have managed to find an employer that will sponsor you for a permanent visa or indeed sorted the permanent visa yourself first, then well done and please ignore this post.

Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Have you had any more thoughts/luck?!

Darwin is split in three. Central darwin inc cullen bay, parap, fanny bay, stuart park and bayview. All nice areas expensive and central. The next popular area is lyons to the north a new development also nightcliff pleasant. Some people find palmerston gets you more house for your dollar though both the last two areas are 20 min out from the centre. We are in bayview - modern housing safe v middle class central but no soul !

You'll get temp accommodation which will give you time to look at schools and choose an area.

Humidity is just beginning so pleased to be getting work most days to stay in school's aircon :-)
Sorry for the delay replying, hoping not to jump the gun and jinx things. Anyway my OH went for a face to face meeting with someone from the UK based recruitment company working on behalf of the company in Darwin and it all looks very promising. We just need to hope that he does well now in his teleconference interview that should take place before the end of the month. We have read a lot of positives and negatives about Darwin and have decided to go for it so hopefully things will work out. Still a long way to go though but it feels good to be planning and researching. Thanks for the info about the areas to live. I had noticed some of these places so will add them all to my list and keep reading.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
$5,000 a month for rent I thought Perth was expensive!

Can't offer any advice on Darwin, Ellie, but I do wish you all the best with your move. From what other posters have said, it sounds like you, your hubby and the kids will be just fine.

Thanks anyway. From what we know so far we feel that we should fit in ok.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Elaine, off topic but I noticed you talk about emigrating but you also are linking your move closely to a job offer. I was just wondering what visa you have? as if it is a sponsored visa then I would note that most people that get sponsored have only a temporary residency status.

Many 457 holders will go on to secure a permanent visa but it is not automatic, will not come through the passage of time, and many 457 holders will not become permanent residents.

It is just something to be aware of, I have seen too many people throw their everything into a move on a 457 visa and are left devastated when they lose their job and have to move back to the UK significantly worse off. The 457 visa is fine when the holder properly understands its purpose but when the holder thinks they have emigrated it can be a problem..

If you have managed to find an employer that will sponsor you for a permanent visa or indeed sorted the permanent visa yourself first, then well done and please ignore this post.

Hi thanks for the advice however we are being offered a full relocation package with sponsorship and permanent residency. Its not 100% certain that we are going yet but it is looking more and more likely. I keep saying that but dont want to tempt fate by assuming everything will work out but dont want to be negative either. What the company provide all sounds good and we have been told that when we get there we will have a relocation person assigned to look after us all. My OH will just need to negotiate all the terms and conditions and hopefully it will be just what we need so fingers and toes crossed.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all. Rent is expensive in Darwin/Palmerston but you can get a beautiful property for a lot less than $5000 a month x
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

We moved here 5 years ago. A leap into the unknown - but we were ready for a change. We have loved it, suffered in our first wet, but now find only a few days a year unbearable, but the pool helps!
We were determined to have the mindset of calling Darwin home - rather than the UK. I found that helped. Also decided to give it a good go, before even visiting the Uk, so only now thinking about our first return at xmas.
In reality probably 50% love it, and 50% hate it.
Yes its small, but we like that.I moan that I am in a traffic jam if I have more than about 10 cars in front of me at the lights! You can get most things here, but they may have to be shipped. The local economy is good. Housing very expensive but agree with other poster there are loads of good properties for way less than 5K a month. Check out realestate.com.au for properties. My advise would to be to rent first, check out different areas. We like the Northern Suburb's, Palmerston is cheaper but wasn't for us.
My 11 year old son initially struggled, tears every day when taking him to school and it took him about 3 months to settle - difficult times. However, I look at him now, 16, driving, beach parties, going off with his mates fishing, lots of girls who think his accent is cute, goes off into the city with his mates, turned into a very confident young man with a wide circle off multi cultural friends. We put him in public schooling, and though he isn't there himself I would agree with other poster recommending Darwin High.
Best fishing in the world - finally succumbed last year and bought a boat.
Hope everything works out well for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.