Reload this Page >

Advanced Standing for DipEd

Advanced Standing for DipEd

Old May 2nd 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Matthew Daly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advanced Standing for DipEd

Dear All,

Has anybody had any experience in acquiring 'advanced standing' in working towards a Diploma in Education. I am a six year experienced teacher with two years experience as a Senior Leader BUT I am a GTP trained teacher

I am hoping that experience will be recognised in reducing the amount of time and cost required to update my qualification to teach - anybody with experience of this please let me know

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Matt
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advanced Standing for DipEd

You need to talk to the TAFE about RPL (recognition of prior learning).

Find Tafe where you wish to study
Ask course leader about RPL (over a coffee)
Prepare docs required and wait for result.

If there more than one tafe nearby I would talk to two. One might have an easier RPL process - the coffee chat will tell you the answer.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:53 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Are you talking about a diploma of education at tafe or a Grad Diploma of Education?
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

There must be an easier way to transfer your qualification than taking another one. I am currently studying for my BTeach, which is the equivalent of the Graduate Diploma in Education. I know that I was able to receive 60 credit points of RPL for my Engineering degree. They're pretty good at the RPL stuff over here as it seems to be quite common for people to swap universities part way through a degree.

Good luck with it anyway.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Branded is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matthew Daly
Dear All,

Has anybody had any experience in acquiring 'advanced standing' in working towards a Diploma in Education. I am a six year experienced teacher with two years experience as a Senior Leader BUT I am a GTP trained teacher

I am hoping that experience will be recognised in reducing the amount of time and cost required to update my qualification to teach - anybody with experience of this please let me know

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Matt
Depends on where you want to teach Matt. All primary and secondary school teachers in Australia have to be approved by the teachers registration board for each state/territory. They can advise on the minimum academic and practical qualifications required before you can teach.

In terms of getting the academic qualifications that's pretty straightforward. Again you need to know which state/territory you want to work in.

Each state/territory has several universities but only some of those universities will offer primary/secondary education/teaching degrees (and they are usually all degrees now, not diplomas - three year degrees at that).

Fortunately most of the universities here are very happy to accept evidence of current qualifications (UK quals should be a shoo-in) and (as has been pointed out - recognition of prior learning/current competencies).

In short it shouldn't be a huge problem for you but you will need to dig around a bit.

This might help - http://www.australiateachers.com/
Old May 27th 2011, 12:38 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

You might want to post in the teaching forum (below) for this one-quite a few teachers in there with the GTP issue. At bare minimum you'll need detailed records of prior study. Qualifications for teaching are fairly standard across Australia regardless of where you register but it may help you get the info you seek if you choose a state/territory & make contact. Similarly send enquiries to unis (never mind tafe they don't offer PGDE) to see if anyone can advise you based on your circumstance-this is where you'll need records of prior study (transcripts).