Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

adult dyslexic's in OZ

adult dyslexic's in OZ

Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:23 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice
Default adult dyslexic's in OZ

Hi

I just wondered if anyone who is dyslexic and already in oz could tell me how they have found things in Oz e.g. Have you found it hard to get a job?

thanks
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:57 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice
Default Re: adult dyslexic's in OZ

Can anyone help with this query ????
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:21 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hopefullybrisbane
Can anyone help with this query ????
I'm dyslexic and even though I'm not is Oz yet I haven't even considered it being a problem, why would it be any different in Oz to the UK? Can't see it being an issue to be honest.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:31 pm
Got Visa

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
I'm dyslexic and even though I'm not is Oz yet I haven't even considered it being a problem, why would it be any different in Oz to the UK? Can't see it being an issue to be honest.
I just wondered about peoples experiences in oz and if they had had any problems getting a job after mentioning their dyslexia. I am very worried about moving to OZ at the moment, so i was hoping to get rid of one worry lol
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered about peoples experiences in oz and if they had had any problems getting a job after mentioning their dyslexia. I am very worried about moving to OZ at the moment, so i was hoping to get rid of one worry lol
Why mention it? I have a heart condition but certainly don't mention it on my job application or in an interview.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I just wondered if anyone who is dyslexic and already in oz could tell me how they have found things in Oz e.g. Have you found it hard to get a job?

thanks
I havent found it a problem

but my PA and staff have
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:57 am
Got Visa

Quote: I havent found it a problem but my PA and staff have

I have my workmates laughing lots of times

Quote:Why mention it? I have a heart condition but certainly don't mention it on my job application or in an interview.

I have alway mentioned it as it is hard to hide once I start work as my spelling and reading can be very bad.
</IMG></IMG>
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:07 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

I have alway mentioned it as it is hard to hide once I start work as my spelling and reading can be very bad.

I'm quite lucky in that I work within media/arts were there is above average of dyslexic folk. I wouldn't worry about it to much, I'm sure you will be fine in Oz. Good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I don't think its much different to the uk, some blank looks from people as I don't think knowledge about it is as publicized as the uk. I have some trouble getting around words like wangarra and such like that are un familia but as said previously it makes my work mates laugh! Just be honest with people i have found most to be more relaxed than the uk and generally when i say I am Dyslexic get the response "no worries"

I am sure you will be fine.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

I am dyslexic dyscalculia and current work for a major national disability charity here in the UK. My family and I are relocating to Sunshine Coast come Jan 2008.

I shouldn't expect things to be too different there. Regarding telling people about your "disability" at interview stage - I would not necessary mention it unless it would deter you from doing your job (thank God for spell checks, eh).

If the application processes inquires about specific disabilities or special needs by all means declare it. Your "disability" should not preclude you from doing your job (again unless you have to numerically accurate in order to do it). It am not saying that you must hide from your prospective employer, but sometimes a misunderstanding or non-understanding of the condition will result in some form of non intentional prejudice.

We also have realise that sometime were are turned down, not as a result of our condition, but simply that better suited candidates have applied.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:03 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all you other dyslexics
I've now applied for two jobs and none have mentioned disabilities.
Therefore I'm saying nowt,until I land a job and I turn up with my spell checker and little pink sheet.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:25 am
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

Quote: I havent found it a problem but my PA and staff have

I have my workmates laughing lots of times

Quote:Why mention it? I have a heart condition but certainly don't mention it on my job application or in an interview.

</IMG></IMG>
Hi m8

Depending on what trade you do you will have no worries over here. The level of spelling etc is just the same here as in England, (in my trade) if not a little worse.

So stop worrying about it and have fun in the sun.

Martin
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:13 pm
Got Visa

BIG thanks to every one who has replied you have made me feel alot better