Reload this Page >

adoption and emigration

Wikiposts

adoption and emigration

Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:15 am
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough
Default adoption and emigration

Just wondered if anyone has experience of emigrating after having adopted? We have one boy who is about to be formally adopted and another on the way. We have been putting off telling the social workers our plans does anyone have any experience of social services reactions to this bombshell?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: adoption and emigration

Originally Posted by judeyoga
Just wondered if anyone has experience of emigrating after having adopted? We have one boy who is about to be formally adopted and another on the way. We have been putting off telling the social workers our plans does anyone have any experience of social services reactions to this bombshell?
Hi,
thought you might like first hand experience of this question, I was a social worker working in adoption and fostering for 4 years, obviously any social worker in their right mind would be a little miffed if you suddenley said like the day after the adoption that you were emigrating!!, I really does depend upon how open the adoption is as to the recation that you will get. Eg sibling, family contact, reason for the adoption, was the child relinquished? Are the two children siblings?
But of course you have formally adopted the children and so I presume you are free to move as you please, you may be referred to support services in Australia as some adotions do of course break down.

Hope this helps
kelly
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:13 am
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough
Default Re: adoption and emigration

Originally Posted by samjam
Hi,
thought you might like first hand experience of this question, I was a social worker working in adoption and fostering for 4 years, obviously any social worker in their right mind would be a little miffed if you suddenley said like the day after the adoption that you were emigrating!!, I really does depend upon how open the adoption is as to the recation that you will get. Eg sibling, family contact, reason for the adoption, was the child relinquished? Are the two children siblings?
But of course you have formally adopted the children and so I presume you are free to move as you please, you may be referred to support services in Australia as some adotions do of course break down.

Hope this helps
kelly
Thanks for the advice Kelly,
There is only letter box contact between the littlies and birth mum - no intention of having any more direct (on SS recomendation) - they have birth siblings but contact here is unlikely too. The 2 boys are siblings by the way.

I guess we are being cowards - because we know that we have the best of intentions for doing this, and (no offence!) but can't wait for the day when we don't have to answer to Social services and can get on with a 'normal life' - but we don't want to upset the apple cart!