Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - Where to live for young thirty-something?

Adelaide - Where to live for young thirty-something?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all
Default Adelaide - Where to live for young thirty-something?

Hi,

I'm planning on living in Adelaide for 2 years as part of my regional skilled provisional visa and having problems deciding on which area to live. I'm quite fascinated by cities in the way different areas attract different sorts of people and, being aware of my home city, I'm keen to live in an area that suits my personality.

I'm a young thirty something professional, single and sociable. I'm pretty easygoing, into the usual of someone my age, bars/restaurants, the occasional club, festivals, parties. To give you an idea I've never been a fan of those cheesier area's of town. You know the area's that attract chain corporate pubs and normally trouble. I guess I prefer more genuine alternative areas with friendly people etc. So I'd like to live in an area that would give me the best chance of meeting like minded people. I love the beach and am heavily into surfing but aware Adelaide isn't great for this so may have to wait until I move to another state.

I was considering bang in the centre near Hutt St (to be close to bars/restaurants/easy to meet up with workmates etc.) but also considering maybe somewhere near the beach. However I don't want to end up isolated with nowhere to go/hang out with in the evening.

Any idea's folks?

Last edited by Alborg; Aug 26th 2008 at 12:54 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - Where to live for young thirty-something?

Glenelg if you can afford it

There's some lovely suburbs surrounding there too. There is also a tram into the city from there.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Glenelg if you can afford it

There's some lovely suburbs surrounding there too. There is also a tram into the city from there.
Snowtown if your unemployed
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alborg
Hi,

I'm planning on living in Adelaide for 2 years as part of my regional skilled provisional visa and having problems deciding on which area to live. I'm quite fascinated by cities in the way different areas attract different sorts of people and, being aware of my home city, I'm keen to live in an area that suits my personality.

I'm a young thirty something professional, single and sociable. I'm pretty easygoing, into the usual of someone my age, bars/restaurants, the occasional club, festivals, parties. To give you an idea I've never been a fan of those cheesier area's of town. You know the area's that attract chain corporate pubs and normally trouble. I guess I prefer more genuine alternative areas with friendly people etc. So I'd like to live in an area that would give me the best chance of meeting like minded people. I love the beach and am heavily into surfing but aware Adelaide isn't great for this so may have to wait until I move to another state.

I was considering bang in the centre near Hutt St (to be close to bars/restaurants/easy to meet up with workmates etc.) but also considering maybe somewhere near the beach. However I don't want to end up isolated with nowhere to go/hang out with in the evening.

Any idea's folks?
hi mate...glenelg or the city is your best bet..we are selling up and looking to move to glenelg(renting) like you. me and the girlfriend same age and into the same things.we live in reynella which we find ok but its not for couples.there is some good surfing beaches south of glenelg 20-30mins away 1st thing i did is bought a surfboard try to relive my youth..lol
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Thanks Glenelg it might be. Just been wandering around Glenelg on google maps "street view".

Looks like it might be my kind of place
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Norwood, Kent Town.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Drew813 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be quite honest mate your probably better off in the city, popped down to glenelg the other day, seemed ok but, being single and all your probably better being in the mix abit more?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Norwood looks like a good option. Yeah see what you mean about Glenelg. Where do all the Uni students live/hangout?

Think I'll live in a backpackers for a couple of weeks when I arrive to get a feel of the place, check out the rental market etc.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Snowtown if your unemployed
Nah, the people are a bit dead up there

Norwood looks like a good option. Yeah see what you mean about Glenelg. Where do all the Uni students live/hangout?

Think I'll live in a backpackers for a couple of weeks when I arrive to get a feel of the place, check out the rental market etc.
That's the best idea.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

We're also hoping to emigrate to Adelaide so i'm very interested in this post and any more information anyone can offer. I'm 25 and my partner is 29. I'm hoping to continue working within the charity sector so will probably have to commute to the town centre and my partner is a chef so we need somewhere with lots of options for him (although I don't think we'll have a problem with that in Adelaide!).

I have been reading up a bit about the places already suggested (Norwood/Kent town/ Glenelg) so that's really helpful but if anyone can offer any more advice it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that Glenelg has a hire population of the elderly compared with other areas?

Thanks (and sorry for crashing your post!)
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:15 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

how about North Adelaide? lots to do locally and only a few minutes from the city

i have to say all the places mentioned on this thread are expensive areas to live ...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

this obviously won't be true for everyone but I've found that most aussie students live at home with parents, the Uni culture we know and love from the Uk isn't the same here. probably to do with the fact that most students in the Uk move to another city for uni, but here most tend to stay in their home city.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by donovandenese
this obviously won't be true for everyone but I've found that most aussie students live at home with parents, the Uni culture we know and love from the Uk isn't the same here. probably to do with the fact that most students in the Uk move to another city for uni, but here most tend to stay in their home city.
But...

There is a good sized population of overseas students in Adelaide as well.

As the areas like Norwood, Kent Town, Kensington and surrounding suburbs, North Adelaide are considered very safe, nice and very close to the city there is a lot of the students of the female variety living there.
That might interest OP
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Kent town/Norwood it is Mipik.