Reload this Page >

Adelaide! are we weird?

Adelaide! are we weird?

Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yam Yam is on a distinguished road
Default Adelaide! are we weird?

Hi All

This is my first thread for a while, because the stress of the whole Aus/visa/moving experience has affected me a bit.

Me and the misses have recently returned from a month trip to Aus taking in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. We had a fantastic time and although we did feel we would miss family when we were there permanently coming back has made us realise what an opportunity we have on our hands.

Any way we liked the places we visited in the following order.

1) Adelaide
2) Perth
3)Melbourne

Now to explain the title of this thread, I have to say that most Aussies we came across havent got much good to say about Adelaide, infact many said it was a 'hole'. That did make us panic before arriving but we were pleasantly surprised with its 'vibe' kind of small town, but growing, but not a too fast a pace.

Are we strange for liking Adelaide. Perth was great, but dependance on the car there is high and Melbourne was just to big and to fast for our liking?

Any other people like Adelaide too!!??

Yam Yam
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:53 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide! are we weird?

Originally Posted by Yam Yam
Hi All

This is my first thread for a while, because the stress of the whole Aus/visa/moving experience has affected me a bit.

Me and the misses have recently returned from a month trip to Aus taking in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. We had a fantastic time and although we did feel we would miss family when we were there permanently coming back has made us realise what an opportunity we have on our hands.

1) Adelaide
2) Perth
3)Melbourne

Now to explain the title of this thread, I have to say that most Aussies we came across havent got much good to say about Adelaide, infact many said it was a 'hole'. That did make us panic before arriving but we were pleasantly surprised with its 'vibe' kind of small town, but growing, but not a too fast a pace.

Are we strange for liking Adelaide. Perth was great, but dependance on the car there is high and Melbourne was just to big and to fast for our liking?

Yam Yam
One of my customers moved to Adelaide just over two years ago and love it
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:01 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

1) Adelaide
2) Perth
3)Melbourne

Yam Yam

Don't know cause we've never visited although interesting to hear about it. When we originally applied for PR we were definitely set on Adelaide although through time that changed to Brisbane. After visiting Brisbane we were sold.

Could you tell us more about Adelaide though? Would be interested to hear.

Cheers
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

deano will become famous soon enoughdeano will become famous soon enough

Hi All

1) Adelaide
2) Perth
3)Melbourne

Yam Yam
hi yam yam, we're heading to adelaide in november, good to hear that you enjoyed it, we've never been there but have chosen adelaide as our new home when we emigrate. we're in dudley, close to the merry hill centre so it couldn't possibly be any worse!! when do you go for good? we've got 11 weeks left and we can't wait! just waiting for the word from solicitors at the moment for our completion date on the house and then it's stuff into the container and on it's way and we'll be staying with rels until the big day! dean and angie. :scared:
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hi, I don't think you are weird for wanting to go to Adelaide. It is a very pretty city. It has more of a 'big country town' feel to it than Melbourne or Sydney.

It does not have the excitement or night life that the two main cities have, but so what. If you are looking for a quite life this could be so much better. (Adelaide is known as the 'City of Churches')

That said you will probably find that Australians seriously slander all other states' capital cities.

Australians are VERY parochial and most don't like any other city, or state for that matter, than their own!

If you like Adelaide - go for it!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

When i was in oz there was quite a bit of knocking Adelaide, saying its got nothing to offer and other intercity rivalry things, but you get that here. So i would take it with a pinch of salt as you said you liked it and it's you who is going to live there so go with your own impression of what you thought of it. Have you checked out the Adelaidebrits, site probably the best people to give you a honest view.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link for ADELAIDEBRITS
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:40 pm
wombat42

Adelaide is seen as a weird place because It seems to have alot of weird and brutal crimes for such a small city. The recent Snowtown " bodies in the barrels "serial killings probably made this image alot worse.
Salman Rushdie described it" as the perfect place for a Stephen King novel or a horror film" :scared:

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 10th 2005 at 10:13 pm.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

SA has the most relaxed rules on cannabis use, and possession of small amounts and a few plants attracts a caution and fine only, not a criminal conviction.

ACT is also fairly relaxed in this area too.

Some information on the cannabis laws in the different Oz juristictions is here => http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/downl...atedLinkID=757
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Perth was great, but dependance on the car there is high...

What a strange view to of come away with, I would of said Perth and the Metro area surrounding it is one of the easiest places to get around by public transport, we've often thought its a bit of a waste having a car as we only really use it to drive to work and stick it in a carpark. We use buses/train/taxis in the evenings to go out so we can have a
Transport in the City is free and Taxis are so much cheaper than in the UK.
The only problem we'd really have is that there's not a particularily good bus service running up and down the coast line, so getting to other beaches without a car is a bit tricky.
Steve
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:08 am
wombat42

Adelaide's the land of the living dead. Theres nothing to do, it has the oldest popualtion in the country, Its full of old age pensioners, sitting around waiting to die,boring old redneck stiffs still living in the 1950's, bible bashers and weirdo serial killers like Hannibal Lecter eating each other, like in the Snowtown serial killings case and everyone else is on the dole or on drugs. The economy is stuffed the worst in the country. Go to Melbourne or get out while you still can.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 11th 2005 at 1:16 am.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest, I haven't heard many great things about Adelaide but I have never been so can't hold judgement. As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison. You have to live there so if you liked it then that's all that matters.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
To be honest, I haven't heard many great things about Adelaide but I have never been so can't hold judgement. As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison. You have to live there so if you liked it then that's all that matters.
I've heard it's full of bogons and all the people with "get up and go" get up and go to Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:25 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wombat42
Adelaide's the land of the living dead. Theres nothing to do, it has the oldest popualtion in the country, Its full of old age pensioners, sitting around waiting to die,boring old redneck stiffs still living in the 1950's, bible bashers and weirdo serial killers like Hannibal Lecter eating each other, like in the Snowtown serial killings case and everyone else is on the dole or on drugs. The economy is stuffed the worst in the country. Go to Melbourne or get out while you still can.
Proof of true Aussie parochialism!!! I take it you are a Victorian from Melbourne then Wombat!! And you don't like SA or Adelaide? Get out of town!! You're kidding!??!

We don't live in Adelaide....its too big for me, but if forced to live in a city i would be choosing either Adelaide or Brisbane. Got fed up with the rat race living in London. Melbourne and Sydney are great for a weekend trip, or if you are a townie, but living there? Not for me. Miles and miles of legoland suburbs. Would be ok if you can afford to live in the city, or one of the outlying villages. It is....to be honest the same to a degree in any of the aussie cities.

Adelaides a nice place. We go up there often to visit rellies, and don't worry...there is PLENTY to do. Cinemas, bolwling, ice skating, museums, sportgrounds, theatres, concerts. You name it....Adelaide will have it to some degree. Thing i like about Adelaide is that its not scary to drive around like Melbourne/Sydney. The hills are on your doorstep too, with lots of things to experience.

One of the biggest draws to the area would probably be the weather....its pretty good, similar to a mediterranean climate.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:28 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
I've heard it's full of bogons and all the people with "get up and go" get up and go to Melbourne or Sydney.
Yea but Renth, any Aussie will say that about places they don't live in. You should hear the things they say about Perth and WA in SA.... (people in Perth don't really do that stuff to camels do they?? :scared: )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.