Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 10:00 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Hi,

We have been living in Adelaide for 5 years now and love it.

However, we are ready for another move and have just been offered jobs in Sydney and we are moving in July 16.

Please help with the following.

1) Looking for an affordable rental - I will be working in the city and hubby at the airport- any suggestions? Budget is around $700p/w - we don't want to live close to the beach.
2) Good State High school - we want to organize everything from here before we move as we hope our son to start school in Sydney after school holidays in July.
3) Any experience with sending a car interstate?
4) Any recommendations for removal companies?

Thanks very much

Mari
sunny side is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:46 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,438
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by sunny side View Post
Hi,

We have been living in Adelaide for 5 years now and love it.

However, we are ready for another move and have just been offered jobs in Sydney and we are moving in July 16.

Please help with the following.

1) Looking for an affordable rental - I will be working in the city and hubby at the airport- any suggestions? Budget is around $700p/w - we don't want to live close to the beach.
2) Good State High school - we want to organize everything from here before we move as we hope our son to start school in Sydney after school holidays in July.
3) Any experience with sending a car interstate?
4) Any recommendations for removal companies?

Thanks very much

Mari
Probably inner west. More to the south. Marrickville maybe.

If you don't want to be near the beach then lots of options.

What do you like? What type of suburb do you want to live in. Inner city cosmopolitan? Surburban white man? Surburban middle eastern? Lots of different types that would satisfy your budget.

Oh and I would say, make sure your new jobs pay the Sydney weighting - the extra you receive from your current Adelaide salaries that cover the more you will pay in rent.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:22 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Thanks, Beoz.

We don't mind any really as long as the area is safe and has easy access to the city and airport. Also a good high school is important.

Last edited by sunny side; Apr 23rd 2016 at 2:25 pm.
sunny side is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:30 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,438
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by sunny side View Post
Thanks, Beoz.

We don't mind any really as long as the area is safe and has easy access to the city and airport. Also a good high school is important.
I can't help you on schools but google probably can. http://bettereducation.com.au/school/secondary/nsw/sydney_top_government_secondary_schools.aspx

Will you be driving to the airport or will it be public transport? City will most likely be public transport.

Have a look at the Sydney train map. There's too many options for city access. Not as much for airport access. Also with the train to the airport, they hit you with high charge for the train which may not make it feasible for weekly train travel.

Sounds like you need a carpark at airport and train station to city as a first priority. Then once you've got the car park you can then do driving commute times in Google.

Oh. Most areas are safe on your budget. Gets a little hairy in the western suburbs but your budget shouldn't take you into those parts.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:27 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post

Oh. Most areas are safe on your budget. Gets a little hairy in the western suburbs but your budget shouldn't take you into those parts.
Puzzled by your budget comments, seems to suggest this is a decent budget. I would have definitely put it as a modest budget for Sydney, assuming a house is desired not apartment, and would have thought they need to be very careful about areas.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:16 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,438
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
Puzzled by your budget comments, seems to suggest this is a decent budget. I would have definitely put it as a modest budget for Sydney, assuming a house is desired not apartment, and would have thought they need to be very careful about areas.
Why? They don't want to be near the beach so that opens up a lot of options which is why I suggested Marrickville.
26 Pine St Marrickville NSW 2204

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-flat-nsw-marrickville-418246162

They poster hasn't really given us any preferences about type of areas.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:27 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Why? They don't want to be near the beach so that opens up a lot of options which is why I suggested Marrickville.
26 Pine St Marrickville NSW 2204

26 Pine St Marrickville NSW 2204 - Flat for Rent #418246162 - realestate.com.au

They poster hasn't really given us any preferences about type of areas.
I don't know Marrickville, the house looks pretty modest and might not be big enough for a family, although we do not know anything about this family of course.

Anyway I just thougt you might be giving the impression that this is a good budget and OP can pick and choose what area they want to live in, whereas in fact they will be priced out of many parts of Sydney.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:09 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,438
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
I don't know Marrickville, the house looks pretty modest and might not be big enough for a family, although we do not know anything about this family of course.

Anyway I just thougt you might be giving the impression that this is a good budget and OP can pick and choose what area they want to live in, whereas in fact they will be priced out of many parts of Sydney.
I thought they budgeted quite well. They clearly took the beach premium out of the equation which means they know they can't pick and choose anywhere they like on that budget.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 10:14 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Thanks, appreciate the info.

We are a family of 3 - hubby and 14 year old son.

Someone else suggested to look at Easter suburbs too and the Illawarra train line. Any feedback on that would be great.
sunny side is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2016, 10:37 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,438
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by sunny side View Post
Thanks, appreciate the info.

We are a family of 3 - hubby and 14 year old son.

Someone else suggested to look at Easter suburbs too and the Illawarra train line. Any feedback on that would be great.
Well the Eastern Suburbs will set you beyond your budget.

Maybe the other end of the Illawara line towards Penshurst, Oatley, or in the shire. Gymea or something around there.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:47 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Oatley area looks very nice. I think it would suit us coming from Adelaide!

But getting a placement in school is becoming an issue. They are either selective or no out of zone placements are available for this year.

Looks like we have to wait until end May to look for a place to stay. Most advertised houses are available now but we wont be able to move before early July.
sunny side is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:46 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 96
sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Finally I am ready to give an update on my move to Sydney. We live in an area called Carss Park. On one side we have Hursville and Miranda on the other side - both 10-20 minutes from where we live.

I work in the city so I take the train from Hursville even though Kograh and Allawah are closer to me. Hurstville is a hub so more frequent trains. I sometime drive to train station but easier to take a bus as parking is very difficult.

We are in a quiet area but about 30 min to city on an express train. So it's not too bad.

My husband works at the airport so it in a 15-20 min drive during off peak hours. It shouldn't take more than 30-40 min even during peak hours.

We are close to the waters and have good food areas around us. That's something I love about Sydney. You can eat almost any cuisine here. Lot of European, Chines, Thai, Middle Eastern food to choose from.

The weather is warmer here than Adelaide and more pleasant on most days except for the few heat waves we have had. I was in a suburb called Penrith on the hottest day and our car showed outside temperature as 49degrees!

That's it from me.

Last edited by sunny side; Feb 25th 2017 at 9:48 pm.
sunny side is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:16 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Still Game's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In a big country, dreams stay with you ...
Posts: 822
Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

Originally Posted by sunny side View Post
We are close to the waters and have good food areas around us. That's something I love about Sydney. You can eat almost any cuisine here. Lot of European, Chines, Thai, Middle Eastern food to choose from.
I so agree with you on this. We loved the different foods you can try just about everywhere every night of the week. So much Asian (Oriental) influence. So tasty!

Glad all is working out for you, how lovely to be by the water and have such short commutes. Hoping everything turns out fabulously for you!
Still Game is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.